else {
    let off in gesture of forgiveness
  }
}

Man of Honour
OP
Right then...

www.pitpass.com *very very slow atm...* said:
The seven teams that opted to withdraw from the United States Grand Prix have been found guilty on two charges of bringing the sport into disrepute. However, all seven teams were found not guilty of the other three charges.

The penalty will be decided on September 14, after the Belgian Grand Prix.

Both Max Mosley and the seven teams will be holding (separate) press conferences this afternoon.

More to follow.

Soldato
BBC News said:

Governing body the FIA will not decide their penalty until 14 September.

It said the delay was to allow it to assess what efforts had been made to compensate the fans at the race and to repair the image of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and F1 itself.

Man of Honour
OP
Ok...FIA's webble site is deadded...pitpass forums are deadded... :eek:

So - my thoughts...

The FIA are going to try to make the teams sweat.
Also - I think it was a safety measure - if they punished one team badly I suspect that the others would have stepped in.

However - being found guilty of disripute is possibly the worst one they could have been found guilty of. They could be banned from F1 for life.

Man of Honour
OP
Oh..the full list of charges were:

• Failed to ensure that you had a supply of suitable tyres for the race and/or
  • Wrongfully refused to allow your cars to start the race and/or
  • Wrongfully refused to allow your cars to race, subject to a speed restriction in one corner, which was safe for such tyres as you had available and/or
  • Combined with other teams, to make a demonstration damaging to the image of Formula One by pulling into the pits immediately before the start of the race

The second one is what they've been found guilty on...which is the odd one tbh...

The only other thing I'd say is they didn't give the teams much time to explain themselves - the team representatives were called in to the hearing at 10min intervals.

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
So the next 7 races or so are pretty much pointless, why should we watch such a joke?
I seriously hope Max is struck down with some sort of crippling illness, it is the only way that F1 could be rid of him. He's dragging this supposed "sport" into the ground and nobody is even attempting to stop him.
To be honest, this is the most weak and gutless decision that I have seen in recent times. Almost like a, well we'll see if Ferrari can win through merit, if not then bye bye Michelin teams... (that was a joke, but don't be surprised if it happens)

They are either guilty or not, and there has been time to get a suitable penalty worked out. Doing it like this is pretty much the FIA giving all the fans a kick in the testicles.

Man of Honour
OP
Upate from www.pitpass.com

www.pitpass.com said:
Teams found guilty on two counts
29/06/2005

The seven teams that opted to withdraw from the United States Grand Prix have been found guilty on two charges of bringing the sport into disrepute.

However, all seven teams were found not guilty of the other three charges.

The seven teams were found guilty of "failing to ensure they were in possession of suitable tyres" for the United States Grand Prix, but with "strong mitigating circumstances".

The penalty will be decided on September 14, after the Belgian Grand Prix.

Speaking following today's hearing, FIA president, Max Mosley, said: "The World Motor Sport Council has decided to adjourn discussion of penalty to an extraordinary meeting, when it will be seen what steps have been taken to compensate the fans, and also what steps have been taken by the Michelin teams to make sure nothing like this ever happens again. The final decision will then be made after that."

Mosley revealed that the FIA is unable to "punish" Michelin, because it is merely a (tyre) supplier to F1 and not a competitor

"The difficulty is the FIA has no relationship with the Michelin tyre company, so we are in no position to impose a penalty in Michelin," he said. "Judging from what we heard from the teams they would have found themselves in a very difficult position."

The seven teams will be holding their own press conferences this afternoon.

More to follow.

Man of Honour
OP
So....

The FIA cannot punish Michelin..so they're going to punish the teams instead....

Hmmm...thats like the police saying we can't catch the criminals so we're going to arrest the people they robbed instead.. :rolleyes:

I'm very surprised they haven't kicked any of the teams around today. However I feel that if the season continues as it has been *IE McLaren/Renault with Toyota in 3rd* then there will be some severe punishment coming...

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
So what are we left with?
Fans and teams unsure what is going on, fans severely unimpressed, fans questioning the point in the next 7 races, fans hating the FIA...
Hmm, good one Mosely, I didn't think you could do it, but you proved me wrong. You've officially managed to ruin F1 completely, genius!

Man of Honour
OP
There's more...

www.pitpass.com *again..I know - but it's a great site. :D* said:
Much as we hate to rain on the parade, it would be folly to believe that the issue is settled, far from it.

The team principals of the seven teams, together with Minardi's Paul Stoddart, will meet in a Paris hotel at 17:00 (local time) to discuss the options, following which a statement will be issued.

A spokesperson has told Pitpass that it is "not looking good".

The teams are unhappy at being found guilty of any charges, and consequently there could still be action. Furthermore, the teams are unhappy that the penalty will not be known until after the end of the European season.

Asked if this weekend's French GP is safe, the spokesperson said; "I don't know, but there are a lot of unhappy people here."

Man of Honour
OP
www.pitpass.com said:
No extra punishment for BAR
29/06/2005

Contrary to reports elsewhere, BAR is not likely to face extra punishment - for withdrawing from the United States Grand Prix - because it was already 'on probation'.

As previously claimed here on Pitpass, this was never likely as the United States charge is entirely different to the circumstances surrounding the previous transgression.

Speaking at a press conference following today's announcement, FIA president, Max Mosley, said: "The suspended ban was for a reason and as long as they did not transgress in a similar area then it would not be a problem.

"It would be unfair to single them out when the others had a problem," he added.

Max taking a sensible attitude this time? :eek: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom