• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1060 6gb vs 1070 at 1080p which one?

Associate
Hi all,

I am currently looking for a new GPU however i won't be buying it until a few months when funds allow. Anyway i was wondering which one of these two cards would be best for a i5 6500? i was thinking about changing to Ryzen 2 but i think i'll wait another year till i upgrade my CPU. I will be gaming at 1080p as stated and will want to be playing at Ultra stable 60fps. Is the 1070 a overkill for 1080p? and would my I5 6500 make it a bottleneck if i went with that card? the 1060s are around £312 and the 1070s are about £100 + more.

Thanks for the help

Soldato
We don't know how thing's will look in a few months time, if mining takes off again 1070's could be 1k or mining might be really dead and people cannot give away 1070's for £50 :p Anyone with a crystal ball might be able to help though :p

Soldato
The 1070 would be the preferable choice. The 1060 would do a decent job but it's level of performance is getting a bit long in the tooth. As above though it's best to wait and see what prices are like when you have the funds.

Associate
obviously a 1070 is faster than a 1060, but whether that margin will dictate if the card can hold 60fps will depend on what game it is. I'm using a 1070 (w/ ryzen 1700) at 1440p and am pretty happy with it (although still wish I'd bought a 1080ti before the mining renaissance!).

regarding your CPU, it will be fine for most games, however some newer games (BF1, AC:Origins etc) really need more cores/threads to maintain a solid framerate. you could drop in a 6700k (and OC it, assuming your motherboard supports it), but if you still struggle then it's platform upgrade time.

so really the main question is what games are you playing or looking forward to most?

and as LeMson mentioned, if you can't afford to buy now, not much point giving it much thought as mining is dying off at the moment and prices are going to drop, unless mining picks up again, in which case they may go even higher. Hopefully we'll have some news on the next round of cards from both vendors shortly which will help you to make choice!

Associate
OP
obviously a 1070 is faster than a 1060, but whether that margin will dictate if the card can hold 60fps will depend on what game it is. I'm using a 1070 (w/ ryzen 1700) at 1440p and am pretty happy with it (although still wish I'd bought a 1080ti before the mining renaissance!).

regarding your CPU, it will be fine for most games, however some newer games (BF1, AC:Origins etc) really need more cores/threads to maintain a solid framerate. you could drop in a 6700k (and OC it, assuming your motherboard supports it), but if you still struggle then it's platform upgrade time.

so really the main question is what games are you playing or looking forward to most?

and as LeMson mentioned, if you can't afford to buy now, not much point giving it much thought as mining is dying off at the moment and prices are going to drop, unless mining picks up again, in which case they may go even higher. Hopefully we'll have some news on the next round of cards from both vendors shortly which will help you to make choice!

i will be looking to play RTS games like Warhammer, Racing sims, AAA games and a few Esport titles. so a variety of games just wanted to know which one to go for now so i now how much i will need to save. But as you said its difficult with the mining

Soldato
Where would the 1070 be?

Oops! Yea forgot that one. I guess the 1070 slots in-between the 1080 and 1060.

Of course I said 'with exceptions'. Those that have high refresh rate monitors might want the 1070 at 1080/1200p or alternatively a cheaper card to run 1440p.

But in my opinion it takes a 1080 to drive 1440p with Ultra or near ultra quality.

Some might want a 1080ti at 1440p to get 144fps +.

Associate
OP
Oops! Yea forgot that one. I guess the 1070 slots in-between the 1080 and 1060.

Of course I said 'with exceptions'. Those that have high refresh rate monitors might want the 1070 at 1080/1200p or alternatively a cheaper card to run 1440p.

But in my opinion it takes a 1080 to drive 1440p with Ultra or near ultra quality.

Some might want a 1080ti at 1440p to get 144fps +.
No worries. Thanks for the help I am still abit undecided but at least I know abit more about the cards.
Many thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom