2005 Australian Grand Prix - Time and most likely spoilers later. :D

Man of Honour
OP
Emlyn_Dewar said:
What did you used to do in f1 simon?

I did suspension.
Worked for a company that supplied at one point that I was there 6 teams in the pit lane with dampers, in some cases uprights and in a couple of cases a complete suspension package - dampers, uprights to the carbon wishbones and pushrods. Pretty much ready to be bolted to the car.

The dampers were my area though. Take a normal roadcar damper - strengthen it to take 10ton near instant loads, and shrink to 7" long. Oh..and increase the cost to around ~2.5 - 5k quid a corner.

I can say I have appeared on TV more than once...sadly virtually always covered in a full fireproof suit and crash helmet - either that or with my head stuck under the car or in the footwell.

Who says F1 is glamorous? :D

We also did custom systems for various teams. 1 team for a couple of years ran a shrunken version of our Rally car dampers. Did quite well - 2 world championships out of it.

We even developed a way around the Active Suspension rule. We could do it passively. Sold it to a team for a rather large amount of money *in excess of 1 million* they ran it at 1 test - 2 seconds a lap faster. Never ran it again. Apparently it was too heavy?? But they went 2 secs quicker?

We did everything from Formula Ford to F1, From GpN rallycars to Indycars to special jobs for the Royal Navy and one off car conversions for the Sultan of Brunei.

Also did vehicle dynamics and setup when at out home factory. Did some test driving of various new road cars. Some would turn blood red with embarassment or british racing green with sickness if it got out quite how much we did on their cars getting them to handle properly. ;)

Best bit was testing the cars though. Nothing like blasting 800 miles in 1 day in a brand new car - especially if it's before the press have driven it.

Worst bit - having bits fail at ~160mph and finding a concrete wall at the point of impact..

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
andi said:
I love the way they've got the fantastically cool new technology of letting us hear the team radios, and then those two pillocks talk all over it :rolleyes:

Could be good considering some of the stuff I've heard on the team radio's.. ;)

"tell that ******* ****sucker to get the **** out of my ******* way!"

The Final Qualifying session is 4 hours before the race.
As soon as the results are in my sweaty mitts I'll post them up here..I will try to hide them though so you can have a bit of a surprise..

As far as I know - Qual2 is going to be tacked onto the begining of the race show. Shame...ITV2 and ITV3 show crap so why not put the whole race weekend on there....

Simon/~Flibster

Arc

Arc

Associate
Flibster said:
Yup.

Did I laugh when MS was sliding all over the place. Oh yes. :D Oh..he's the rainmaster.

Sato - D'oh!!! What more do I need to say...

Not bad for someone on the wrong tyres with the rain pouring down on his fast lap. Look what happened to Sato on his outlap in the same conditions :p.

Grid is pretty much set for the race (unless there are similar wet-dry-wet conditions for the 2nd qual session). Race should be fantastic with a grid like that though :D.

Associate
andi said:
I love the way they've got the fantastically cool new technology of letting us hear the team radios, and then those two pillocks talk all over it :rolleyes:

New to ITV coverage. Shame they don't broadcast Digital F1 anymore who had it way back (2 years ago was it?). Oh well.
I think James Allen is the only pillock mind, Martin Brundle is fantastic. Can't say a bad word against him.

Soldato
Sharknose said:
My bet for the race, assuming the car holds together is Kimi. Don't know why. Just have this feeling.

i had a feeling if he had the qualifying in the bag ie top 3 he would win the race, but i dont know if fisichella doesnt get caught up in any accident or reliability issues he has the race, the renault as has been said many times looks fantastically planted this season, with some serious power to match. but i reckon kimi will be up there, he will be looking at qualifying 9th moving up one spot above karthikeyan. unless barichello or montoya pull out a lap that much better than raikkonen can pull out.

MS will be in the points if he avoids trouble, but starting 16th will not help him, but we will see what happens at qualifying 2, it might be all change if we have dodgy weather again! but we shall see! it will certainly be an interesting race!

Man of Honour
OP
Rightyho..

Just checked the times of the qual2 and Race.

Qualifying 2 is at 23:00 tonight - should have the results by 00:30
ITV2 coverage starts at 02:00 - race starts at 03:00.

I've got plenty of times to go to Tesco's to get some snacks for tonight. Got the Toffee Popcorn - need more coke, crisps, ice cream and crap like that. :D

Also need to get some more Bond films in - seen all 3 I rented from blockbusters already today.

Be back later. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
It is absolutely shocking they are not showing Quali 2. Didn't the FIA fanny about with the qualifying so it would get more coverage and make it more exciting?! If so then why the hell don't they show it.

ITV1 - 23:20 - Sneakers :o
ITV2 - 23:00 - Peter and Jordan: Laid Bare :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
ITV3 - 23:00 - Hammer House of Horror :confused:

Why on earth aren't they showing it?! Totally lame if you ask me.

On topic - Best qualifying I've seen in years! :D

Soldato
You dare to think that F1 is more important that some crummy set up documentary about Peter and Jordan? Curse you! Go and stand in the corner and think about what you have implied!
Nah, seriously though, it's a joke. I don't see quali 2 being that exciting, but I'd still like to see/hear the cars go round the track! Sigh. Hopefully they change the quali back to the old format, or one better change it back to the older 12 laps quali! This system is dire and just makes the qualifying sessions pretty pointless...

I'll need to drink some serious volumes of red bull to fuel me through the race and post race analysis (THEY BETTER HAVE ONE!!!!) Didn't get much sleep last night, which isn't so great.
Still, the race should be a good one, especially with the topsy turvy grid we will have! And the last section of the race should be fun, with tyres going off and what not.

Can't help but feel sorry for the Minardi drivers though, those cars aregoing to be even worse to drive than usual. :(

Back
Top Bottom