20 Reg Plate or 69

Associate
Hi all... I’m looking at getting a new Volkswagen Golf and it’s being held for me... The dealership is desperate to get me to take this car ASAP and keep phoning offering something additional to the offer (nothing major)... but I feel more inclined to wait for the new 20 plate instead of the 69... what would be worth more in the future?? I feel like the 20 plate may be worth more? Or will the novelty of a 69 plate offer more?

Soldato
What? :confused:

It's going to make zero difference in 3 years time, it's still the same car! If you're being offered a discount to take it on a 69 plate then take it, as, like i said, it's still going to be exactly the same car and the difference in value of a 69/20 plate in 3/4 years is going to be negligible, mileage tends to be more important to used car buyers anyway.

Associate
We’re in this exact same situation with a. Golf as it happens! We’re just collecting the car today as it’s ready. Would rather not have it sat in their car storage risking damage - don’t car about the minimal impact it will have on it’s value

Associate
I work in the motor industry and have found a lot of it comes down to vanity, a management company vehicle (my company maintains the fleet) wasn't happy last year and said to my bookings coordinator about what would the neighbors think, I doubt the neighbors would even notice, they were collecting their new company vehicle that was new but only had a few miles on the clock but was a 19 plate they were collecting after March 2019. Another wanted to use a Range Rover for her daughters wedding and wasn't happy about it being registered before March or September (I can't remember which), surely in that instance the wedding guests should be focussed on the bride and groom not the age of the car.

Anyway enough of me ranting! Just look at the offers on the vehicle and get the 69 plate cheaper.

Soldato
I work in the motor industry and have found a lot of it comes down to vanity, a management company vehicle (my company maintains the fleet) wasn't happy last year and said to my bookings coordinator about what would the neighbors think, I doubt the neighbors would even notice, they were collecting their new company vehicle that was new but only had a few miles on the clock but was a 19 plate they were collecting after March 2019. Another wanted to use a Range Rover for her daughters wedding and wasn't happy about it being registered before March or September (I can't remember which), surely in that instance the wedding guests should be focussed on the bride and groom not the age of the car.

Anyway enough of me ranting! Just look at the offers on the vehicle and get the 69 plate cheaper.

People are so weird

Soldato
People are so weird

I bought my E92 last year which came with a worthless private plate that meant nothing to me (JA03 JJA). Because I'd come from a much newer car beforehand it got a lot of attention at work as being "so old", comparatively.

I mean, I'm not fussed about the age of a car particularly but I did enjoy telling them 'achcchtually, it's a 2006 car, but whatever - it's not important'.

When I got rid of the plate and reverted back to the **56 *** a fair few colleagues remarked that they wished it was that easy to make their car look three years newer. Struggled to explain to them that nothing had happened! Honestly, the amount of young women in our office who mentioned this was insane, like something had genuinely changed with the car and its age had miraculously lowered. The same people who tell me often 'remember when you had that 67 plate?', not talking about the car itself, but just the plate.

I'm aware most women don't care about cars and such but if you turn up with the latest plate in a white Audi you will, for better or worse, "impress" some vain folk.

Associate
I've found the same recently as i bought a 19 plate E class in December. Several reactions were 'why wouldn't you get a car on a brand new plate?'. I really don't get it. Some people are far too concerned with their perceived image.

Agreed, and a lot of people use cherished number plates to hide the age of their car.

Soldato
Agreed, and a lot of people use cherished number plates to hide the age of their car.
Was just going to post that. The amount of private plates around where I live is unreal and I'm sure it's so that people don't know the age of the car.

They'll have stretched to the absolute limit to get that Audi A5 on pcp and are embarrassed they could only get a 65 plate .

Soldato
@wingman - This is because you are a motoring enthusiast and your colleagues are idiots.

They're potentially shallow, not necessarily idiotic I don't believe.

But you're right, I am an enthusiast, and to mention those particular colleagues is unfair to the couple of people I also know at work who compliment the car because of its age, noting the condition, how good they still look, etc.

The amount of private plates around where I live is unreal and I'm sure it's so that people don't know the age of the car.

And I've known of the opposite scenario where people will buy a brand new car and not want to put their private plate on it because they want everyone to know they've got the latest plate possible.

All the while the likes of the general OCUK motors forum populace enjoy buying lightly used/used cars which have enjoyed a fair amount of depreciation :)

Can you believe the gall I have to turn up to work in this?

w1YkJAV.jpg.png

Back
Top Bottom