1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 years of the RAF

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diddums, 10 Jul 2018.

1. Shawreyboy

Wise Guy

The howling from the intakes is something else. Lucky I was able to see Vulcan before she retired when it flew over.

Shawrey

2. bloodiedathame

Sgarrista

Damn, didn't see anything from where I was.

3. Efour

Caporegime

very nice pics

4. Housey

Man of Honour

All over business of late.

Forums taking a back seat presently because of it.

5. Housey

Man of Honour

I was lucky enough to get a personal flypast, Martin Withers at the controls too.

6. Domo

Mobster

Gonna be at RIAT this Saturday so should get to see most of these plus a hell of a lot more. 2nd year in a row (missed the surprise B2 and the Raptor flying last year though). Wish I had a decent camera but iPhone Plus 6S it is! :o
    https://www.airtattoo.com

7. Kutter

Mobster

One lucky forum member was in the fly over. You are such a lucky sod!!!!!!

8. NooBish AbbZ

Mobster

I was on the Mall today and i thought the same, but it's to be expected if you think about it, other than the rotary's most of the fixed wings are just ticking over at that speed :p

spare and/or a 'whip' aircraft which sits above the formation to help get them into accurate formation :) RAF Coningsby have shared a few photos on facebook from said whip aircraft this evening :)

9. ivrytwr3

Mobster

The whole thing was impressive, from the flypasts to the drill ceremony at Buck Palace.

10. Wang Computer

Wise Guy

Watched from Green Park on my lunch break. It was actually a fairly impressive display. Even though I've seen the Red Arrows around 30 times, they always give me goosebumps.

The park was actually fairly packed full of people shakily filming the aircraft in the wrong aspect ratio on their phones. I don't get it - it's much nicer to watch things with your actual eyeballs.

11. Diddums

Capodecina

Agreed. Here at work I mentioned the flyover to a load of people and before I knew it there were loads of people on the terrace holding their phones up and watching the tiny little screens to make sure they weren't missing anything. Me, being the superior and all knowing human I am, was well aware that there would be terabytes of footage of the flyover so just stood there and enjoyed it.

(this is a new thing btw, had this happened two years ago I would've also been filming, I think I'm just getting old)

12. Diddums

Capodecina

Oh and whilst we're celebrating the RAF, this documentary is a must see. It really does highlight what an amazing bunch of heroes we have. They had to get an old Vulcan airworthy again and to give you an idea of the attitude they had, one of the parts they required was being used as an ash tray in the mess room, so they cleaned it up and fitted it :D

Amazing stuff, you must watch this if you haven't already.

13. The Funktopus

Mobster

Isn’t the whole point of those that you don’t know they’re coming in the first place? :D

14. pattojones

Hitman

There are plenty who have done longer but I find it hard to believe I served for very nearly a fifth of those 100 years!

15. mattcrane

Hitman

18years here myself.

I was stationed at RAF Marham when it hosted the 75th Anniversary my god the weather was atrocious, glad they had better weather this time round.

16. mmj_uk

Capodecina

A Lancaster did a couple of fly-by's over the house recently it was an amazing sight, I only took notice of what was flying overhead because of the engine noise. It was flying really low as well. They should just build a fleet of them along with Spitfires/Hurricanes and have some kind of display like the Red Arrows do.

17. Dis86

Caporegime

You need to sort your priorities.

18. -UnderClocker-

Gangster

Haha!

I was able to watch it with my colleagues at work, from the roof of our building. Surprised how slow those planes can fly without stalling!

19. Rroff

Man of Honour

Parents took us up there one year when I was a kid - you can't even imagine what it is like when the Tornados go through on "full afterburner" (or at least that is the perception of what they are doing) unless experiencing it in person.

20. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

Two Vampires flew over my house yesterday evening. Loud gits! :p