10GbE switch, PCIe card + USB 3.0 to 2.5GbE ethernet adapter

Soldato
Spec me a 10GbE switch, a 2.5GbE NiC + 2.5 GbE USB3.0 converter cable. I only need just over 200MB/s with a little wiggle room for burst transfer from cache. 2.5GbE (bits) translates to 312.5MB/s (bytes).

I bought a USB 3.0 hub with 3 usb sockets and one usb plug and a gigabit ethernet port on the other end. Connected to my router this does nothing, no internal IP address negotiation is going on (its use case is for exanding the ports of a laptop without ethernet port).

Currently I use a program called freefilesync to back up my raid10 array on my Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570. The program first scans the folder pairs for changes and then I accept the proposed changes to my backup. In the disk checking phase the Raid10 always finishes first but the 3 external drives in WD elements enclosures are reading simultanuously and they all can hit over 200MB/s. Gigabit ethernet is 125MB/s (1000/8) so this would be a severe bottleneck.

I want to keep my onboard nic connected to my virgin superhub and then use the addin NIC card to send data to a switch with 10GbE ports, then connect a USB3.1 gen 1 (5Gb/s=625MB/s) to 2.5GbE ethernet converter (312.5MB/s) between the external usb drives and the switch.

I could use my old build (only lacks a power supply), to house the disks; I've even already bought a dvi-d to hdmi cable. Is it ok to hook up display port & hdmi and switch between on the fly?

Soldato
You’ve bought a USB 3 hub, it’s designed to give a computer additional USB 3 ports and a network interface, you can’t just plug USB drives into it and connect the network port to your router and expect it to work, it’s a dumb hub, not a network device, that’s why it’s doing nothing. It’s the same story with your plan to connect your USB drives using USB network adapters, that’s not how networking works. Why can’t you connect the drives direct to the PC? This is both fast, simple and free.

Back
Top Bottom