2001 Honda Insight Mk1 - The OG hybrid now joined by a CRZ

Soldato
OP
Bit of an update. Changed the oil myself as honda last time did a crappy job with Mobil 1 and overfilled it.

ytLR44D.jpg

Undertray access is pretty slick.
bh64lwY.jpg

Following on from the thread here:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ur-car-today.18472267/page-1178#post-31739194

MWrDa7m.jpg

Well please after finally exhausting all routes, so stumped the cash up and will send the other driver the invoice and see how that goes.

For once all 3 of the cars are clean.
TnemMqi.jpg

tW7dq0H.jpg

Soldato
OP
d7DKmLp.png

1 year with it now, suprises how many miles I’ve done. But it’s a much faster car and those 2 rear seats have allow more use over the weekends unlike the Insight. Fun little car, I’ve enjoyed it and looks great in pearl white.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Love the idea of the CR-Z, just a shame it's not quite as practical as my Civic as it would be an ideal replacement. They're holding a little value too for a 6/7 year old car.

Civic has just ticked over 150k and I'd hate to have logged my running costs, my right foot makes a 1.8 petrol pretty uneconomical! Making me curious what the difference would be though, what app is that?

Caporegime
18500 miles in a year, I don't blame you :eek:

Do you find the MPG getting worse over time? Battery degradation has always been a fascination of mine given our latest trend of electrifying our transport. Very interested in seeing the mileage difference between a new battery and an old used one, with all parameters being equal.

Soldato
OP
Time for MOT and the CRZ needed pads all round. Went for blueprint as I liked them on the mini, accurate backing plates rather than pattern ones roughly cut and coated in thick paint and only £38 for them all.

Both rear pads were wedged, and a slider stuck. Typical honda caliper issue. Freed everything off but took some time. Love the proper wind back tools although managed to get one piston slightly twisted and stuck :rolleyes: so had to rebuild to press the pedal. Second time rather than the large disc on the piston rim I figured a large socket in the piston to then push squarer would be better. It worked. Sometimes I do like working on the car in the dark :p would have been nice to be daylight with a pressure washer as there’s some serious dirt in there.

Honda are better now with trying to avoid rust. Rear arches the metal lip between bodyside and outer arch is rolled at the factory and the seam sealant applied for 80% of the join.

jPzgn5w.jpg

RLKVNV9.jpg

Time to get it sold now. :mad:

Soldato
OP
So she went on Saturday to new owner.

Pva5MEY.jpg
PxUERFR.jpg

Reasonable MPG really. Never really tried but had a good commute as you can see from the mileage - fair few short trips too. Nice having that rorty (although no screamer) engine rev out with the slick gearshift and IMA really adding the the experience.

r5mJUNf.png

Soldato
Passed a ~2001 red Insight on the A1 yesterday morning. So cool to see them, the real OG hybrid.

Those fuel figures for the CR-Z are slightly worse than what I get from my Leon (1.4TSI ACT) on mixed roads at busy times!

Soldato
OP
Epic thread fail now with photobucket.

It’s at 272k now!
MOT runs out tomorrow and I still don’t have a windscreen so decides to scratch an itch and buy this, collect it tomorrow. I’ll decide what I end up keeping from then.

Well, MOT ran out Oct 2017.... and that's how it stayed. So revive the thread and car is now the plan! CRZ sold 2 years ago now - put 12k on it and sold for £300 more than I paid for it :)

U1p8fcz.jpg

Big fail on various brake lines which I' ve had fixed today. The front to rear and also the one that cross engine bay very low down to LH jump hose.

QGvtBme.jpg

Next item before retest is a handbrake cable that seized solid in the ally collar here in the steel sleeve... bad design. Thats on the way as a pattern part, not sure what will show up and also some smaller engine bay brake lines coming from Japan as Amayama still have good stock at sensible prices and here in 2days! Another advisory is the worn brake pedal rubber :cool:

a2mGg7e.jpeg

hrji7Wq.jpeg

Hopefully get that sorted ahead of the weekend and drive ready for a trip to Caffeine & Machine.

Comedy compared to the IPACE - 20 year age gap and not far off a 1/3rd of the weight!

cd8tEus.jpeg
cVwBW9I.jpeg

4yHHgFj.jpeg

Comedy compared to the IPACE - 20 year age gap and not far off a 1/3rd of the weight!

Soldato
Not sure I see 20yrs progress there......

Just an F-Type that mated with a fiesta and produced a really really fat baby.

The Honda on the other hand is perfect :D

Soldato
OP
Been plugging away at this the last few nights. Gave it a good clean to get its hibernation grime off.
eoaTbBK.jpg
qQfXcAB.jpg
1izwwwj.jpg

bit of weight saving after that and cleaner to attack the handbrake again, the pattern part only arrived today, £17 but from Germany - 12days in total!
9Vmh9Nh.jpg Success, glad I had goggles on drilling it as a drill bit snapped and a chunk hit me and lodged in my cheek! Thankfully for the design flaw the ally is soft.

Next was the knock sensor, wasn’t sure if this was fuelling issue but research suggest another frequent issue with the plastic coming away. This was the last NTK sensor from Rock Auto in the states, specific for insight otherwise a £15 K20 civic etc would have done the job - £80 and 3 days later it arrived.
xwcYzSR.jpg
bCLo1Wv.jpg
difficult access, plastic manifold and the funky EGR plate slid out, glad to see no real carbon build up since last time and much better access to use an adjustable spanner as I didn’t have a 24mm deep reach.

Interesting Califonia carcinogenic warning on the box, no idea what’s in the sensor. Comedy packaging in a massive box with air pouches
So just rattled around

NmItLab.jpg

Love the orders from Amayama, parts can be like 1/3 of the price of UK, arrived in 4 days! 5 brake pipes there to replace advisories on runs from the ABS modulator and a new brake pedal pad. Did well to get an advisory there - that’s Taxi territory.

Oaz4JkT.jpg

Thankfully passed today the MOT so back on the road turning heads doing what it does well. (My lad reached over for that shot) 7tlh5NT.jpg

Back
Top Bottom