2005 Chinese Grand Prix

Man of Honour
OP
Second Honda Team to Run Current BAR Chassis?

The second Honda-powered Formula 1 team being formed around Takuma Sato could be a duplicate of the works BAR squad, according to Autosport-Atlas.com.

If it does finalize its deal to race in 2006, the new team is now thought likely to run BAR’s 2006-spec chassis rather than this year’s model, as previously anticipated. The reason, it seems, is that the new Honda V8 engine will not properly fit in the current car.

The speculation is that Honda, which now owns the entire BAR team, plans to sell the design for next year’s BAR 008 to the new, still unnamed, team so that it begin preparations to compete. If the team is unable to get its affairs in order in time, then the car would be used as a basis for its 2007 chassis. In this way, the new team would get around F1’s governing Concorde Agreement requirement that teams must design and build their own car, since it would “own” the design when it officially commits to an F1 entry.

The ownership group behind the new team remains unknown, IRL IndyCar co-owner Aguri Suzuki having denied rumors at the Japanese Grand Prix last weekend that he was involved. Since then, speculation has centered on investors from Dubai being the source of funding for the project, having been rebuffed earlier this year in efforts to buy shares in BAR itself.

In addition to Sato, who is losing his seat on the BAR team to Rubens Barrichello next season, BAR test driver Anthony Davidson has also been linked to a possible race seat with the new team.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Also - just spoke to a mate in China - allegedly Honda have bought the old Arrows factory site at Leafield and the Tesco's site in Brackley to build a start of the art F1 environment.

I suspect Honda will be spending some serious wedge on F1 over the next couple of years.

Simon/~Flibster

Associate
Flibster said:
Well then...Here we are - the last race of the 2005 season.

Between us all - this year so far we have done a total of 7094 posts. :eek:

We've had all the usual people from last year's posts around as well throwing abuse at drivers/teams/each other ;)
We've had some new people join in our healthy arguments - hopefully we haven't scared you off. ;)

Most of all though - it's been fun for me to do. All the frantic typing during qualifying - all the spotted typo's - all the unspotted typo's

Anyway - at the end of this weekend we are saying goodbye to many things in F1 - some good - some bad.

Sauber
Jordan
V10's
Pay drivers
BAR *well..the name anyway*
Single Lap Qualifying *as dull as it is - it's easy for me to do.*
The number 1 on a Ferrari *does a happy little dance*

And the things I will miss more than all of the above.

Minardi and Paul Stoddart.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's in tears at the end of the race. He loves his motorsport.

Well you haven't scared me off, although there's still one race to go so I won't be counting my chickens just yet ;). Has been very enjoyable taking part in the banter and commentary this season and I much look forward to more of the same next season - perhaps a Silverstone GP meet up with everyone is required?

As you have said, there will be a lot of changes in the new season; some good, some bad, but who knows what it will bring - as this whole season has shown, Formula 1 is on the way up again after recent disappointments :).

Man of Honour
Great.. no live qually again :(

Good (possible) news on Davidson racing this wkend though :cool: he does deserve a proper race and hopefully won't drop out after 3 laps like last time :)

Soldato
Byron5184 said:
I love the chinese GP track, that straight is a monster, over a kilometre, so lots of slipstreaming to be done :D

Come on Button, finish off a poor year with the top step :D
amen to button getting on the top step but I dont like this track!
Once again Flib...thanks for doing this its been great!
just like sitting with me mates to watch it!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the threads and posts people, Flibster in particular for the lots of info and threads, it made for interesting reading when I missed a race.

As for theis GP, I can't remeber last years race, is it a good track for some overtaking or not?

Soldato
well there's a looong right hand corner onto the 55mile long straight! :D so possible overtaking into that corner and possibly the last and maybe the first

seem to remember some overtaking last year but am not too sure. One this for sure is that it wont be as good as Suzuka last week :( that was a mental race :cool:

same ITV are carp broadcasters and aint got the qually on live again :mad:

Man of Honour
OP
Ooooh....More money to be spent here... :D

Ground-breaking sale at Williams

Bonhams has been appointed by one of the world's leading Formula One teams, WilliamsF1, to hold a sale at its factory headquarters in Grove, Oxfordshire, on 14 December 2005.

