1920x1080 on 2560x1440 monitor?

Soldato
Just want to know one thing.
Have a 27inch 2560x1440 atm (till I decided to box it up for return), after having it, I cant go back to monitor below 27inch, its just so nice the size. I have ordered a BenQ GW2750HM to replace it. I put the 1440p monitor down to 1080p resolution and the text is well blurry/smeared compared to my 1080p 24inch next to it lots of jagged edges and an out of focus image. It's more than I would expect from the whole up-scaling from 1080p 24inch to 27inch.

My question is, is this what a 27inch with a native res of 1080p will look like in terms of text crispness/image blurryness etc? or does scaling down a higher res to a lower res some how effect the crispness of text/image due to...whatever?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
yes and no. what you were experiencing was "interpolation", where one pixel becomes scaled across many pixels of an uneven amount. i.e. not a perfect 2:1 relationship.

however, text won't be so sharp with 1920x1080 on a 27" anyway, in fact you will probably be able to see the pixels at that DPI. The best screen size at the moment for 1920x1080 is 21.5" because the DPI is over 100.

Soldato
yes and no. what you were experiencing was "interpolation", where one pixel becomes scaled across many pixels of an uneven amount. i.e. not a perfect 2:1 relationship.

however, text won't be so sharp with 1920x1080 on a 27" anyway, in fact you will probably be able to see the pixels at that DPI. The best screen size at the moment for 1920x1080 is 21.5" because the DPI is over 100.

True on the interpolation aspect, but not true on the visible pixels. If you are sitting a sensible distance from a 27" 1920 x 1080 monitor you wouldn't see the pixels. To see them clearly and noticeably you'd have to be about 30cm or so from the screen which is too close really.

This isn't aimed at you but just a general point. You do get an awful lot of confusing misinformation spread about 27" 1920 x 1080 monitors. People using misleading terminology such as 'stretched' and 'pixelated' - often from people who haven't actually seen such a screen and are trying to justify their 2560 x 1440 27 incher. There is a significant difference in the pixel pitch on a 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440 model and the latter can potentially give a much sharper image. But that doesn't mean 1920 x 1080 on a 27" monitor is something to be allergic to, especially when everything looks only marginally larger than on the much-loved 24" 1920 x 1080 screen.

Soldato
You also have to remember that most HD content is produced for 1080p displays. If you play a movie on a 2560 x 1440 display then the image will be scaled upwards to fit the higher resolution which could cause some blurriness because the scaling is not exactly a 1:1 ratio. This would not apply to 3D games however.

A 27" monitor at 1080P will be perfectly fine at a distance greater than 30cm. I can't see any pixels on my old 22" 1680 x 1050 monitor even at 30cm and that has a similar PPI to a 27" 1080P monitor. In fact I have to set the text dpi to 125% in windows display properties because I sit about 60cm away from the screen.

Soldato
OP
So what I'm seeing is being exaggerated due to the pixels on the screen (too many for 1080p? It won't be this bad on a native 1080p @ 27inch? I'm expecting some well you know scaling, but this just seems like too much.
I'm sitting about 60m away from the screen and it still looks blurred/out of focus compared to the same distance at my 24inch.
Like looking at this forum on my 24inch the forum is crisp and clear to read, straight lines and clear text.
On my 27inch (native 1440p), the forum is slighty out of focus/text is blurry, like you have stayed up all night and your eye sight is starting to blur. Its readable, but it looks odd.

Last edited:
Soldato
Try setting the 24" monitor to a lower res (non-native) and you will see the difference. The reason you are probably seeing blurry text/out of focus on native 1440p is because you might be sitting a bit too far away or your eyesight has become weaker like mine. If you don't wear glasses then I would recommend getting an eye test.

A 1080P 27" at native resolution should be spot on for the distance you are sitting and should be sharp.

I'm trying to find out the details for the LG E27EA33V which is available at some online retailers and appears to be a similar panel as the LG IPS277L-BN. The IPS277 looks good but I don't want the non-vesa thin bezel screen. I'm waiting to see what LG release in the next week at CES 2013 before buying one though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lol I do wear glasses :p I'm only 21 my eye sight is fine (for a person with glasses...)
And I never thought about testing it on my 24inch, I just put it down to the next res that has the right scale (1440x900) and its pretty much the same blurriness as the text on the 27inch.

