15" MBP 2017

Soldato
Hi all,

I am looking at a used 15" MBP 2017 - Specs -2.8ghz i7 / 16gb / 256gb / Readeon Pro 555 gpu

I am being offered it for £1400, I have had a scout around the usual places and price looks ok.

What issues did the 2017 suffer from?

Thanks

Soldato
Keyboard and flex cable for screen being too short may cause display issues (flexgate). Not sure of any other issues.

Soldato
Keyboard and flex cable for screen being too short may cause display issues (flexgate). Not sure of any other issues.

Hmmm, never heard of this flexgate thing before so did a google search. The articles I can find which is about this apparent flexgate thing all point towards an Ifixit article which show pictures of the cable in question in completely the wrong place so no wonder it's tight and doesn't reach. It goes under the Antenna bar on these models, not over it. Not saying it isn't a thing but I have never come across it myself and have repaired literally hundreds of them.

Quite surprising too as iFixit is generally regarded as a good site. Where did you hear about this or personal experience??

edit: lol it does seem to be reported everywhere. I genuinely have never heard or seen of it. Apple has said nothing about it at all either. Strange!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks all, I have seen the keyboard issues and ok with that. The mac has applecare until 2021 so it will be covered.

Now to negotiate the price :D
It's covered even without Applecare

https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

It's such a PITA when you need to take it in for replacement. Although worth doing when you sell as they replaced the whole top deck on mine which was a new mobo/CPU and battery as well as a keyboard. Managed to sell mine with 1 battery cycle :D

Soldato
Soldato
It's covered even without Applecare

https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

It's such a PITA when you need to take it in for replacement. Although worth doing when you sell as they replaced the whole top deck on mine which was a new mobo/CPU and battery as well as a keyboard. Managed to sell mine with 1 battery cycle :D

Top deck isn't inc CPU and GPU, it's just all the ports, keyboard, trackpad, speakers and battery

I had mine replaced 3 times in attempt to fix the headphone jack, before they replaced the logic board too, and display because they broke it on the process. But they still refused to just replace the laptop...

So essentially I ended up with a machine that had everything replaced in it.

Back
Top Bottom