• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080Ti and an i7 5820K

Associate
Hi folks,

I currently have a 980Ti and I'm seriously considering upgrading to one of the non-Founders Edition 1080Tis but I'm wondering if my current processor (an i7 5820K) may in some way hold back its performance. I know that, when gaming, the CPU isn't usually stressed much if at all but I don't know if there might be some element of its architecture that could hobble the graphics card in some way. This is my current system:

ASUS X99 Deluxe II motherboard
Intel Core i7 5820K (running at 4080MHz) with a Corsair H115i liquid CPU cooler
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 Quad Channel RAM running at 2448MHz
MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G
Corsair HX1000i PSU
Various SSDs and an NVMe drive

Any thoughts or views on the balance of my system would be welcome, thanks! :)

Associate
I Have pretty much the same set up an I got the Aorus 1080ti and seen a pretty big jump in performance. Really not sure why you think your processor would hold it back, it is still a get cpu with loads of legs left in it. Just change the multiplier to 44, mines at 4.4ghz with no voltage increase.

Soldato
Hi folks,

I currently have a 980Ti and I'm seriously considering upgrading to one of the non-Founders Edition 1080Tis but I'm wondering if my current processor (an i7 5820K) may in some way hold back its performance. I know that, when gaming, the CPU isn't usually stressed much if at all but I don't know if there might be some element of its architecture that could hobble the graphics card in some way. This is my current system:

ASUS X99 Deluxe II motherboard
Intel Core i7 5820K (running at 4080MHz) with a Corsair H115i liquid CPU cooler
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 Quad Channel RAM running at 2448MHz
MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G
Corsair HX1000i PSU
Various SSDs and an NVMe drive

Any thoughts or views on the balance of my system would be welcome, thanks! :)

i got a 5930K went from a 1080 to 1080TI got a 30% improvement :)

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. That's good to hear. I think I was just concerned that I might not get the full value out of an upgrade if my CPU wasn't quite so current.
I'll see about pushing the processor a bit more - I just used the ASUS EZ Overclock Wizard within BIOS as I thought that'd be a reasonably safe and easy option.

Associate
When I checked at the time of buying a 5820k last year (just post brexit before the prices went mental) the FPS impact of 5820k and a 6800k were negligible, especially as 5820k was more consistent in overclocking.

Got mine running at 4.5k with a 1080ti and it is lush. Clearly didn't win the silicon lottery though as mine requires a reasonable voltage bump to be stable, not really an issue though with the giant Noctua cooler sitting on it.

Associate
Thanks guys. That's good to hear. I think I was just concerned that I might not get the full value out of an upgrade if my CPU wasn't quite so current.
I'll see about pushing the processor a bit more - I just used the ASUS EZ Overclock Wizard within BIOS as I thought that'd be a reasonably safe and easy option.
Just clock it to 4.4Ghz and you'll be more than fine!

Associate
The problem with the wizards is that they just use set profiles, however each chip is different. You should be able to do a fairly basic OC to hit 4.4 (presuming you use decent aftermarket cooling as these chips generate heat under load). A million guides written, but what I did was use the wizard to generate a start point on my vcore (see what they thought would work), and then gradually adjust it up and down so that you hit stability with the least amount required.

Soldato
Still a processor that's going to run strong for a few more years yet. Never had an issue even when I had 1080Ti's in SLI.

If you haven't already just give it an overclock to 4.4-4.5ghz, most will do without much issue. Decent cooler etc, if you haven't already got one.

Soldato
Can you even stress your 5820k? Everything I throw at mine hardly touches it, a billion chrome tabs, multiple instances of games, it's still like - come at me bro!

Edit: 1.3 volts and 45 multiplier! Go for it!

Last edited:
Soldato
Now that Ryzen is here there is an assumption that we all need more cores and threads. It's false. Pretty much any i7 from the past 5 years will drive any GPU, and the higher your resolution the less important the CPU is.

Which monitor do you game on?

Associate
yes, the GPU will take most of the load but the CPU will be fine for helping out too.

That's alright then! I was worried my build wasn't going to make the most out of a 1080ti!

Yup, fine for a while yet but you will get a benefit when you go for an i7 :)

I've always gone for i5's though as I don't really like spending more than around £200 on a CPU and the i5's have been good value for money.

I've been offered about £200 for my i5 4690k bundle (CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, memory) which would mean about a £300 upgrade cost to a Ryzen 1700 which is quite tempting to say the least!

Back
Top Bottom