• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1gb ddr4 cards?

Soldato
Looks like I got my arse handed to me by the minority parade :p
If you are walking past "humouRus" stop by, wont you.

How it doesnt stutter on your machines it quite confusing, as Ive had fear running on both 1gb and 2gb, and while it doesnt stutter every second, which I assume you guys must have thought I meant... it does have frequent load points. Look on various FEAR threads and see what the most mentioned piece of advice is for FEAR.
I dont have my system particularly loaded with crap, and FEAR was the first game to push some of my apps onto virtual ram... think my peak usage was around 1.1gb. So yeah, when people say stuttering, then dont mean every second, but just find a friend with 2GB and play it on his machine. Then you will understand what people mean when they say for smooth game play you need 2gb.

Also, if you could in future try your best to tell the difference between someone having a laff and someone who is passionate about a topic, that would be grand :}

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine doesnt stutter - I dont know what you want me todo lie? Not every system is the same.
And i'm not saying 2gb isnt required, i'd prefer 2gb because oblivion stutters when it has the loading sign on the bottom and BF2 stutters when I use high texture setting.

Associate
I'm still happily plodding along on an overclocked 9800pro 128Meg, hasn't failed me yet, granted I'm kind of stuck for an upgrade path running an XP3200 on the dead Socket A but I've yet to find a game I cant play happily enough.
I'll never pay for a top of the range card again, its getting silly nowadays, quad sli. ppus etc, its all a massive waste of money. Games will always be playable on mid range hardware, if they're not they won't be economically viable.

Soldato
omne said:
I'm still happily plodding along on an overclocked 9800pro 128Meg, hasn't failed me yet, granted I'm kind of stuck for an upgrade path running an XP3200 on the dead Socket A but I've yet to find a game I cant play happily enough.
I'll never pay for a top of the range card again, its getting silly nowadays, quad sli. ppus etc, its all a massive waste of money. Games will always be playable on mid range hardware, if they're not they won't be economically viable.

£200 is my personal limit and for £200 you tend to get cards you can voltmod or whatever into cards that perform as good as the top cards, obviously the arguement is you could overclock the top cards past anything the £200 cards can manage, the top i've spent on a card is this 1800xt @ £160

Soldato
Normally the life of any componant in a pc - unless you have loads of money and just HAVE to have the latest card etc - should be twelve months and maybe 18, after that you go down a level in performance terms

This is generally speaking on average in my opinion

Therefore over the space of the next 12-18 months (if you are buying now) I would suggest there is no point at all getting a 256mb card. 512 mb ones arent really that more expensive ( 20 or £30 usually at most)

I personally can tell the difference between a 256mb card and 512mb card even on a 20" screen, games just perform more fluidly, and I would say even in the next 6 months 512 is going to be the preferred option ( and you never know with the high end cards of the next generation there may not be any 256 mb varients even fabricated)

When you get down to the middle range in performance terms is where 256 is going to be king

Just my opinion though

Permabanned
i remember the days when there would be room on the card to upgrade the mem, used to do it all the time just wish card makers would add 2 extra mem bays so we could buy and clip on the extra mem.

Soldato
Great article exsomnis, shows how every game there is like no difference, even F.E.A.R where people claim because I have a 256mb memory card it runs bad which I assured them it didnt, system memory matters not a difference between 256/512, altho i would prefer 512 even though its not used.

Back
Top Bottom