2.1 or 5.1 for PC in bedroom (£100 budget)

Associate
Hi guys, my z506 died on me not long ago so need a replacement or something different. I really liked having a centre channel for voices hence the desire for 5.1 speakers. I'd go 3.1 if I could but space/budget won't allow it.

My desk is pretty small too so small satellites are desirable, anything taller than 18cm/7' is a no go really. The size of most logitech speakers is pretty bang on, but I'm curious about how noticeable no centre channel for movies really is. I could just get another set of z506 for £58 or grab something like the z333 for £39 (if no centre channel is needed) or if anything else exists within my budget I'd happily go for that too.

Associate
I'd go with a soundbar because even at £100 thats a push for anything decent. Might as well cut it down and get something that acts as psudeo surround.

Associate
OP
if I went the wharfedale route, which t-amp? surely that is out of my budget

I do have a soundbar in my room already (Samsung HW J355) but that is paired up with my flatscreen on the wall

Soldato
I've got a set of Z506 and they're awesome for their size and price. I also have a 'proper' 5.1 setup in another room where the sub alone cost £300.

Just get another set of Z506. Virtual surround is just not as good as the real thing.

Associate
OP
I've got a set of Z506 and they're awesome for their size and price. I also have a 'proper' 5.1 setup in another room where the sub alone cost £300.

Just get another set of Z506. Virtual surround is just not as good as the real thing.

Annoyed that I missed when they were £40 odd a few weeks back. Honestly, the rear speakers hardly got proper use, they were under my desk. If I need to go super loud, I just use the soundbar. 120w is overkill for my room so it does the job. If I could grab some 2.1 logis and just chuck in a centre speaker I'd be set.

These proper speakers do look appealing though, but wondering if it's overkill for my usage. Decisions decisions

maj

maj

Soldato
if I went the wharfedale route, which t-amp? surely that is out of my budget

I do have a soundbar in my room already (Samsung HW J355) but that is paired up with my flatscreen on the wall

I got a SMSL SA-36A for my dad to power his Wharfdale's and it powers them fine. Around £40 so speakers and amp will come under budget.

I'd echo the suggestion about getting a good stereo set rather than entry level 5.1 but it's your choice.

Associate
OP
I have nothing to lose really, if for whatever reason I don't enjoy the experience I can simply send them back. I'll try the wharfedales with the amp you suggested

Soldato
Given the space restrictions, Wharfedale 9.0's or similar stereo speakers are going to be a no go then as they are about 24cm in height. For stereo, the speakers would likely have to be smaller 3" woofer speakers.

Associate
OP
Given the space restrictions, Wharfedale 9.0's or similar stereo speakers are going to be a no go then as they are about 24cm in height. For stereo, the speakers would likely have to be smaller 3" woofer speakers.
I've raised my monitor a bit so something taller should be fine. I've ordered the 9.0s and the smsl sa 50

My friend also has Edifier 1700bt's which he's happy to sell to me for £70 if I like the sound of them so will be giving those a listen when I see him in a few days

Associate
OP
Roth va4 active speakers . Refurbs available for £100 on the bay

These look good, just worried about them being refurbs and have seen a lot of people mention bluetooth issues? How do they compare to what's been suggested so far? Assuming they are better most given their brand new price.

Soldato

Virtual surround sucks, period. Whether it's coming out of a soundbar or headphones or stereo speakers etc it doesn't matter. I'd rather have good 2.0 setup than a low quality fake 5.0.

I've heard a lot of people say good things about the Z506, it's a pitty that it's not wireless though. That being said, the Z506 is about the only Logitech speakers I haven't owned or tried out - I've tried everything else they make even their headphones and now I dislike Logitech (except their Mice, their Mice are still good) and tbh I think their speakers are total junk.

But you can't beat their value though, for the price there just isn't much else on the market and they do tend to be bass heavy which makes them ok for games - my first Logitech were the z313, I paid $10 for them in a sale, I mean what else can you get for $10, nothing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom