• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The whole problem there: it's all arbitrary. That slider you drag in the settings is just an arbitrary limit made up by the developers, based on experience from running their game on probably only a handful of configurations to come to some range of settings that should work for all users. Basically, my point: so what if you can't max that one slider as long as it still looks great?
A lot of people cannot bear to use anything but maximum settings. Just the way they are wired or just do not know what's what. For me I love having all the options in the settings and enjoy tweaking and see what makes a difference in image quality. For starters I turn of many settings that make image quality better for me, think of depth of field motion blur etc. I love image quality and if there was always a big difference between the top two settings in textures then I would be more concerned about 10gb, but that just is not the case. If it was people would be posting saying here, look at the difference, I can't play it looking like that when this exists.

Soldato
Yeah, each to their own. £649 is already a lot for a GPU imo and as mentioned the more you spend the chances are the more it depreciates which I am not a fan of as I like to recycle the same money for my next GPU :p

Hence for me it is not worth it for a handful of games that I can just go down one setting textures which in my experience makes very little difference :D

Agree.

I would have preferred the 3080 (when I was in the mindset of buying one) to have have had 12GB minimum (yeh, I know that configuration isn't possible) but after getting caught up in Jacket man's hype (I should know better at my age), I tossed my prior £500 limit out of the window to get one, even with "only" 10GB but only at £649.

I'll now wait and see if prices drop back down to RRP (doubt it) once supply ramps up/demand decreases, and keep an eye out for a s/h 2080Ti.

Associate
So I am going to jump from an intel hd 5500 to a rtx 3080. Its going to be amazing, but do y'all think if im keeping the card for 4-5 years, 10gb will be good enough for high settings no AA at 1440p? I have no experience i have never owned a video card before. I will only buy the 20gb card if its only $100 more any more than that and it loses my money. Hope amd can compete im interested in seeing what rdna2 is going to do this time.

I am just worried 10gb might turn out to be like 1060 3gb which aged like milk...

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of people cannot bear to use anything but maximum settings. Just the way they are wired or just do not know what's what. For me I love having all the options in the settings and enjoy tweaking and see what makes a difference in image quality. For starters I turn of many settings that make image quality better for me, think of depth of field motion blur etc. I love image quality and if there was always a big difference between the top two settings in textures then I would be more concerned about 10gb, but that just is not the case. If it was people would be posting saying here, look at the difference, I can't play it looking like that when this exists.

Always been that way - back when MSAA was still widely used people would feel like they had to use 8x option that developers put in there even though the difference was marginal compared to 4xAA and barely noticeable outside of zoomed in shots. And of course it would mean a big perf hit and VRAM usage increase.

Still a risk that with the new consoles developers will be less efficient with VRAM usage. Couple that with some dodgy PC porting and may see a few titles need more than 10GB at settings where the 3080 still has some GPU grunt in the tank. Though to be fair the only game to ever cause me real VRAM issues was Arkham Knight on my 970 :p

Associate
The whole problem there: it's all arbitrary. That slider you drag in the settings is just an arbitrary limit made up by the developers, based on experience from running their game on probably only a handful of configurations to come to some range of settings that should work for all users. Basically, my point: so what if you can't max that one slider as long as it still looks great?

I want to turn it up to 11.

Soldato
There is far too much logic from people here :p

I'd like to address one misconception, the idea that for those who keep cards for a relatively long time will suffer more from the 'low' vram. In my own personal experience running an 1080 for 4 years, you get used to making compromises with game settings. In 3-4 years you're unlikely to be playing new AAA games with all the candy at max, you'll already have many settings and medium or high so textures being medium aint gonna sway me.

And there ain't a snowball's chance in hell a game will come out that just doesn't run on 10GB vram cause if only the few with enthusiast cards can play it, people won't buy it. Nowadays games are all about making that paper...

Caporegime
It depends what the slider is. I've been gaming since before 3D cards were invented so I have been used to compromising on settings when I need to over the years. Nowadays, I really just don't want to on a £700 purchase unless the GPU is not able to power that setting at acceptable framerates. A lack of VRAM is not a reason for lowering detail when the card is capable of powering those settings and I would rather pay more for extra VRAM to make sure it isn't a limitation.

If the PC gaming community, both on forums and experienced techtubers, are already talking about VRAM limitations on a brand new GPU release in 2020, and Nvidia already felt the need to explain why they added only 10GB to a new high-end card, then it's already something to be potentially concerned about imo. Nvidia clearly did this on purpose with a strategy of releasing higher VRAM cards to counter what AMD releases.

