1600x overclocking anomalies

Associate
Greetings!
I own a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 motherboard on which I finally tried to do a little bit of oc.
As a first time overclocker I've found this one to be a little confusing and would like to ask for some help from the more enlightened. The only way to adjust the vcore from the bios is with a vcore offset, you cannot input a specific voltage.
I use the board with a Ryzen 1600x. I aimed at a mild overclock up to 3.8-3.9 ghz, but figuring out the way the voltage adjustment on this board works hasn't gone very well.
By disabling xfr I've found the base vcore on the cpu to be between 1.1-1.14 volts. Then I intended to use the voltage offset to raise it up to be stabile in the specified frequency range. I encountered the first problem here - at any value above +0,108v the cores would decrease their frequencies to 2.2 ghz, no matter what the settings are (this seems to be a common problem with this processor independent from the motherboard). So I tried to find the overclock I can get with this maximum.
This is where my real problem arose. So with the vcore voltage settings working as an offset, I have options to set it to auto, normal, and then a value between -0.3 and +0.3 volts. I used the bios, HWMonitor, CPU-Z, and the Ryzen Master app to monitor values. No matter what I've set the offset to between -0.024 and +0.108 volts, I got crazy high voltages on the vcore. At +0.036 for example, the moterboard's reading was as high as 1.41v, and the processor's was 1.36v.
At -0.024 volts, the motherboard's max reading was 1.39v, and the cpu had 1.4v.
These just don't really add up to me, I thought the offset would add to or subtract from the base 1.1-1.14 volts vcore and could be easily calculated, but that doesn't really seem to be the case here.
Before changing the frequency settings, at the stock 3.6 ghz, the calculation could be done more or less accurately, giving the values I anticipated. However, when i changed it to 3.7 ghz, I started getting these crazy readings.
I've did a lot of reading on this but useful ideas were sporadic. Can someone confirm if my next two assumptions are right or wrong?
1: The "true" vcore offset amount depends on the frequency settings I input. In this case, how can I determine the right amount of offset for my overclock?
2: Maybe I misunderstand how the offset works. After the "auto" setting, there's "normal", which leaves the voltage at the stock value. Right after that I get -0.3 volts, from where i can increase up to +0.3. Does raising it up to +0.0volts basicly put a +0.3 volts increase offset on the vcore?
Also, I can very easily get a stable overclock from Ryzen Master at 3.85 ghz with a vcore of 1.33 volts, but I'd really like to be able to do this from the bios.
Sorry about the long post, I'm trying to add as much useful information as possible.
Some screens:
i.imgur.com/puVpHii - +0.084 volts @3.7 ghz
i.imgur.com/Anuic19 - -0.024 volts @3.7 ghz
Thanks a lot for any replies in advance!

Back
Top Bottom