• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1060 6GB but only have 1 molex from PSU....?

Associate
i got my hands on a new HP Z440 but obviously more designed for business/cad but i will be using for general and gaming

Intel Xeon E5 1630 v3 3.7ghz
16gb ram
512ssd

700 watt psu

I will be adding 3 extra drives and the GPU.

I have enough sata/power cables to supply drives in each slot but has no 6pin for GPU and only 1 available molex.

Can this 1 molex supply a 1060? can i use a molex to 6pin adapter..
even though most adapter are 2molex to 6pin

or do i need a new psu even though this is powerful enough

any advise be great.. this is quite a high end meaty PC just not your average gaming PC

thanks

Associate
OP
ps... I have the pc just not added my drives and awaiting for the gpu to arrive.. hoping to build all this weekend so need to make sure i have the cables ready.

thanks again

Permabanned
It's a bit strange that a 700 watt PSU hasn't got the cables you need, What PSU is it? If it's a cheap one it'd be worth buying yourself a good quality PSU, A 550 or 600 watt model will be fine for a 1060 build. I recently bought an EVGA G2 650watt, It's a great PSU with a 7 year warranty, You can't go wrong with a Gold rated psu from EVGA or Superflower.

Associate
Looked at the specs for the Z440. It's a true workstation and can come with a variety of cpus, memory and quite beefy pro graphics cards that would require PCIE connections.
The 700W seems to be standard across the range. Is it modular - ie plug-in cables? Their may be extra cables with it. If not check whether unused captive cables are hidden out of the way in the tower (zip tied).

Edit - they list a 525W as well. You should be fine with the 700W.

Associate
OP
just taking a photo for you guys and then i noticed the front fan has 2 large ish cables going into.. a 90cm fan wouldn't need these cables, i can see its small cable going to the motherboard.

further inspection they are 2 6pin cables and they are just docked into the fan to keep out of the way.. not actually being used.... so i have 2... cool

so i should be ok... now just waiting for stock of my asus 1060

thanks all

Associate
Don't like the HP desktops but I've used a few workstations for CAD and CAD/CAM and they were good sturdy machines. Even better when they're free and new :D

Back
Top Bottom