• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No one with an ounce of sense is considering gaming at 8k.

Also, given the small difference in perf between the 3080 and the 3090 and the huge difference in price. How can you possibly insert a good value card between the 2? A 20GB card is going to be at least several hundred pounds more expensive with at best, a tiny improvement in performance.
I reckon a 20GB 3080 with exactly the same perf as the 3080 10GB gpu for £200 extra would sell amazingly

That would be the GPU i would buy ;)

Caporegime
No one with an ounce of sense is considering gaming at 8k.

Also, given the small difference in perf between the 3080 and the 3090 and the huge difference in price. How can you possibly insert a good value card between the 2? A 20GB card is going to be at least several hundred pounds more expensive with at best, a tiny improvement in performance.
I highly doubt a 20GB card is going to be 50% extra cost ('several hundred') for the 0% additional performance increase that would be brought by simply doubling the VRAM. Not unless they change or add other specs, anyway.

I reckon a 20GB 3080 with exactly the same perf as the 3080 10GB gpu for £200 extra would sell amazingly

This is what I think will happen... a £150-£200 increase. Any more and it would lose any appeal for me.

The AMD 6900XT is going to be prices similar to the 3080 with 16GB VRAM and I think this will cause Nvidia some concern that will stop them pricing the 20GB 3080 too high.

Associate
It's possible, but it's not a thing. The minimum frame rate is also under 30fps. But sure, if you want to call it a thing then go ahead and call it a thing. *shrugs*
well thats my point...for enthusists who wanted the latest tech. when 4k was availible it was 30fps on a single card..you needed SLI to get close to 60. my point is back then after 4k become a thing.. it was not long before they started implementing it into games settings ie texture quality... so what im saying is now that 8k is a thing. it means future games are going to be using that texutre quality as a new ultra setting. prob why 20gb cards are coming out.

Soldato
I highly doubt a 20GB card is going to be 50% extra cost ('several hundred') for the 0% additional performance increase that would be brought by simply doubling the VRAM. Not unless they change or add other specs, anyway.

This is what I think will happen... a £150-£200 increase. Any more and it would lose any appeal for me.

The AMD 6900XT is going to be prices similar to the 3080 with 16GB VRAM and I think this will cause Nvidia some concern that will stop them pricing the 20GB 3080 too high.

Nvidia will need to wait for 2gb chips to go into production, or use the 3090 PCB to have room for more 1gb on the back of the card....and extra cooling for those chips

It's not just the cost of the extra RAM. I'm guessing the most cost-effective route will be to wait for the 2gb modules.

Associate
This thread is still going :eek:

Is 10GB enough Vram for the latest flagship GPU ? Answer = No

No need for anymore replies :p:p:p:p:p
So would you pay $200 more for 10gb of more vram? That would depriciate the value idk i might just go for amd or 3080 10gb if its $200-$300 more that's just a waste imo

I wish they got like 12gb minimum on this card would have been great...

Soldato

That would be the GPU i would buy ;)

Depends how long the 20GB one takes to release. I doubt you'll see it for 6 months, one of the reasons I went for a 3090 now. 6 Months is a long time to enjoy the best performance possible at 4k on my CX48 and my valve index.

Soldato
Depends how long the 20GB one takes to release. I doubt you'll see it for 6 months, one of the reasons I went for a 3090 now. 6 Months is a long time to enjoy the best performance possible at 4k on my CX48 and my valve index.
I really thought about buying a 3090
but then i thought there only one game i play (MS FS 2020) at the moment that needs the extra performance of a 3090 over my 2080ti and that it would just be totally stupid for me to splash out around £1600+ on a GPU for just for a single game.

If i do get more games later on that need that extra performance then i will just buy one then..

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing is you could buy a 3080 10GB and sell it off for a 20GB version when it comes and it would likely still be hundreds cheaper doing that than going straight for the 3090
Am kind of hoping that by the time we have 4 or 5 games out (3 to 6 months) that need the higher performance of a 3080/3090 the prices and stock levels problems would have settled and the new AMD GPU's & 20GB 3080 will be out by then

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Thing is you could buy a 3080 10GB and sell it off for a 20GB version when it comes and it would likely still be hundreds cheaper doing that than going straight for the 3090
Exactly. How many games will come out in the next 6 months that will be held back by 10gb? Hardly any, and not like as if we all play every game that comes out, it may end up being games you would never buy anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
The thing is people keep banging on about 4k gaming etc without realising the amount of people who game at 4k is so small it's pointless talking about. Now if you game at 4k then yes discuss it but for the other 95% of people who play games the 3080 and the 3070 will be fine for ages.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The thing is people keep banging on about 4k gaming etc without realising the amount of people who game at 4k is so small it's pointless talking about. Now if you game at 4k then yes discuss it but for the other 95% of people who play games the 3080 and the 3070 will be fine for ages.
True that.

Some are even starting to bang on about 8K gaming to try and push their views. Cracks me up. Lol

Associate
I remember buying a 4K monitor many years ago, big mistake, visually amazing but it makes GPU purchases very expensive (if you want 60FPS+ gaming).

Caporegime
The thing is people keep banging on about 4k gaming etc without realising the amount of people who game at 4k is so small it's pointless talking about.
Thats simply not true that it's "pointless" talking about 4k. An increasing amount of people are buying 4k monitors and gaming TVs now.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Thats simply not true that it's "pointless" talking about 4k. An increasing amount of people are buying 4k monitors and gaming TVs now.
Sure not pointless, but the way people go on about it not being enough makes it sound like 95% are on 4K already. Which is the point he was trying to make I believe.

Caporegime
Sure not pointless, but the way people go on about it not being enough makes it sound like 95% are on 4K already. Which is the point he was trying to make I believe.
4k is now becoming mainstream this generation, the consoles will ensure this in addition to the new Nvidia and AMD GPU's. Anyone saying things like "it's pointless talking about 4k" deserves no attention in these discussions, regardless of the point they are "trying" to make.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
4k is now becoming mainstream this generation, the consoles will ensure this in addition to the new Nvidia and AMD GPU's. Anyone saying things like "it's pointless talking about 4k" deserves no attention in these discussions, regardless of the point they are "trying" to make.
Not even sure it will be mainstream next generation let alone this one.

Caporegime
Not even sure it will be mainstream next generation let alone this one.
The new 4k consoles will normalise it, so yes of course it will enter the mainstream this generation. No-one is saying that the majority of PC gamers will game at 4k, but an ever-increasing proportion certainly will now that the new GPU's can power it in many of games and 4k gaming monitors are getting increasingly cheap to produce and buy now.

TrM

TrM

Associate
The new 4k consoles will normalise it, so yes of course it will enter the mainstream this generation. No-one is saying that the majority of PC gamers will game at 4k, but an ever-increasing proportion certainly will now that the new GPU's can power it in many of games and 4k gaming monitors are getting increasingly cheap to produce and buy now.

whilst 4K will be pushed along a lot by consoles and more importantly 4K TVs are cheap enough now that perants like myself will easily buy on one for there bedrooms now. Pc gaming high refresh rate has taken off a lot even tv are doing the same on the top models. That lies the problem 4K 144hz or 120hz 165hz depending on the monitor maker is still out of reach for all of us. Monitors are still expensive for that and even the mighty 3000 series will struggle at that heights of refresh rate.

it’s still the same position we’ve had for quite a while 4K 60fps or 1440p 144hz the choice hasn’t changed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom