1000+ OCCT Errors

Soldato
Hi guys,

A new one on me, OCCT errors...

I'm cobbling together from known working bits that I have laying around, a little home office set up. Using a stock Dell Optiplex 3020 as my foundation. I'm 99.9% sure I know what the issue is but asking the experts can't help right?

OCCT-20200924-074336-CPUOCCT.png

Post build, I like to do a bit of stability testing and I know I quit after 11 minutes but I didn't see the point in letting the test continue. I think I've got an insufficiently gunned PSU. It's the stock Dell one, 270w or thereabouts iirc?

No overclocking but the build has gone from;

4GB to 8GB
1x SATA to 1x SSD, 1x SATA
i3-4150 to an i5-4690
- that's was probably the killer blow if I'm honest :D

So, a new PSU?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
For one thing CPU VRM of that board is likely good for something like 45W TDP CPUs.
And that's very very generous estimate:
Only three phases and those are cripples and zero cooling.
https://www.dell.com/support/manual...8ac1e1-18ef-46eb-bb0b-39ac2e5d41fe&lang=en-us

No doubt PSU is also crappy cheapo and by now gone to crap.
Thanks! I've ordered a 450w Corsair today, so hopefully that should get the build back on track...

The mobo you've linked to is for the sff variant, I used to have one of those too. This is the board in the midi tower setup:
lmb10743-w1711-1.jpg

That's a point actually, I'm assuming the new power supply will work with it?!

Soldato
OP
Still a 3 phase board. Did you check the number of cores/threads? The last time i put a 4770S in one of those it only registered 4 cores 4 threads and enabling HT made it see 2 cores and 4 threads, madness.
Ha, I'll have to check tomorrow now... I'm pretty sure it is showing 4x cores? I think the 4670S was one of the original chips to ship with this config. I stripped my one out of a machine I was donated a few years back - still more than capable for what I need. I was being greedy with the 4690 :D

Soldato
OP
Checked and in Windows, seeing all 4 cores... in Task Manager and CPU-Z anyway. Intel Turbo boost was disabled in the bios, that was keeping the chip running at stock speed. It goes above that now but not by very much, certainly not the 3.8GHz as advertised :D

I just happy I have a stable setup.

Back
Top Bottom