< - 20 cooling? any ideas

Soldato
Loads of guys on xs run chilled water through gpus. I'd guess they mainly dealt with condensation by not running it for a particularly long time. The approach which makes the most sense to me is placing the board in a sealed box, keep air out with some desiccant inside and there can be no condensation.

Otherwise I believe the approach of painting the entire card with nail varnish / liquid electrical tape etc is the one to go for. A strong argument in favour of only chilling the cpu is that insulating is easier. Since the cpu is the most important part to overclock (imo I suppose), and a smaller chiller can be used for the cpu only, this is the more usual approach. Ambient water cooling on everything except the cpu, and phase on the cpu.

Associate
OP
Loads of guys on xs run chilled water through gpus. I'd guess they mainly dealt with condensation by not running it for a particularly long time. The approach which makes the most sense to me is placing the board in a sealed box, keep air out with some desiccant inside and there can be no condensation.

Otherwise I believe the approach of painting the entire card with nail varnish / liquid electrical tape etc is the one to go for. A strong argument in favour of only chilling the cpu is that insulating is easier. Since the cpu is the most important part to overclock (imo I suppose), and a smaller chiller can be used for the cpu only, this is the more usual approach. Ambient water cooling on everything except the cpu, and phase on the cpu.

is nail varnish an insulator/?
also it would still let condensation form on your mobo

Soldato
It forms a continuous layer which doesn't dissolve in water.

If you can't make the logical jump from covering the graphics card with nail varnish to block water, to covering the motherboard with nail varnish to block water, I'm not sure this idea is for you.

Associate
OP
It forms a continuous layer which doesn't dissolve in water.

If you can't make the logical jump from covering the graphics card with nail varnish to block water, to covering the motherboard with nail varnish to block water, I'm not sure this idea is for you.

I was just asking so don't be so rude thank you

Associate
OP
Tbh, wanna run a 5ghz overclock 24/7 @ -20c or more

Only option is Phase

/thread

yeah ot's just for the price i'm paying it won't be too much more to go for a phase setup - does anyone know how hot (if at all) the compressors get?
.....just for working out where i want to put sound dampning foam.
Thanks again

Soldato
Hot enough that you don't really want to lag them in foam. Sound dampening isn't going to help much here I'm afraid, it only ever helps when you start with a very quiet system. Starting with a very load one and putting foam around it won't make any difference.

If you want 5ghz, you want phase, and it'll make a noise.
If you want faster than water speeds, you want peltiers, and it'll only make noise from the fans on radiators.

Id be surprised if peltiers cost more. A 50mm one is about £7.50, the design I'm looking at uses six of them. However beyond the cost of peltiers and copper I don't really have any costs, I'll machine it myself. If you've mentioned your metalworking ability anywhere I've missed it, are you looking at getting someone else to make this for you?

Back
Top Bottom