2.1 speakers to buy

Soldato
Robbie G said:
Pfff, amps just take a signal and increase the amplitude. Good amp / bad amp - they all sound the same! :p

You've obviously not heard a good one then.

A sonic T amp coupled with some second hand KEF or mission speakers will rock your world in comparison to the Aego Ms and Logitech speakers.

Soldato
Yes, the Sonic-T and some good second hand speakers would be a great choice. Good sound and the T is very compact (does need the external power supply though).

Voltage amplifiers just increase the amplitude of a signal, but we are talking about power amplifiers which have to deliver the power to a speaker; a much more difficult task and one that can produce highly varied results depending on design.

Associate
normski_ said:
So what's wrong with the Bose?

Nothing!

It’s funny how many people seem to knock Bose!, I know they are expensive (know one makes you buy them). I would love to be on the ‘Directors Board with share options’. At the end of the day people do knock them, but they sell & sell!!

Personally I’m please with my new Bose companion 5 speakers and the new in-ear phones for my nano.

IMG_1274.jpg

The sound is excellent, I'm sure some of the other company speaker systems mentioned above are great too. The people who knock the Bose speakers probably have never even heard them! :rolleyes:

And if they are still knocking them after hearing them. They must have a sad grudge!!! :confused: Just my thoughts! :D

Soldato
I've heard a live demonstration of Bose. They arn't terrible, but are definately overpriced. They are more or less "well designed" computer speakers, but thier lifestyle systems are £4000 or so depending on model :eek: . When I think what I could get for that cash on the bay it's shocking. I guess there is a market for very small speaker setups which are better than the usual £70 ones from high street shops.

They have designed quite clever speakers in thier past and the ones I sometimes see in shops/restuarants are about the best you tend to get there. I think our cinema uses them (but our cinema sounds pretty dire, sorry :( ). Also, the environmental speakers in theme parks tend to be made by them :D

Last edited:
Suspended
There's a reason why Bose sell, and not because of sound quality. It's just advertising and the brand name. Ask anyone in the street what is the best audio company, and they'll say Bose. They've never heard them, but seen them in lots of magazines, so must be great.

From my demos, they sound terrible. I have a Rotel 980 and B&W 601's, cost around £400, and compared them to Lifestyle range including their flagship range. The Bose sound is a joke. Bass is big whoompy distorted mess, and the soundstage is a horrid bipole effect for all channels (I like bipoles/dipoles but only for sides/surrounds) For front/centre it just ruins it. Basically like a cheap PC sat-sub system, no midrange, lacking in treble, whoompy/boomy bass and limited frequency response overall.

For there top of the range Lifestyle system £4000, I would pay £400. When I told the shop owner it sounds awful, he asked me what I have (Audiolab reference kit) and he says my gear is ****

Last edited:
Soldato
Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speakers (Black) - Retail £82.24 inc VAT

Really good quality speakers at a decent affordable price, anything better you maybe best off looking at some dedicated bookshelf speakers like Wharfdale etc.

I Love my Aego's! when I upgrade my Hi-Fi system I will probally have it all linked to my PC, thus the Aegos will be used in another part of my house, I wonder if they are adaptable for use with say an Ipod?

Suspended
tom_nieto said:
Well, if you're looking in the region of £200 you can't go wrong with an amp and hi-fi speakers.

what he said. my cambridge A1 and Mission M71s blow my my old megaworks 550 out the water

edit - as seen here

IMG_2211Small.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
geeza said:
what he said. my cambridge A1 and Mission M71s blow my my old megaworks 550 out the water

edit - as seen here

IMG_2211Small.jpg
Nice - but move your desk to the left and get some speaker stands and you'll be golden :)

I'm also suffering from 'too high speakers' at the moment - will be sorted soon though :)

Suspended
Codmate said:
Nice - but move your desk to the left and get some speaker stands and you'll be golden :)

I'm also suffering from 'too high speakers' at the moment - will be sorted soon though :)

yeh i tried this, ive got some stands but then i have to move the mirror accross and then i cant spin the green things on the floor you can see (poi) how far do the speakers need to be apart. ive got used to music being 'above' me now aswell :)

Soldato
Spent a lot of time the other day looking at forums and sites for a 2.1 setup... finally decided to go and listen to a selection before I buyed.

I had my eyes open for the creative L3800s (didnt get a chance to hear them) but having listened to the competition harmon kar / bose / logitech I can say confidently that they all sounded cr*p to me. Absolutely no midrange or warmth.

I haven't heard ' ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGO M ' but looking at the reviews they seem good.

Disgruntled I returned home plugged my ear buds in, sat down and sacked the idea of buying PC specific speakers. I might just do an amp speaker setup.

Last edited:
Suspended
Subliminal Aura said:
Spent a lot of time the other day looking at forums and sites for a 2.1 setup... finally decided to go and listen to a selection before I buyed.

I had my eyes open for the creative L3800s (didnt get a chance to hear them) but having listened to the competition harmon kar / bose / logitech I can say confidently that they all sounded cr*p to me. Absolutely no midrange or warmth.

I haven't heard ' ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGO M ' but looking at the reviews they seem good.

Disgruntled I returned home plugged my ear buds in, sat down and sacked the idea of buying PC specify speakers. I might just do an amp speaker setup.

good choice. all pc speakers are poo. (compaired to amp speaker combos)

Soldato
Dr.EM said:
That will sound best yeah, but will cost more. How much are you looking to spend on such a setup?

I've got amps subs already etc already would just need some research done on some quality cube like satellites needed to complete the system.

Since this has now become an audiophile project budget would increase from 100-500 ? Maybe I could use these cubes in the living room too ?

Associate
Subliminal Aura said:

Disgruntled I returned home plugged my ear buds in, sat down and sacked the idea of buying PC specific speakers. I might just do an amp speaker setup.

If you only need one input then the Sonic Super T-Amp is a good choice IMO. If you need more then something like a NAD or the Cambridge above would be good.

Another option is powered monitors. I've got the WharfeDale Diamond 8.2's sitting on my desk. They're good (bi-amped with active crossovers is ace for the money!) and breaking in nicely.
I kind of wished I'd gone for the smaller 8.1's now though, as I didn't reckon on how large and meaty the 8.2s were - they could do with a bigger room. Ah well - I used the 6db bass roll-off switch and they'll be OK.

The active Diamond 8.1s are £169.95.
The M-Audio 2.1 active LX4 3.0 nearfield system is pretty cheap at £135.00.
If you don't need 2.1, and just want stereo, the M-Audio DX4s are meant to be OK at around £100.

Don't worry that active monitors are often marketed for home recording and 'studio use'. In this price range, this is often just a different way of selling the same speakers as you would buy in a hi-fi store, but with an amplifier (or amplifiers) specifically designed for those speakers inside the cabinet.

The Wharfedales I have are also available as passive hi-fi speakers for instance.

Back
Top Bottom