100m Cat6 cable into RJ45

Associate
Hello people,

Could anyone tell me what cable is best for me to buy? i want a good quality cable, i'm looking for around 100m.

I'm concerned that some people say they have issues with fitting the cat6 into an RJ45 connection? is this because the have bought a version with a screen or a shield as they call it?

I should have no issue fitting a RJ45 to a Unshielded cat 6 should i?

Thanks people

Don
Look for Excel or CCS (connectix) cable.

You're not meant to put RJ45 ends on cat6, it's supposed to be for punching down into modules and patch panels.

Although you can buy cat6 RJ45 ends.

Don
Is there a reason you are needing Cat6 over Cat5e?

Cat5e is easier to install and work with, as it is thinner and bends easier than Cat6 (Cat6 normally has a central hard plastic spine).

As above, is there a reason you are putting RJ45 ends onto a long run of cable, rather than using a patch panel or punchdown faceplates?

RJ45's are "meant" to be used with Stranded cable. Patch panels or Faceplates are "meant" to be used with Solid cable.

Whilst things will often work with any combination of the above, ideally you should have everything matching, i.e. Solid Cat5e cable with Faceplates/Patch Panel, or Stranded Cat5e with Cat5 RJ45s (or Stranded Cat6 with Cat6 RJ45s)

If you are thinking you need Cat6 for future proofing - then really you need to look at Cat6A (as Cat6 will only do 10Gb up to around 55 Metres, 6A is 100 Metres), but that comes with it's own set of intricacies regarding correct termination.

Back
Top Bottom