• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080 ti upgrade

Associate
Hi guys been out of the scene for some time and was thinking of upgrading my 1080ti I game @1440p on a 37" what do you thing would be a good upgrade ? don't want to spend silly money :)
Brian

Caporegime
Prices are slowly improving but they're still nuts.

Anyways, I'd probably look at nothing lower than a 6800 or ~3070/Ti if coming from a 1080Ti.

Associate
I think my 1080ti is dying led's all burnt out 1 of 3 fan not working and artefacts in games prob running hot :)
Have you got MSI afterburner? Monitor the temps etc. The Ti should still handle 1440p rather well. Unless you can get even with a 3060 Ti I'd look at 3070 minimum.. I only got a 3060 Ti because A it was MSRP and B I could sell my Titan Xp for the same price or more than the 3060 Ti

Soldato
I'll DL afterburner and see where i stand It's the middle fan that has stopped working don't know if that's good /bad

I would be buying a new fan and redoing the thermal paste on the card and saving a lot of money that way and saves it becoming E-waste.

Take the fan off thats broken and stick the part number on the back of the fan on the sticker into google, you will find many places that sell them.

The LEDS are not a problem if they die unless you want to replace them for working ones too, again maybe worth checking on google or just buying new LEDS or strip and solder it on if you want the LEDS working. I wouldn't worry about the LEDS and just get the card working and get some more use out of it as it's still a good card and if the performance is what you are happy with well I would invest in a new fan, thermal paste and a good clean, maybe the thermal pads need replacing too, but only one way to find out is by taking it apart and seeing if they also need changing.

The artifacting is probably the fact one fan is dead and needs a good clean out and new thermal paste and pads to get it back to normal working temperatures, have you checked the temps it hits when used and have you tried ramping up the fans that work to see if it stops artifacting and lowering the power use to control the temps ?

Associate
Now really isn't the time to buy unless you absolutely have to, replace the fan/s and wait until you can get a 3080 ideally FE at £650. Obviously if you really must have a new card then do pay £300-600 more than you really should have to and line some scalper/profiteering retailer's pocket but I'd avoid buying until prices normalise in the next 3-6 months.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi guys been out of the scene for some time and was thinking of upgrading my 1080ti I game @1440p on a 37" what do you thing would be a good upgrade ? don't want to spend silly money :)
Brian
Like already said, there's no upgrade to a 1080 ti that isn't silly money, repair your card if possible.

Soldato
I guess a 3070Ti FE or 3080 FE at MSRP would be the ones to shoot for to get a significant boost in performance, but getting one of them is the issue. If you could sort the 1080Ti then you'd get £350-400 towards it in today's market, and that's a long way towards a 3080FE

Back
Top Bottom