1920 x 1080 too small now for PC?

Associate
For over a year now I have been wondering when will monitor manufactures start producing resonably priced monitors with resolutions higher than 1080p.
PC graphics cards can run 1080p standing on their heads with one arm tied behind their back. Once again it is the consoles that are to blame, that and HD TV, 1080p is a stagnant standard.
I want a monitor that runs 2560 x 1440 but dosent cost £700+, surely the technology is there to produce a monitor capable of running this res with a price of £400.
What do you guys think?
sculptor:)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the heads-up, they certainly look nice monitors, shame about the lack of height adjustment, but the specs are good and if the price is £400 Ill certainly go for one, suppose Id better get in the queue.
sculptor:)

Associate
The monitors have a lack of adjustment however Hazro are supposedly planning on selling an external stand which can be used which will have height, tilt and rotate movement. Alternatively you could pick up a suitable mount from another manufacturer.

Soldato
Some people seem obsessed with resolution, for me its a combination of resolution/FPS/eye candy

I want to run everything maxed on a relatively low budget so I use 1680 and see no reason to go for 1080P unless its 120HZ

Associate
Its not just for gaming though - a higher resolution is extremely useful on the desktop for viewing more of documents, web pages, albums, files/folders, visual studio instances and be able to see multiple web pages/programs at eather side of the screen without them being too thin.

Soldato
Some people seem obsessed with resolution, for me its a combination of resolution/FPS/eye candy

I want to run everything maxed on a relatively low budget so I use 1680 and see no reason to go for 1080P unless its 120HZ

Agreed, for gaming the difference may not be massive (and the GPU power needed is huge)- but for running applications and multi tasking the extra resolution is wonderful as you can fit so much more on-screen at one time.

Personally I can't wait to get the hazro for £400 - I will be going from 2.3M pixels on my primary monitor to 3.68M pixels (60% increase in number of pixels).

Soldato
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I want!

Much higher price than I wanted to pay but.....

Yea, me too - but I suppose you do get a lot for your money:

- 27in size (16:9)
- High quality H-IPS panel
- 2560x1440 resolution
- Glass front - just like the Apple displays and iMac
- Very low input lag

That said, it only has one DVI input and doesn't have a built in scaler (to keep the costs down) so it's great if you only need to hook it up to one PC, but if you want to attach it to a console as well then it isn't a good monitor to go for.

Last edited:
Associate
I originally wasn't even going to contemplate spending £400 on a monitor, but (if it remains at £400) the value is amazing.

For me the big thing about extra res is how much easier it is to use photo editing tools, I have a 1680x1050 monitor right now which was better than it's predecessor (1024x7??), so a 2560x1440 should be stunning.

Caporegime
HZ27WC - review here.

Supposedly it will be available on OCUK shortly and the expected initial price is ~£400 (inc. VAT).
Looks like a nice monitor, im currently on a pretty old va panel benq fp241w, cant fault it though as it's been excellent. Just fancy something a little bigger. This current screen cost me £430.00 over 4 years ago, £400.00 ono for a 27" would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom