16 to 34 year olds in the UK watch 46 minutes of YouTube per day.

Soldato
Youtube is far better than Live TV. Currently at 10 hours for the week but I've been quite busy. Can easily hit 20 hours.

You find the right channels its way more entertaining. Especially given that a lot of content is shorter.

Netflix I use for any TV shows.

Pretty much watch nothing else unless its a sport I follow.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I'm 35 and watch a lot of YouTube, a lot of it car related some of it more informative such as guitar and web development stuff. I don't particularly watch any other TV however and YouTube can be more condensed therefore less of a time drain but makes me feel like I've relaxed and maybe learnt something new.

Soldato
All these accurate usage stats people are quoting ... I just discovered the bit of YT where it tells you!

I'm at 5 hrs for the last week. Though I reckon I've watched another couple of hours on pc not logged in to my account.

I used to mostly watch gaming content (miss you Totalbiscuit :( ), but it's mostly wrestling stuff now.

Soldato
I stream 4 to 6 hours of music/lyric videos from YouTube during the weekdays when I'm working and not in meetings. I don't stream YouTube during the weekend.

Associate
I don't pay for anything like Sky/Netflix (and don't want to), so all I have is Freeview HD for standard TV channels. The choice of things I'd like to watch on Freeview is small and combined with the fact that every time I turn the TV it feels like there are five minutes of adverts on any given channel and that quickly sees me quickly switch to YouTube.

The main things I watch on YouTube are car related videos, with some gaming and music stuff. Today there have been 15 videos released by people I'm subscribed to just to do with cars, I don't necessarily watch all of them, but the option is there. The only time I really commit to watching TV is in the morning when I put the news on while having breakfast. YouTube viewing vastly outweighs standard TV for me.

Soldato
Only stuff on Youtube I watch now tends to be comedy/satire unless I need to know how to fix something.

Edit: sometimes stuff like Steve Mould and so on.

Last edited:
I'm over-aged (42), but I agree with the OP's statement that TV is becoming irrelevant.

I left home in 1998 for university without a TV and I just got used to not having one. After uni, I carried on without a TV. YouTube came along in the mid-2000s and I just watched that, alongside a DVD and blu-ray collection for my PC. The YT channels I watch are mainly science experiments, people doing online gambling and fan-made Disney clips. I easily watch YT an hour per day. I've never used Netflix and other TV streaming until only this year. I'm on Disney+.

Soldato
Car, PC tech and video game stuff is my most watched. Easily an hour per day. During this lockdown I’ve hardly watched broadcast tv except for sports (F1, BTCC and pool).

Soldato
I'm not quite in that age group sadly, but there's loads of really good content on youtube if you care to look - Veritasium, Kurzgesagt, Vsauce are great science/knowledge channels and I also follow a few makers in various fields such as woodwork, CNC, 3D printing, general ******* (can't beat AvE or This Old Tony for some occasionally educational *************).

*** Swearing should be starred out ***

There are also countless excellent tutorials for various bits of software (for me Fusion 360 and Blender mostly).

It's not all game streamers and influencers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
I watch at least the upper end of that every day. Some days it will be several hours of videos.

Game playthroughs, short films, comedy skits, car related videos ranging from build series' to random home brew phone footage, vlogs, all sorts. Even 8 year old charity christmas livestream archives.... :p

Soldato
I easily do an hour a day, probably closer to 2. Probably about an hour after work and similar before bed.

Motorbike/mtb/car/van-build videos, project builds, cnc builds, engineering vids and tutorials galore!

I used to watch tv to fill in time but with YouTube I’m more often than not being entertained and learning something at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom