2.1 setup

Associate
I am thinking of moving to a 2.1 setup on my pc. I am after quality, volume if i need it.
What are my options? I was thinking of getting 2 speakers and a separate subwoofer. Will I need an amp for that?

Soldato
Typically you want a stereo amplifier, or a AV amplifier (since those have HDMI inputs) passive speakers, and a active subwoofer.

Depending on budget. Starting off with bookshelf speakers like Wharfedale Diamond 9.0's, or bigger. Subwoofer like BK Electronics Gemeni. With a Yamaha 400 series AVR, or a stereo integrated amplifier.

Soldato
If you don't want to worry about second hand, there are some decent options, but you will need to spend a little more and the sub will have to come later.

Something like the TANGENT AMPSTER BT. It is small in size but has 50w RMS and a sub out, also includes bluetooth and optical in. It is £150 by itself though but well reviewed. You can pick up some Wharfedale Diamond 9.0's for £40 at the moment, both from RS but that comes in at £190.

You would also probably find with the above you have no need for a sub, for a desktop setup it will be pretty meaty.

Soldato
Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s plus SMSL AD18 (80W) for a total of £160 ish

You could even save a little and get the SMSL AD13 (50W) which should come to a total of just over £130

Soldato
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I didn't wanna start another one. Thinking about the above set up (AD18+9.0s). Small, possibly stupid question, if I wanted to add a subwoofer later on would I be able to?

Back
Top Bottom