2005 Belgian Grand Prix

Soldato
rpstewart said:
No, by having Minardi race the current RB1 chassis they save the cost of building a new car. Minardi have already signed a contract to use rev limited V10s next year - the engine which the RB1 chassis is designed to take so no further modification required.

They can't run the same chassis anyway under the current F1 rules but I assume the rules have been changed to allow the sale of previous designs and / or physical parts.

ah right ok...cheers :D

Soldato
Pizzonia to race in Belgium
Brazilian Antonio Pizzonia will stand in for Williams driver Nick Heidfeld in Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix at Spa, the Formula One team said. Pizzonia, a test driver for the BMW-powered team since losing his place at Jaguar in 2003, replaced the German in last weekend's Italian Grand Prix.

Sunday will also be his 25th birthday.

Heidfeld, who crashed in testing at Monza on August 26, had complained of a headache after Friday's practice at the Italian circuit.

Williams said that, given the intense demands of races on successive weekends, they had decided to give Heidfeld sufficient time to recover fully.

By making an early decision on Pizzonia, the team also ensured it could capitalise on the Brazilian's Monza placing, with the starting order in qualifying dictated by the results of the previous race.

Pizzonia raced at Spa last year as a replacement for injured German Ralf Schumacher, leading for one lap but retiring with a mechnical problem while on course for the podium.

Team boss Frank Williams said the first priority was prudence.

"Although the broad view is that he (Heidfeld) may well be ready to race by Friday, the back-to-back calendar at this time does not allow the luxury of more time to reach this conclusion," he said.

"It is best for Nick, and indeed the team, if we make a clear and early decision that Antonio will race this weekend.

"In addition to allowing Nick more time to recover, we can nominate Antonio now and he can benefit on Saturday in Belgium with a good starting position for qualifying."

Belgium will be the 17th race of Pizzonia's career and reunites him again with Australian Mark Webber.

There is little love lost between the former Jaguar team mates and the pressure will be on Webber to outperform Pizzonia after finishing 14th at Monza.

Pizzonia, who drove in four races last year after Ralf was injured at Indianapolis, will be hoping to press his case for a race seat in 2006.

Man of Honour
Is it just me or have we seen far more driver injuries and substitutions this year than in previous years? We've already had Montoya's iffy shoulder, Zonta in for Ralf at Indy, Webber's burnt bum and now Heidfeld's headaches.

Williams have had a couple of stints with Gene and Pizzonia in the last couple of years but that's about all I can remember since MS's leg break.

Man of Honour
OP
rpstewart said:
Is it just me or have we seen far more driver injuries and substitutions this year than in previous years? We've already had Montoya's iffy shoulder, Zonta in for Ralf at Indy, Webber's burnt bum and now Heidfeld's headaches.

Williams have had a couple of stints with Gene and Pizzonia in the last couple of years but that's about all I can remember since MS's leg break.

There's been a few - however Webber did race through hiis - had a burn the size of a tennisball on his arse...

Thats gotta hurt. :eek:

Heidfeld and Ralf were due to accidents - that I can understand as well - especially Ralf's - throwing it off in exactly the same place as last year...Heidfeld headaches I'm having problems understanding tbh - I think he may have just had a little look at death...

Also - Heidfeld qualifies this race from the back - pizzonia goes 7 from last..

Which makes more sense? ;)

I don't think we'll ever know what Montoya did... ;)

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=25761 said:
But where will the pay drivers go?

It would appear that there are now several parties interested in purchasing Minardi - with Paul Stoddart admitting interest from up to five possible purchasers.

This means that in 2006 the team Minardi, as we know it, could be missing from the grid. But where would this leave the 'pay drivers'.

Of the current grid alone, Christijan Albers, Robert Doornbos, Jarno Trulli, Mark Webber, Giancarlo Fisichella and World Champion elect, Fernando Alonso, all made their F1 debuts with the Faenza outfit. While both Ferrari test drivers, Luca Badoer and Marc Gene, not forgetting BAR's Anthony Davidson, can all thanks the Italian team for their F1 'breaks'.

We understand that in recent weeks several interested parties have carried out the necessary due diligence with a view to purchasing Minardi. Theses include Red Bull and a Russian consortium 'fronted' by Eddie Irvine. We understand that there is also "serious" interest from ABN AMRO Corporate Finance and two others.

The most likely buyer is Red Bull, and the purchase of Minardi by the Austrian drinks company, and its flamboyant owner, Dietrich Mateschitz, would go down very well with various people, including Bernie Ecclestone, who would have another entry for his 'new' World Championship (post 2007) and Max Mosley, who is a good friend of the Austrian.

Despite what some people might think, Stoddart is not looking to sell the team because he wants to get out of F1, or because he has simply grown tired of the sport, far from it. In fact he wants someone to come along who can move the team on, to develop it.

The thought that the Minardi name may well be missing from the grid, will shock some traditionalists, but we all know that in contemporary F1 there is no time for sentimentality, besides which, Red Bull's 'Rock 'n' Roll' approach to F1 is just the sort of thing that Bernie wants to see.