A hand-picked selection of more than 20 of the WilliamsF1's Reserve Collection of Formula One cars and memorabilia, spanning the company's entire 28-year history, will be sold.

WilliamsF1's HQ in Oxfordshire is home to one of the world's foremost private collections of Formula One cars, tracing the seminal moments in the team's history over a quarter of a century. Exhibited in a purpose-built interactive museum opened in 2002, the Williams Grand Prix Collection is a commitment to preserve and maintain a detailed account of the company's illustrious past.

The company's inventory has grown relentlessly, with every season of competition adding a number of chassis which have been retained by the company. Over the past two years, plans have been developed to consolidate the museum displays, and it is the WilliamsF1 Reserve Collection which is now to be offered for sale by Bonhams.

Star lots to be offered will include the Williams Honda FW10B in which Nigel Mansell won his inaugural Grand Prix at Brands Hatch in 1985, Mansell's FW14B in which he won six Grands Prix en route to his World Championship title in 1992, Damon Hill's FW18 from his World Championship season in 1996 as well as cars with Grand Prix winning history in the hands of drivers such as Riccardo Patrese, Alain Prost, Jacques Villeneuve, Juan Pablo Montoya and Ralf Schumacher.

WilliamsF1's Team Principal, Frank Williams, said: "I am delighted our long-standing policy of retaining our race cars allows us to both maintain a world-class museum collection and release some race cars with impeccable provenance from our Reserve collection to private collectors. In addition to the 20 race cars, there are some interesting additional items such as Renault Clio Williams chassis no 0001 and around one hundred other items which I hope will make the sale of great interest."

Sir Frank Williams' entry into Formula One began modestly with a lone private-owner car in 1969, and after eight seasons of solid endeavour, he founded Williams Grand Prix Engineering in 1977. His inspired leadership then combined with the technical expertise and similarly relentless commitment of Technical Director, Patrick Head, to see the Williams team become the best in the world within just three years. The team achieved its first Grand Prix victory in 1979 - with Clay Regazzoni driving a Williams FW07 at Silverstone - and its first World Championship title in 1980 - with Australian star driver, Alan Jones.

Since this time, Williams has won no fewer than 16 Formula One World titles - nine Formula One Constructors' World Championships plus seven Formula One Drivers' World Championship crowns. The team first made its mark in the period1977-80 using Cosworth engine power and with this original Cosworth partnership being renewed next season, the great British team is looking to add to its already immensely impressive record of 113 Grands Prix victories.

This auction by such a leading current Formula One team offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for enthusiasts, collectors and would-be competitors in historic Formula One series alike to buy a piece of the remarkable WilliamsF1 story.

Along with the complete cars and rolling chassis to be offered from the Reserve Collection, the Sale will include some 100 plus lots of factory parts and associated memorabilia from the team's own archives ranging from the damaged wishbone from Damon Hill's clash with Michael Schumacher in the 1994 Australian Grand Prix to the race suit in which Jacques Villeneuve claimed the 1997 World Championship in Jerez.

Ooooh...going to have to go there and spend a lot of money...

Man of Honour
OP
Last F1 Race for Historic Names: Sauber, Minardi, Jordan, BAR

The chequered flag in Shanghai this Sunday will wave a special and poignant meaning for the entire formula one paddock.

The Sauber, Jordan, Minardi and BAR names - forty per cent of the grid - are set to race away from the sport as a new set of owners blow into F1.

Peter Sauber's exit from motor racing after 36 years, with his Hinwil based privateer team sold to BMW, will be marked by a big dinner in China thrown by a sponsor.

"If I could decide it myself," said the quiet and typically politically-neutral Swiss, "I would keep it low key but it will not be possible."

