1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Fans on one CPU!?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Rednut05, 23 Jan 2006.

1. Rednut05

Banned

Just wondering. Not really thought to much about.

On top of my CPU I have the heatsink and standard 120mm fan. Now if I place another 120mm fan on top of that will I gain in anyway.

Just bored. Have no money but a spare PC kicking about.

So anyone been as bored as me?

2. aphex

Hitman

I was curious about this a few months ago :p You need 2 fans, one that spins counter clockwise and the other clockwise but both blowing in the same direction. Apparently the gain isn't really worth the hassle!

3. Raikiri

Capodecina

It will decrease cooling with 2 standard fans, although removing the fan part, using the casing and making a funnel between the fan and heatsink is supposed to remove the dead spot

4. Rednut05

Banned

oooo
    Just looking for free or very cheap ways to improve on my cooling. I have a 120mm mount at front of case but case fasica has no holes so no air could be drawn in. now should i just bung some holes in it...?

5. a1ex2001

Capodecina

^^bung some holes in it, I had an old case with no front vents and even the single 80mm exhaust was struggling to get any air to throw out. Turned out it was sucking air around and through my CD drive which made a horrble dusty mess! Cut some vents at the front and added an intake fan and it all ran beaytifully and much cooler!

6. PieEater

Mobster

I ran 2 fans in parrellel both blowing in the same direction and the speed of the bottom fan went up by about 500rpm and CPU temps dropped by a couple of C's. Countless people said it wouldn't / shouldn't work, yet it did. It seemed to work best with about 1cm gap between the 2 fans and the gap sealed with electrical tape. Give it a go if you're bored it's not going to damage anything, post back the results.

7. Rednut05

Banned

Pie eater. you have given me the will. I will in these next few days.

8. PieEater

Mobster

Excellent :cool: dont forget to post back.

9. Jimbo Mahoney

Soldato

Parallel or serial? (Serial being one on top of the other, parallel being side by side).

10. PieEater

Mobster

I guess I mean serial then (one on top of the other), though as you bring it up some people did report good results running 2 fans side by side, I guess the dead spot is smaller that way.

11. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

You could always just strap the extra fan to the side of the CPU heatsink but if you havnt got an intake then I think making holes in the front is the best idea.