Anyway got the BenQ monitor coming eventually, so hopefully its not a blurred mess ;p

Soldato
Once you get the BenQ please report back with a small review. I'm interested to know what the text quality is like too.

Soldato
OP
To be fair the 32inch we have downstairs is 1080p and its text is...not as clear as the 24inch but its much better than the text right now on the 27inch.
Its a TV/Monitor though ;p
Anyway sure fs, it will be here on monday so I'll give a quick update after I've calibrated it.
As long as the whites are well...white and not an off white with a dash of yellow/grey and the colors are decent enough then It will be mostly be a keeper in anycase. Blacks will be fine, its a VA panel for goodness sake....
MS won't be a factor because its faster than this Dell IPS (apparently) and I can't even notice any MS problems <.<

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just received the BenQ monitor.
Its quite nice if I do say so myself, there are some flaws ofc, the color shifts was noticeable but won't present issues unless you are looking at one color on the screen. Like on this forum, the left and right has a slightly difference shade of purple/blue than the middle etc, its not in your face though so its something that I can put up with.

Out of the box impressions where quite good I feel, I like a bright monitor, which is what you get out of the box. I tweaked some settings on the monitor its self using the buttons on the side which are simple to use once you get your fingers in the right place. I ended up with:

Mode: Standard
Brightness: 86
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 1
Gamma: 1
AMA: High
Red - 100, Green - 97, Blue - 98

This gives me rather accurate colors at least to me, I might tinker alittle latter on but for now it seems about right. The blacks are deep which is what I was expecting from a VA panel (they are excellent infact, very impressed darker than I'm used too lol) but the whites are tinted slightly with a yellow hue, much like the Dell before, I don't know if this is just me but its not a proper white, its less than the Dell mind you and its close enough to not bother me, still would have preferred a clearer white like on my 24inch, that is a proper white.

I did notice the blue glow in the bottom left and right color which VA panels are famous for while sitting in front the monitor straight on when I first powered on the monitor and put up a dark movie. After changing the settings though to the above, I managed to minimize this glow to pretty much gone even at different viewing angles (the brightness setting seems to control the glow, so a low enough settings gets rid of it).

Text is very clear, I wasn't expecting this from a 27inch monitor, its as crisp as my 24inch sitting next to it. With AMA on premium, I noticed a very distinct black trail behind my mouse on a white background, something I wasn't expecting. I put AMA down to High and now the trail is still there but its less noticeable and is just a transparent version of whatever is moving. Fired up BF3 to test if I could notice it and I couldn't during normal game-play, could only notice it when I specifically went looking for it. All in all decent enough.

I will be keeping the monitor, its a solid all rounder and it would score in the region of 8/10 for me as everything is spot on apart from white levels and the color shifts.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh my god what a difference from my settings. I calibrated the hardware and then downloaded the user profile from TFT Central which gave me the following. TFT Central Review.

Brightness

Contrast

Gamma

Picture Mode
Standard

Color Temperature
User Mode

RGB
100, 100, 95

Ama= Premium

My brightness at 14 to your 86. :eek: Nowt so queer as folk eh. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
xD

14 brightness is WAY too low for me, whites very dull then then :p can't put up with that :)
I need to be blinded ^^
Are your "whites" tinted with yellow too btw?
I'm not even using one of them ICC profiles, the normal makes everything duller to me.
Only thing holding me back from making it brighter is the blue glow since any higher and I can see it.

EDIT: after some fiddling got a setting I'm happy with, this gives the whites more...umph, still not what I want it to be, but its as close as I can get it without the monitor getting a blue tint to it.

Mode: Standard
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 60
Sharpness: 1
Gamma: 1
AMA: High
Red - 90, Green - 97, Blue - 98
Using the Benq gw2450hm ICC file of all things, it lessens the hue even more, its pretty darn close to what I would consider white, not quite there but much better than I originally had, might be able to get it perfect (for me) with alittle more tweaking, some colors are a little off and it could do with more vibrancy in places, but for the price, awesome 27inch monitor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom