19" TFT Buying Help Please!

Associate
I am thinking of buying one of the following:

Viewsonic VP930 (8ms P-MVA Panel) £375.94
Xerox XA7-192i (8ms P-MVA Panel) £288.99
Viewsonic VX922 (2ms TN Panel) £340.69
Hyundai Imagequest Q90U (3ms TN Panel) £340.69

Mostly for playing games but I also watch movies as well, although I only watch them on the PC alone so the viewing angle wont be a problem.

I'm a bit confused about the TN/MVA screen issue, from what i've read the TN are pretty rubbish at playing movies but great for games. So I think I should be looking at the MVA's instead but they have a slower response time than the TN's currently available.

Please Help!

Man of Honour
Hi mate. Firstly, the Xerox was suppsoed to use a P-MVA panel, but UK stock doesn't, it's an 8ms TN Film panel from CMO instead.

TN Film panels do offer the most responsiv performance in the market for gaming especially from the latest heavily overdriven models like the VX922 and Q90U. These are about as fast as you're going to get for gaming. However, the drawbacks of TN Film technology are that viewing angles are very restrictive, especially in the vertical field, and movie playback can be hampered by a lot of noise. This is especially true because of the heavy overdrive on these models. On the other hand, the models like the VP930 offer much wider viewing angles, a deeper black depth and smoother movie playback. They also use overdrive technology and so are suitable for gaming unlike older MVA and PVA panels. I would not be put off by the slight decrease in responsiveness on the VP930, it is still perfectly fine for gaming and a very good screen. It is certainly one of the best all round models in the whole market today, and if you've got the money, this would be much better for all round use :)

Back
Top Bottom