From the Nvidia Q&A:

Q: Why only 10 GB of memory for RTX 3080? How was that determined to be a sufficient number, when it is stagnant from the previous generation?

Link

We’re constantly analyzing memory requirements of the latest games and regularly review with game developers to understand their memory needs for current and upcoming games. The goal of 3080 is to give you great performance at up to 4k resolution with all the settings maxed out at the best possible price. In order to do this, you need a very powerful GPU with high speed memory and enough memory to meet the needs of the games. A few examples - if you look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Gears of War 5, Borderlands 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 running on a 3080 at 4k with Max settings (including any applicable high res texture packs) and RTX On, when the game supports it, you get in the range of 60-100fps and use anywhere from 4GB to 6GB of memory. Extra memory is always nice to have but it would increase the price of the graphics card, so we need to find the right balance.

10GB was a cost limitation exercise and based on current gaming needs (the games used as an example are also a couple of years old now). It was not necessarily a forward-looking decision and they even say more VRAM is always good.

So in summary, people are free to believe and buy what they want, we don't have to agree and I will stick with buying decisions that have worked well for me over the decades that I have been buying GPU's. I trust my intuition and logic based on my experiences.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It depends what the slider is. I've been gaming since before 3D cards were invented so I have been used to compromising on settings when I need to over the years. Nowadays, I really just don't want to on a £700 purchase unless the GPU is not able to power that setting at acceptable framerates. A lack of VRAM is not a reason for lowering detail when the card is capable of powering those settings and I would rather pay more for extra VRAM to make sure it isn't a limitation.

If the PC gaming community, both on forums and experienced techtubers, are already talking about VRAM limitations on a brand new GPU release in 2020 then it's already something to be potentially concerned about imo.
That is why they have 24gb 3090 for people who are concerned like you though ;) If not wait a few months and pay extra £200+ for a 3080 with 20gb.

Only way I see 20gb 3080 being cheaper than expected is AMD forcing them into a position where they have to take smaller profits. Will be interesting to see if that happens :)

If AMD have better RT, which I just can't see happening, I will be canelling my 3080 order.

Yes there is a bit of moral danger here for NVIDIA with the 3090 under performing and a huge backlog of 3080 pre-orders outstanding.
AMD has an opportunity here, can they make something happen with RDNA2 or will it be a dud?

Guess we will find out soon enough.

Permabanned
That is why they have 24gb 3090 for people who are concerned like you though ;) If not wait a few months and pay extra £200+ for a 3080 with 20gb.

Only way I see 20gb 3080 being cheaper than expected is AMD forcing them into a position where they have to take smaller profits. Will be interesting to see if that happens :)

Don't be silly, 20GB won't be enough. Just pay a little bit more again and get the 3090 :p

I think it was Shadow of War that offered an optional high res texture pack, which I downloaded and tried at the time of release. I don't know what I expected, but you really couldn't tell the difference while playing. Complete waste of download time and storage space.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
TNA don't start writing silly things, you've managed to be sensible so far so please stick with it. :)
Hahahaha ;):D

There's other settings!
To the MAX is the only way :)
Agreed. Turn off all the rubbish like motion blur, depth of field, film grain, chromatic aberration etc :D

Don't be silly, 20GB won't be enough. Just pay a little bit more again and get the 3090 :p
;)

I think it was Shadow of War that offered an optional high res texture pack, which I downloaded and tried at the time of release. I don't know what I expected, but you really couldn't tell the difference while playing. Complete waste of download time and storage space.
But people must have maximum, even if it makes 1% difference that you won't notice when playing. This then will lead to 10gb not being enough... Lol.

Associate
I really do hope all the people here thinking that 10gb 6X ram isn't enough hold off purchasing the 3080, in fact I promote waiting for RTXxx 9380 Rev B.01 as thats gonna have 96 terabytes virtual Holo Vram, I hear that can play all games in 8k resolution with hi rez texture mods at 60fps and pipe you off at the same time!!

In the mean time the non snow flakes among us who realise the sky isn't falling and dont wear a tin foil hat while researching conspiracy theories in our mothers spare room can move further along the queue, get our 3080 sooner and enjoy playing 4k games without any problems for the next couple of years at which point we come back here to purchase the next gen GPU's only to see you still harping on about stuff you clearly just aren't smart enough to grasp how the 6X works and that Vram size and allocation are not related during game play with this new tech and that perhaps you need to stop thinking about how your ZX SPectrum allocates it's 48k!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom