17 120hz versus 15 4k laptop?

Associate
I am currently banging my head against a wall trying to make a good decision on a laptop purchase. The trouble is that I could do with a pretty decent screen for image editing, but to put things into context, my last laptop was a Toshiba Satellite with a 740m and a pitiful screen. In that sense, I don't know to what would constitute a reasonable enough improvement- all I know is that when I had edited an image on my laptop, that it was so radically different to the one produced by my phone that it was unusable, and I would have to ping pong between the two in order to get the correct... Corrections.

My second requirement is that it can do pretty well with games. I am by no means a hardcore gamer, but there are a few titles that I know are resource heavy. Originally I intended to go for a 17" screen because I thought I might appreciate the extra room (and I move too much for an external monitor), although I don't know how easy that is going to be to move around over time. Saying that, I'm not exactly massively concerned about that.

So far I am fairly certain that I will either go for the HP Omen 17" with 7700, gtx 1060, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd and 1tb hard drive. Alternatively I intended to go for the 4k version of the Dell inspiron 7577, with identical specs except for a 512gb ssd. I know that I won't be playing games at 4k which doesn't massively concern me, but it would be nice to do day-to-day tasks and image editing with a nice screen.

I've come to both of these choices on the basis of the 17" 120hz screen in the case of the Omen (although it doesn't appear to be amazingly colour accurate or bright) with the suspicion that the laptop's overall size will aid heat control to some extent, and the often reported very good heat control and good screen of the Inspiron (not the base models, the 4k model!). However, I wonder if any of you might have any insights on either of these laptops and what you might go for and why?

Thanks for your time!

Associate
My personal feeling on this is that 1920x1080 is a better resolution on the majority of laptops if gaming due to the graphics hp required (therefore noise, money and heat) to run decent fps at the higher resolutions. 2560x1440 would be just about my acceptable optimum for any 1070 or better equipped machine and anything higher will result in either a trade off in graphics quality or an unreasonable increase in the amount of £'s required to get the specifications required to push decent fps at native 4k high res.
Ultimately, I feel that 1060gtx gets you 1920x1080, 1070gtx is ok for 2560x1440 and 4k requires sli 1070s or 1080 cards with high graphics settings.

Associate
OP
Yes it was not my intention to play the games at 4K, although the quality of the screen is better in terms of colour reproduction and brightness. I would use it at native 4K for editing/browsing etc, then fhd for gaming.

I just wonder if anyone has used either of them or if perhaps I've missed something in terms of choices. Both seem fairly solid, but I don't know.

Caporegime
These two were on my final list before I just got bashed about the head too many times with people telling me to buy a desktop.

The 4K screen on the Dell is much better from the reviews I've seen. As you say, you can always run games at 1080p and they should look just fine. It would probably play older games like Borderlands at 4K anyway. :p The Dell has also the better GPU set up. They're both 1060 Max Q but the Dell has excellent cooling which doesn't see the GPU get throttled. I was leaning more towards the Dell as that 512GB SSD is worth a few bob and I would probably have plugged the laptop into my TV making the 120Hz Gsync screen on the HP mostly redundant.

But whatever you do, don't pay the prices they're advertised at. Talk to a customer service rep and/or wait for a discount. Last week Dell gave me 14% off the price.

Associate
OP
Bloomin eck, that's a pretty excellent discount!
The trouble is that I have no external monitor and can't really afford to have more stuff (I move around a lot!). I mean, how much of a difference would it really make though? I'm so used to having a laptop where 40 fps was the best I could hope for at fairly nuked settings that 60 frames seems perfectly adequate :)
Does it really have much effect for instance in first person shooters online etc?

Back
Top Bottom