2005 French Grand Prix

Soldato
I have to admit I have no clue as to what I reckon is gonna come of this.

Surely it can't be one team? They all took the same action.

Permabanned
I hope that if it is not all teams concerned then the team leaders will have the strength of character and the bloody BACKBONE to all pull out.

*n

Soldato
why does Mad max threaten with quotes like this?

"In Mosley's previous letter to Michelin on June 21, also made public on the FIA's website, he suggested that the French company had suffered unrelated tyre wall failures at separate circuits and requested information be provided to the FIA on all tyre failures in the last two years.

The FIA president warned that Michelin could yet face exclusion from the French Grand Prix.

"As soon as we receive this information, we will submit it to independent technical experts (in confidence, of course) for urgent evalution," said Mosley.

"Based on their report our technical department will decide whether or not to invite the stewards of the French Grand Prix to exercise their powers under Article 127 of the International Sporting Code in respect of any car fitted with Michelin tyres."

Article 127 states that the stewards of the meeting may exclude a vehicle whose construction is deemed to be dangerous."

It seems its ok for the FIA to ban teams for safety but the tyre manufacturer cannot???

WTF??? :confused:

How has this become so personal???? Talk about childish

Associate
Bill101 said:
I cannot see how he will make a one team ban stick, they all took the same action after getting the same advice/warning.

Yes, but BAR were already under warning following their ban for the illegal fuel tanks.

On the one hand I hope that the punishments are slapped wrists and everyone goes home and gets on with preparations for the weekend, but on the gory side I want to see one or two teams receive a ban and the rest of the Michelin runners come out in sympathy.

This afternoon will be an interesting one...

Man of Honour
OP
Press conference has now started I believe...

However - just found this...

www.updatef1.com said:
With the meeting now finished, Max Mosley, FIA President, is due to hold a Press Conference at 3pm Paris time.

This will be followed sometime later by a response from the teams involved.

Initial reports that BAR, at least, are facing a ban can not be confirmed, although rumours are that the news is not positive.

Paul Stoddart, Minardi Chief, presented himself at the venue but was refused entry to the meeting itself.

At present all team representatives are refusing to comment.

Oooh poop.

Simon/~Flibster

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
And found this...

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33282 said:
STODDART: SIGNS “NOT GOOD” FOR MICHELIN TEAMS
Last Updated: Wednesday, 29, June, 2005, 13:03

Minardi boss Paul Stoddart has hinted that the outcome of the FIA World Council hearing may be unfavourable to the seven Michelin teams which controversially withdrew from the US Grand Prix.

“The general feeling of the people I’ve spoken to is that it is not good, but I can’t elaborate on that,” said the Australian.

Stoddart also revealed that "the manufacturer teams are going to meet at five o'clock to discuss the situation at a hotel around the corner."

The team principals of McLaren, Renault, Williams, Toyota, Sauber, Red Bull and BAR have been called today to the HQ of world motorsport’s governing body at the Place de la Concorde in Paris to face charges of bringing the sport into disrepute.

They refused to race at Indianapolis on June 19 after tyre supplier Michelin said it couldn’t guarantee the safety of its tyres following several failures blamed on excessive load through the banked Turn 13.

That left just Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi on the grid, sparking a global outcry and a week of public debate between the teams, Michelin and the FIA as to who was at fault for the fiasco.

Potential penalties for the teams could include fines, loss of championship points or even a ban from the sport.

The bosses of the seven teams were all called in individually at 10-minute intervals to see the board of national motorsport chiefs that forms the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council throughout Wednesday morning.

They would not disclose to the waiting crowd of journalists what went on in the behind-closed-doors meeting as they left however.

“The comment is that there is no comment,” said Red Bull team principal Christian Horner.

Associate
It seems to be a no win situation, the Michelin teams wanted changes to the circuit to make it safe for them to race, FIA reckoned changing the circuit so late would be dangerous. Ferrari simply stuck to their guns, they had a car that could race and didnt see why things should be changed to accomodate the Michelin runners.

Having said that this witch hunt that is now taking place is all wrong, Michelin made a mistake and help their hands up to it. They acted correctly and in a manner to ensure the safety of all those taking part.

Let it lie now.

olv

olv

Soldato
i dont see this turning out well, i really dont see how they could just ban 1 team when all 7 teams acted in the same way.

Man of Honour
OP
Last thing I heard is that Michelin could be banned from Motorsport....

Or the cars could be ruled unsafe by the stewards as they had Michelin tyres and as such could not take part in any GP where that happened...

Strangely - not one question was asked after Bridgestones failures after safety car periods or other times. :rolleyes:

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Flibster said:
Last thing I heard is that Michelin could be banned from Motorsport....

Or the cars could be ruled unsafe by the stewards as they had Michelin tyres and as such could not take part in any GP where that happened...

Strangely - not one question was asked after Bridgestones failures after safety car periods or other times. :rolleyes:

Simon/~Flibster

Brdigestones tyre failures never led to even a 20 car race forget about a 6 car race.

Anyway, if anyone is feeling bored waiting for the exact outcome from Paris...u might want to read this

Back
Top Bottom