2005 European Grand Prix

Man of Honour
OP
J1nxy said:
Did anybody else notice the flash on the inside of the wheel before it let go?

Volunteer for what is the question??

Didn't notice that - will check the PVR at lunch time. :D

And yes..that is a question. ;) :p

Also - if any passing UB's/Dons read this - could you archive these 2 threads please - just to move them in with the other 2005 season ones..

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17404961
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17410326

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Awwww..spoilsport. :D

I'm not going to be around for the Inianapolis GP - just need someone to do all this for me. Well not all of it - just the bit after the initial post of race, champ standings and the like. :D

I have templates that can be used for the formatting stuff. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
Flibster said:
Awwww..spoilsport. :D

Last time I volunteered for anything without asking I ended up as the glamourous assistant in a magic act in front of about 300 people :eek:

I can certainly do the Indy stats & stuff, just let me know how to do the hidden tables & stuff

Email in trust...

Peter

Man of Honour
OP
rpstewart said:
Last time I volunteered for anything without asking I ended up as the glamourous assistant in a magic act in front of about 300 people :eek:

I can certainly do the Indy stats & stuff, just let me know how to do the hidden tables & stuff

Email in trust...

Peter

I want to know more about the glamourous assistant bit. :D

Sounds interesting. ;)

Will drop you an email later *for some weird reason I can't email from my laptop... :confused:*

If you're even on MSN mate my msn info is <------- thattaway...

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Max Max Max...

You really are a muppet...you want F1 to be safer - then restrict the number of tyres.. :rolleyes:

Anyway - his latest fevered ramblings...

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33025 said:
FIA president Max Mosley has indicated that there will be no change in the one-tyre per race rgulations and called on Formula 1's teams to make safety their number one priority in the wake of Kimi Raikkonen's last lap retirement from the European Grand Prix.

Raikkonen's suspension failed through vibrations from a flat-spotted right-front tyre sending him into the barriers at 140mph – prompting some within F1 to call into question whether the rule is dangerous.

McLaren's decision to keep Raikkonen on-track sparked a debate as to what constituted a 'tyre in dangerous condition' – the only situation under which a tyre can be changed during a race.

But the FIA has suggested that not only is it the team's responsibility to ensure its car is safe to race, but that a car may be black-flagged if the stewards deemed its technical integrity to be in doubt.

"It should not be forgotten that a mechanical failure at high speed may involve a degree of risk to the spectating public," said Mosley in an open letter to the teams.

"If you are in any doubt about your car, you should always call it in.

"If you are still in doubt after checking the car in the pits, you should retire it from the race."

Mosley emphasised that the letter was not a swipe at McLaren, but that it was time for F1 in general to take stock of the situation.

"We do not want to feed the localised and ill-considered hysteria about tyres, nor is this letter in any way a criticism of McLaren Mercedes (most of us would probably have done the same in their place last weekend)," said Mosley.

"However we have sent the attached letter to both tyre companies and we feel this is the right moment to ask everyone to remember their responsibilities.

"When a car's mechnical integrity has, or may have, been compromised by a race incident, it is for the team to decide whether to continue, make a pit stop or retire from the race."

Mclaren CEO Martin Whitmarsh claimed after the race that a lack of clarity over what is considered a tyre's 'dangerous condition' has left teams with an awkward choice that could lead to sacrificing a strong result unnecessarily.

"We took a decision which obviously has created a precedent now, and which demonstrates how dangerous it is," he said. "These regulations have given us a dilemma we would rather not have."

Mosley also wrote a separate letter to the tyre manufacturers Bridgestone and Michelin indicating that tyres should be robust enough to withstand any race condtion.

"Tyres should be built to be reliable under all circumstances," he told both companies.

"Including prolonged periods under the safety car, off-road excursions, abuse on kerbs, contact with other cars and contact with debris on the track.

"We are confident that we can rely on you to make every effort to see that there are no more tyre failures this season."

Soldato
sounds like he'd like them to introduce Run-flat tyres in F1...he'll be telling the rallt drivers next that the should not use pace notes as they will distract the drivers attention away from the road ahead.

Steve

Soldato
Urm... isn't he just saying teams shouldn't run damaged cars and the tire manufactures should make tires that are durable enough to take the punishment that can reasonably be expected of them over 200 miles of grand prix racing. That's not too much to ask is it?

Man of Honour
OP
clv101 said:
Urm... isn't he just saying teams shouldn't run damaged cars and the tire manufactures should make tires that are durable enough to take the punishment that can reasonably be expected of them over 200 miles of grand prix racing. That's not too much to ask is it?

They should have been doing this all the while though - if the car is obviously dangerous *which Raikkonen's wasn't* they will get the black and orange flag - which pretty much means they must pit asap and get it seen to.

They also have the ability to black flag as well - anyone remember the last time it was used? Seem to remember it was when M.Schumacher had bargeboards hanging off his car - they called him in with the flags

Plus - who's to say whats is dangerous - they can't even decide when a tyre is dangerous - Raikkonens was not considered dangerous as it still had pressure in it. Thus - not allowed to change it under the wonderfull new rules without being excluded form the results. :rolleyes:

What about this bit though...

"Tyres should be built to be reliable under all circumstances," he told both companies.

"Including prolonged periods under the safety car, off-road excursions, abuse on kerbs, contact with other cars and contact with debris on the track.

"We are confident that we can rely on you to make every effort to see that there are no more tyre failures this season."

So...he wants tyres that will not flat spot, go down in pressure when cold, get affected by dirt/gravel...

So he wants solid tyres then - and it also seems that if there's a tyre failure this year he will take steps.

Moon on a stick anyone?

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
It's perfectly possible to make a tire that will not become dangerous after 200 miles of grand prix racing - it'll just be a lower performance tire. The challenge is to get two competing companies to compromise performance when building a stronger tyre, with one manufacture it would be easy.

Associate
Mosley is a ****, he seems to be good at writing letters to teams *after* the event.

He promised to listen to fans and didnt.
And laughably threatened to sue an EU politician for saying "nobody is above the law"
Max obviously thinking he is.

Back
Top Bottom