• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1050 or 1050TI

Associate
Not for any gaming whatsoever but I'm looking to get a budget GPU for a HTPC as I think the old GT610 is bottlenecking the i5-2500S and DVB-T2 is pixelating. It seems fine if there aren't too many HD instances on the go and signal strength and levels are good so I'm thinking it's the GT610. I don't use it from streaming, but it's just used as a PVR and blurays. Don't have any 4K in use as TV / monitors are still 1080.

Looking at a GTX1050 low profile card that doesn't need any additional power and there's a £30 difference between the 2GB and 4GB TI, is it worth the extra if not gaming or will I get the benefit of / small future proofing even though it's an old card? Hopefully not a silly question but the i5-2500s specs say PCI Express Rev 2.0, will I get any improvement if I also upgrade to a i5-3xxx CPU for PCI Express Rev 3.0 performance over Rev 2.0? No0t clued up on all the latest hardware so any suggestions gladly accepted.

I did read and watch some reviews that tend to concentrate on gaming and fps, some games benefit from the TI and other games the fps were on par. I'm sensing the jump from the GT610 to the GTX1050 will be a vast improvement and I don't need to worry about fps if not gaming.

PS: Ideally single slot card but I see everything tends to take up two slots these days...

Associate
OP
Thanks, that was one that I looked at first but I wasn't sure if I should be paying more or less attention to online bottleneck calculators or if they're just primary for gaming bottlenecks and not general day to day media...

Back
Top Bottom