16 to 32GB upgrade benefits?

Associate
I have just ordered 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 memory. To upgrade my system to 32GB (listed below). In the past I was under the impression that a memory upgrade from 16GB makes little difference, however I now don't believe this. After reviewing several YouTube vids on memory upgrades, the last review was how the ram affects performance in MS Flight Sim 2020, a side by side comparison from 16GB to 32GB was noticeable. Also, I recently contacted Corel about the sluggishness of my PSPX9 photo editor, and they said a memory upgrade would improve performance. Overclockers did not have this memory in stock, so I ordered it elsewhere. I am expecting it to arrive today (Friday). Insert into the empty slots (dimm A1 & B1), the Bios and Win10 should automatically recognise the upgrade? That is what the suppliers said, after explaining my MB & CPU to them. I will make another post later to let you know what I find out in improved performance.

Associate
The PC should pick it up automatically. Be aware that you might not be able to run it at full XMP speed as you now have four sticks.

As long as the sticks are the same there shouldn't be any issue. I have 4 x 8Gb modules and can easily get the max XMP running, I beleive the issue lies when mixing types / speeds

Associate
OP
Yes, they are exactly the same type of Corsair sticks that was in Dimms A2 & B2. They are now installed and Win10 shows 32GB. Is there a way to check the max XMP speed of 3200MHz?

Associate
Check using a program like cpu-z. Remember that as it is double data ram the speed will show up as half e.g. 1600 for 3200hz.

Be aware that you might not be able to run it at full XMP speed as you now have four sticks.

I have just done the same upgrade as op and appear to be getting stability issues using 4 dimms. Does this happen on both intel and amd systems?

Last edited:
Associate
Try dialling it back to 3200 or 3400 MHz.
Thanks for response. I was just running it at 3200 xmp so no manual oc. First two sticks have run like this without issue for years.

Think I will just return the ram and get a 32gb two stick kit with slightly better clocks and timings

Associate
I was same situation, I couldn't run full rated speed 3200mhz ,I just returned and got refund, now I'm running 2x8 , there will be beneficial for gaming

Associate
I initially had a problem with a second pair of supposedly same memory as in any 2 or even 3 sticks would work in any slots, but 4 wouldn't boot.

I'm no expert in bios but it was a simple case of ticking a speed I wanted rather than let it do auto. All stable now.

I can't say I see any gain going from 16GB to 32GB but I have seen a few reviews of the new flight sim so can see where you may benefit.

edit : this is on AMD.

Back
Top Bottom