1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5 External HDD 320GB

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by claytow, 14 Sep 2009.

1. claytow

Gangster

HI,

Apart from the My Passport 2.5" drives, does anyone know of any other manufacturer that makes a drive of 320GB or above that only requires 1x USB port to power it and not 2?

Any help appreciated, thanks

2. AbsenceJam

Mobster

I used a 320GB Buffalo Mini Station Lite that only needed the one port.

3. leexgx

Gangster

only need 2 ports if the one port in your system does not provide the proper 500ma of power (most system flow the spec or alow up to 600ma peak)

4. 5abr3

Gangster

Using an empty Caddy with one USB port and putting in a HDD can sometimes be cheaper, though for some reason I can't find any that say they use one or 2 USB ports :rolleyes:

5. -RV-

Gangster

I use a 500GB 2.5" Western Digital Blue in a Icybox caddy.

Works fine with 1 USB connection, but I have come across a 1 or 2 machines that it wont work with, then I just plug in the 2nd USB and its fine. The issue is not with the drive, but the machine its plugged into.

6. AbsenceJam

Mobster

I've found that some drives/enclosures are fussier than others, it's not all down to the machine you use it on.

7. raptormonkey

PermaBanned

I have also seen this myself. Looking for a good caddy for a 2.5 at the moment. Probably good to get one with 2 cables just in case!