Buying Minardi would seem a perfect for solution for Red Bull, which for various reasons, has a wealth of drivers on its books, with new talent (seemingly) stepping off the Driver Search conveyor belt all the time. We already have Coulthard, Klien and Liuzzi, but waiting in the wings are Scott Speed, A.J. Allmendinger and countless other.

The idea of a Red Bull Team USA, which is what Minardi could become, is nothing new, Tom Walkinshaw first mooted the idea when Arrows ran into trouble in 2001.

In many ways, Red Bull purchasing Minardi makes perfect sense, however, the disappearance of the team, as is, would close another vital avenue for drivers wishing to break into F1, even if they have to pay for the privilege.

To many, the idea of pay drivers is abhorrent, however, the reality is that there have been pay drivers in motorsport since it first began, and though Patrick Friesacher might not make it into the F1 record books, Fernando Alonso most certainly will.

It is the dream of any young racer to eventually break into the pinnacle of motorsport, but don't kid yourself that this is down to raw talent. Young racers today need money, lots of it, which means managers, advisors and all manner of other assistants. It means not simply being good in the car, but being good with sponsors, fans and the media. In other words its no longer about race-craft, young F1 hopefuls have to be marketable.

If, or rather when, Minardi disappears from the grid, morphing into Red Bull Team 2, or whatever, it will be a bad day for many youngsters currently working their way up through the ranks, and a further signal to the sport that we need more teams not less.

Soldato
If, or rather when, Minardi disappears from the grid, morphing into Red Bull Team 2, or whatever, it will be a bad day for many youngsters currently working their way up through the ranks, and a further signal to the sport that we need more teams not less.
Oh so true, at least Minardi offered drivers with personal sponsors a chance to race in F1

Associate
Dutch Guy said:
Oh so true, at least Minardi offered drivers with personal sponsors a chance to race in F1

I think its a good thing as it should be the best drivers in F1 and not the driver who can bring the most money to the team.

Also with Stoddart not running Mnardi, will allow him to put his hat in the ring for Max's job or that with the other teams in the other championship.

Soldato
Fire 1 said:
Also with Stoddart not running Mnardi, will allow him to put his hat in the ring for Max's job or that with the other teams in the other championship.
now that is an excellent point

stoddy would do a great job for F1 in Max's position... but then again so would a used spark plug!

Man of Honour
Fire 1 said:
I think its a good thing as it should be the best drivers in F1 and not the driver who can bring the most money to the team.

Sure there have been some real duffers who have bought there place on the grid but there are also a large number of drivers who have either provided there own money or had their seat paid for by another benefactor and have gone on to works drives.

Alonso, Webber, Michael Schumacher, Fisi, Trulli to name but a few.

Soldato
Fire 1 said:
That is true, but a person with lots of money and zero skill will be dropped by the team or stop himself if he is 3 seconds a lap slower than his teammate.

What was the name of the Minardi driver last year I think that was horribly slow but had lots of monay?

Man of Honour
OP
Crisis meeting at Maranello

Ferrari spent Tuesday in a 'crisis meeting' at Maranello, the German 'Bild' newspaper claims.

The reason, of course, is obvious. Even the most trivial glance at the motor sport section of any publication will tell you that the Prancing Horse is in trouble.

Michael Schumacher's mood is a dim one ahead of his favourite circuit, Spa Francorchamps. 'I always have special feelings when this race comes around,' the German said.

'But I have to admit that our recent performances are dampening my enthusiasm. I don't have the impression we will do all that well at Spa.'

The Italian crisis was felt right in the hip pocket of the Monza organisers. Early estimates put the grand prix ticket decline at around 15 per cent, but the final count shows that 30 per cent less Italians rolled through the gates.

And that's not all. An enormous 2.7 million less Italians than last year tuned into the Italian GP TV coverage.

Perhaps also discussed at the Ferrari meeting was the pressing issue of 'continuity' beyond next year. It is not inconceivable that the team could lose Michael Schumacher, Ross Brawn and Jean Todt in one swift stroke.

'Ferrari will move forwards,' Todt - asked about Kimi Räikkönen, Valentino Rossi and the future - replied. He added: 'When we need new people - drivers, engineers, team principal - we try to find the best.'

Soldato
Michael Schumacher's mood is a dim one ahead of his favourite circuit, Spa Francorchamps. 'I always have special feelings when this race comes around,' the German said.

'But I have to admit that our recent performances are dampening my enthusiasm. I don't have the impression we will do all that well at Spa.'
The words "Spoilt Brat" is what I think of that, god how I dislike Schumi.

Soldato
Can't wait for this Race. Personally i think its the best racing track out there. There were others but with track re designing seems to have made them into more of a parade race :(.. just my opinion though.

Roll on Sunday :D

Soldato
MarkLP said:
Can't wait for this Race. Personally i think its the best racing track out there. There were others but with track re designing seems to have made them into more of a parade race :(.. just my opinion though.

Roll on Sunday :D
think the current regs will bugger up this race as well
I really hope not :(

Man of Honour
OP
Apparently the Bus Stop has been buggered around with again...

Wonder if it's to Schumachers requirement...

...again...

...like the last 2 mods to it...

Simon/~Flibster

Back
Top Bottom