£150-300 DAC need help!

Soldato
I'd be looking at a Creative X7 as it's very versatile. The modi is just a DAC, you'd still need a seperate amp (magni). If you are lucky you can sometimes snag them second hand for less then £200.

Soldato
Depends, do you want virtual surround for gaming? If you do then a sound card is essential, whether it be internal or external and this includes the Creative X7.

If stereo is all you need then a Schiit Modi 2 Uber and a Magni 2 will do you fine. You would need the Uber version of the Modi 2 as it has USB, Optical and Coaxial inputs, the standard Modi 2 only has USB. The Magni 2 is the actual headphone amp, which takes the line level signal from the Modi 2 / 2 Uber and takes it to suitable levels for headphone use.

Onkyo A9010 + Schiit Modi 2 = £305

I know this recommendation might seem bit different but in your shoes this is what I would do, the Onkyo is a fantastic stereo amp for the money, great for book shelf speakers, also the amp has it's own built in headphone amplifier that will even power high impedance headphones, if you really want a dac, and headphone/speaker amp for £300 or less I can't think of a better alternative.

edit -

Sorry misread and thought you wanted a speaker amp as well, rids57 recommendation above is good, but if you do want to power speakers as well my recommendation might suit you better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends, do you want virtual surround for gaming? If you do then a sound card is essential, whether it be internal or external and this includes the Creative X7.

If stereo is all you need then a Schiit Modi 2 Uber and a Magni 2 will do you fine. You would need the Uber version of the Modi 2 as it has USB, Optical and Coaxial inputs, the standard Modi 2 only has USB. The Magni 2 is the actual headphone amp, which takes the line level signal from the Modi 2 / 2 Uber and takes it to suitable levels for headphone use.
Basically that.

You'll need Magni 2 Uber if you want to include a speaker in your setup as well.

Associate
Another stereo option would be the Aune X1s for about £250. It has analogue, optical, coaxial and USB inputs and a headphone amp. It seems to have very good reviews.

Back
Top Bottom