Eddie Jordan has long departed the grand prix arena, but Shanghai will mark the last blast for his former team's yellow livery and name, as 'Midland' drives into pitlane.

To honour the last race for Jordan's bright yellow paintjob, new billionaire owner Alex Shnaider will host a 'Farewell Cocktail' in the paddock.

In typical Paul Stoddart style, meanwhile, the always-rebellious team owner - who has sold his little Minardi team to another billionaire - will throw an Aussie barbeque near the formula one pit garages.

"What are they going to do," the gruff Stoddart grinned to the Daily Telegraph newspaper when asked what Bernie Ecclestone thought of the break in F1 paddock etiquette, "ban me?!"

Man of Honour
OP
Bugger... :(

Sato confirmed to race in China

Takuma Sato has been confirmed to race in China, therefore the speculations that gave his second BAR Honda to Anthony Davidson are now over.

"I am absolutely determined to have a strong race in my final grand prix for BAR Honda," the Japanese driver said when he arrived in China.

However, the Sunday's race will be his last with BAR Honda outfit. Despite some offers from Midlands and a mysterious new team set to make debut in F1 next year, Sato hasn't signed a contract yet.

Man of Honour
OP
FIA's New Theories on Reducing Downforce, Creating Easier Passing

F1's governing body will reveal in Shanghai this weekend a plan about how to increase overtaking.

In a Q&A with the British 'Guardian' newspaper, Max Mosley - the FIA president - admitted that making the racing better is more complex than simply reducing downforce and increasing tyre grip.

He said: "Simulations have shown that the reduction in downforce would have to be so great that the cars would be slower than GP2 or formula three.

"But we think we now have the answer to this problem."

There is considerable speculation as to what the FIA plan to do about the question of aerodynamics, downforce and enhanced racing, particularly as - Suzuka aside - the 2005 changes appear to have made it more difficult for a car to follow and overtake its rival.

The FIA's earlier '90 per cent' downforce reduction plan is now believed to be on the scrapheap, the latest idea being to create downforce parity by imposing 'limits'.

Mosley believes a 'x newton' limit per car would force teams to focus on limiting drag rather than producing downforce.

Associate
Flibster - quick message to you - Messenger not working - do you have the Jap GP - my lovely PC has decided it doesnt like that file and wiped it somehow!!!

Hopefully they can get to the level of close racing and overtaking that we now see on the A1GP tracks.

Arc

Arc

Associate
Interesting news, Williams having a fire sale by the looks of it, do they need the cash that badly? BAR/Honda should just let Davidson go as they never seem likely to give him a chance, he should be in a racing seat instead of Sato.

Not sure what the FIA are up to. One of the things they were looking at was to ban winglets and any other aero devices above the sidepods (eg the McLaren bull horns). I'd prefer that, back to nice clean looking cars :). At least they've realised that continually reducing downforce isnt the right answer.

Soldato
He said: "Simulations have shown that the reduction in downforce would have to be so great that the cars would be slower than GP2 or formula three.
Not if they use big fat slicks and increase the mechanical grip.
Takuma Sato has been confirmed to race in China, therefore the speculations that gave his second BAR Honda to Anthony Davidson are now over.
Does Sato have a contract with Honda or something, why do they keep giving him drives and not a big kick up his rear end with a nice size 12's :confused:

Man of Honour
OP
goreblast said:
Flibster - quick message to you - Messenger not working - do you have the Jap GP - my lovely PC has decided it doesnt like that file and wiped it somehow!!!

Hopefully they can get to the level of close racing and overtaking that we now see on the A1GP tracks.

I think so - I haven't checked it yet though.

Dutch Guy said:
Does Sato have a contract with Honda or something, why do they keep giving him drives and not a big kick up his rear end with a nice size 12's :confused:

He's Honda's poster boy - take a look at his racing history - always with Honda.

Other news - BAR have changed their paint scheme for China again - Still white - but with large bits of Blue with 555 on them.

555bar.jpg

Button has also been ill with a high temperature - but he's in the car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom