2006 Australian Grand Prix - Race 3/18

Associate
Alibaba99 said:
Its very difficult to replicate a distributed load on a test rig, especially one that exactly matches the aerodynamic loads acting on the wing.

Last time I did a load test we used bags of sand layed out on top of the wing, a bit rough and ready but it gave us an idea at least. It did creak a bit when we had 800 kilo on it though.

Associate
I've never liked WhineToya much tbh. Most other drivers are generally politically correct etc but he just spits his dummy out far too much. I recon its Torro Rosso for him next year ;)

I'm a big Schuey fan and I wish he had finshed when he won his 7th title. I think it was greed which kept him going and its not working at all. A combination of crap tyres and the other teams overtaking Ferrari's car has put paid to his chances and I can't see it improving much this year.

JV is only there for cash. He must have known he had bob hopes chance of getting another world title/race wins.

If you even half believe the 'News Of the World' they recon Alonso's deal is worth 84 million - lol. If he is being paid anywhere near that money then I can't see them being able to keep Kimi aswell. I would also question if Kimi would want a straight car on car fight with Alonso. His luck tends to dictate his car would be made of paper and Alonso's would be a tank :p If Kimi goes to Ferrari it will be for boat loads of cash or on the 'I will bring winning ways back again :) dream'

Unless Ferrari get a lap head start I can't see atm why Renault think they will win at Imola.

Unless Alonso starts having some bad luck I think its 2nd world title in a row for him.

Man of Honour
OP
FIA's 22 teams nearly cracked

The sleuth-like F1 media has just about cracked the FIA's mysterious entry list featuring no fewer than twenty two teams for 2008.

While the current eleven paddock players have undoubtedly signed-up, most observers expressed surprise that eleven others had vowed to commit themselves to the sport should their initial entry be accepted.

It has already been revealed that David Richards, Paul Stoddart, Eddie Jordan and Direxiv make up four of the furtive eleven.

Now, it is understood that GP2 teams 'Racing Engineering' and 'BCN Competicion' - both Spanish outfits - are almost certainly on the list, while Eddie Irvine's prospective Roustam Tariko-funded squad is another likely player, as is Craig Pollock.

Another GP2 leader, ART - run by Jean Todt's son Nicolas - is a favourite, along with the once-touted Dubai team, Trevor Carlin's company, and Piquet Sports.

Also heard about another airline...

Gut feeling is either Branson or Lauda

Man of Honour
OP
Irvine a no-show?

Our spies tell us that contrary to media speculation, Eddie Irvine is not one of the twenty-two prospective entrants for the 2008 World Championship.

Although the identities of all 22 prospective entrants are known only by the FIA, our sources tell us that Eddie Irvine is not amongst them.

Previously, with backing from a Russian consortium, Irvine has tried to enter F1 as a team owner, most notable when he sought to purchase Minardi last year, only to lose out to Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz.

That said, we also hear that Eddie Jordan's entry is not quite what it seems.

Man of Honour
OP
GP Masters announces Qatar entry list

The Grand Prix Masters World Series has announced the provisional driver entry list for the opening round at Qatar's Losail International Raceway on 29th April.

In addition to the legendary names that graced the inaugural race event last November at Kyalami (South Africa), the series is delighted to announce the involvement of ex-Formula One racers Pierluigi Martini (Italian), Eric van de Poele (Belgium) and Alex Caffi (Italian) who will assume the role of Official Test & Safety Car driver for the series.

With less than four weeks remaining between now and the season-opener at the state-of-the-art Losail International Raceway, the organisers are busy undertaking testing and preparation work for the field of 15 race cars that will contest the first four-wheeled motor race ever held in Qatar. Ahead of the move to a brand new purpose-designed facility, the Grand Prix Masters World Series is making temporary shared use of a facility at Silverstone (Northamptonshire, UK) and it was from there that last week's nine car shakedown was successfully undertaken by the three new driver signings.

Bob Berridge, Head of Race Operations: "It's been an extremely busy time for us recently as we continue to push hard in preparation for our season opener in Qatar. Signing new drivers, new sponsors, new personnel and preparing for our up-and-coming move to a new facility are just a few examples of the behind-the-scenes activity we have all been preoccupied with recently. The most important thing right now, however, is the pre-event testing programme and I am delighted to report a successful two-day test undertaken at Silverstone at the end of last week. Our three new driver signings shared between them a total of nine cars and between them accumulated around 500 miles of trouble-free mileage. It's been quite a while since Martini, van de Poele and Caffi hung up their F1 boots and to see them blasting around Silverstone last week in Grand Prix cars was quite something, especially considering how on the pace they were! They were all lapping within a few tenths of each other thereby reminding us yet again of how little raw speed any of our Masters have lost since their glory days in the sport. We will be undertaking more testing this week with six more chassis'."

Alex Caffi (Italy): "I actually tested for Grand Prix Masters last October at the first Silverstone test but I am too young to be eligible to race given the 45-years age limit. Too old, yes, but I never believed I'd see a day when I was considered 'too young' to race! Anyway, they say life begins at 40 right and here I am! I am delighted to be assuming testing duties alongside some of the greatest names in motorsport.I believe immensely in this series and the golden history of Grand Prix racing that it represents and did so well to re-create in Kyalami last year. I have now accumulated considerable test mileage in these cars and I cannot tell you how much fun they are to drive! The speed and grip on offer are on par with what many of these Masters won their world championships with and from speaking to my fellow drivers in the series, everyone is besotted by the machinery Grand Prix Masters have produced. All I have to now do is age by one more year before being in a position to race the machinery that I am so proud to test and develop for this outstanding new series."

Pierluigi Martini (Italy): "The Grand Prix Masters car is better than the last Formula One car I drove back in the mid 1990s! Last week at Silverstone was my first-ever outing in what many other drivers have described to me as a sensational racing car - and they're not wrong! I achieved around 60 laps in total but it was certainly enough to have me hooked and signed-up to the series. I have raced against many of these guys in the past including Mansell, Fittipaldi, Patrese and DeCesaris to name but a few and the camaraderie and team spirit amongst us all is ultimately the defining difference between Grand Prix Masters and anything else in motorsport. The rivalry and desire to beat each other, however, will be no different to yester-year, if not even greater this time round!"

Eric van de Poele (Belgium): "Signing up for the Grand Prix Masters World Series is the big present in life I never expected! I left Formula One in 1992 and while there were many other race series to keep busy with, nothing was ever as satisfying or as exhilarating as top level single seater racing. After leaving the sport, I tried my hand at sports car racing in North America and alongside Fermin Velez, we took Ferrari to victory at the 1995 12-hour endurance race at Sebring. I now run my own business in Belgium and never ever expected to find myself sitting in a 600bhp Grand Prix car like I was at Silverstone last week. My fellow countrymen will be more surprised than I am! Apart from the fabulous cars we have, the biggest incentive for me was the opportunity to work with and drive alongside these guys in what is a refreshing environment. Our series is not a technology war, political war or spending war as we see in F1 right now. We are therefore under no pressure apart from what we put onto ourselves. It is this personality-driven team spirit which the fans loved so much in Kyalami last year and what we hope to re-create at the fantastic circuits we will be gracing over the course of this year."

1. Rene Arnoux (France)
2. Eddie Cheever (USA)
3. Christian Danner (Germany)
4. Andrea de Cesaris (Italy)
5. Emerson Fittipaldi (Brazil)
6. Stefan Johansson (Sweden)
7. Jan Lammers (Netherlands)
8. Nigel Mansell (Britain)
9. Pierluigi Martini (Italy)
10. Eliseo Salazar (Chile)
11. Hans Stuck (Germany)
12. Riccardo Patrese (Italy)
13. Patrick Tambay (France)
14. Eric van de Poele (Belgium)
15. Derek Warwick (Britain)

Alex Caffi (Italy) Official Test and Safety Car driver

Man of Honour
OP
Toro Rosso's Speed, Red Bull's Coulthard Nearly Came to Blows

Scott Speed and David Coulthard nearly came to blows during their meeting with the stewards at Albert Park, it has been revealed.

Paul Gutjahr, an FIA representative who was present in the stewards' room, told the Swiss 'Blick' newspaper that as Toro Rosso's Californian rookie said '**** you!' to Coulthard, a fist fight 'nearly' broke out.

''Luckily, the Scot (Coulthard, 34), held himself back,'' said Gutjahr.

If not acceptable, 23-year-old Speed's reaction was perhaps understandable. He had just told the media that driving into parc ferme with a maiden point had been the 'most emotional experience of my life'.

''My whole team was on the fence cheering like I won the race,'' he enthused.

''It was like a victory.''

The affair has been a PR calamity for the energy drink company, with billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz owning both Toro Rosso and Coulthard's senior team.

''Just to make one point clear,'' read a Red Bull Racing document, ''Red Bull Racing did not lodge a protest against Scott Speed.

''The Stewards had reached their own decision about his passing move (under yellow flags) on Coulthard.''

A Toro Rosso released added: ''As you can imagine, relations between the two teams was to say the least a bit strained.''

:D

"a bit strained." Thats a nice way of putting it.

Man of Honour
OP
Rossi taunts Alonso refusal

MotoGP dominator Valentino Rossi is apparently not tiring of his press feud with F1 counterpart Fernando Alonso.

The pair have been at loggerheads recently about whether Rossi, 26, would succeed if he ever switched to the four-wheeled race category.

Reigning champion Alonso, of Spain, turned down Rossi's challenge to go head-to-head in a motor racing showdown to settle the question of who is the quickest driver.

Italy's Rossi doubted Alonso's claim that his schedule is just too busy.

"Maybe Alonso has made some calculations and realised he would lose," he told Motorcycle News.

Rossi also reckons Alonso would be at least 12 seconds slower than him on a 260hp GP bike.

Soldato
Same here, I feel the same way.

Why would Alonso want to do some silly challenge anyway. He is the reigning F1 world champ and got a lot of work to do, in trying to keep the championship in his hands. I believe that his schedule is too pact for him to carry out any challenge anyway.

If Rossi, is soo good in an F1 car and fancies his chances and keeps challenging Alonso, why hasnt he turned professional and come into F1 sooner? I would have thought he would have got more money with him being an F1 driver at a top team and would be publically better known, got more press coverage etc.

Its just school boys stuff. Rossi just needs to stay on his Bike and do his thing, whilst Alonso does his. If he wants to see whos better, make the change over to F1 and we will all see how he performs in a race with other cars around him... untill he thinks of doing that, I think he just needs to stop moaning about some petty challenge and get on with his work.

Man of Honour
OP
Kimi Gets Drive Or $5m From Ferrari

No matter where his future lies, Kimi Raikkonen will be a winner in 2007.

It is reported by the 'sport1.de' publication that McLaren's Finn has already signed an agreement with Ferrari regarding next year's formula one championship.

In the contract, reportedly, is a $5 million clause, guaranteeing the 26-year-old either Michael Schumacher's number one seat, or the tasty payout of 5 million dollars.

Man of Honour
OP
Horner: engine decision proved right

Christian Horner has said he was never too worried about taking a gamble on David Coulthard's engine at the Australian Grand Prix after the Scotsman grab his 500th point in Formula One.

Although Coulthard had retired from the Malaysian Grand Prix, Red Bull Racing opted not to fit a new engine to his car in Melbourne because they wanted to be able to run an updated version of the Ferrari V8 as soon as it is ready for Imola.

The spate of piston problems that Ferrari have suffered from with their V8 made the engine decision a slight gamble, but Horner is well aware that Coulthard's points-scoring finish in Australia more than justified the plan.

"I think it was the right decision to make," explained Horner. "The engine got to the end of the race, and we are looking forward to putting a new engine in the car at Imola and hopefully seeing more performance.

"Because he did very few miles in Malaysia it wasn't really that hard a decision to take. He is obviously in the right sequence for the next race at Imola, so I think it was the right call to have made."

Soldato
Flibster said:
Kimi Gets Drive Or $5m From Ferrari

No matter where his future lies, Kimi Raikkonen will be a winner in 2007.

It is reported by the 'sport1.de' publication that McLaren's Finn has already signed an agreement with Ferrari regarding next year's formula one championship.

In the contract, reportedly, is a $5 million clause, guaranteeing the 26-year-old either Michael Schumacher's number one seat, or the tasty payout of 5 million dollars.

Hm, I wonder if this is true. Maybe Schummy has decided to leave Ferrari afterall, he might retire or go to another team, but would that other team have the money to sign him though?

I dont want to think this way, but I think Kimi is going from McLaren :( Sigining Alonso, apparently on a £84m contract for 3 years, how can McLaren also afford to keep Kimi aswell in the same team on a expensive contract. I hope they do but they might be just switching Kimi with Alonso.

However I do feel that, Ron Dennis would want to win Kimi's first world championship with him at McLaren. I really hope that McLaren keep hold of Kimi and they have 2 world class drivers in the team.

I got a little feeling that Button might just go to Ferrari as the number 1 driver, to replace Schummy's shoes. Cant see Button staying with Honda that much longer.

So this clause of some sorts, means if Kimi doesnt get Schummy's number 1 spot in the team, he gets $5m, but he has to join the team anyway. I say dont join the team and get the $5m anyway, hehehe :p Not like he doesnt need it anyway :p

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Bennah said:
Hm, I wonder if this is true. Maybe Schummy has decided to leave Ferrari afterall, he might retire or go to another team, but would that other team have the money to sign him though?

I dont want to think this way, but I think Kimi is going from McLaren :( Sigining Alonso, apparently on a £84m contract for 3 years, how can McLaren also afford to keep Kimi aswell in the same team on a expensive contract. I hope they do but they might be just switching Kimi with Alonso.

However I do feel that, Ron Dennis would want to win Kimi's first world championship with him at McLaren. I really hope that McLaren keep hold of Kimi and they have 2 world class drivers in the team.

I got a little feeling that Button might just go to Ferrari as the number 1 driver, to replace Schummy's shoes. Cant see Button staying with Honda that much longer.

So this clause of some sorts, means if Kimi doesnt get Schummy's number 1 spot in the team, he gets $5m, but he has to join the team anyway. I say dont join the team and get the $5m anyway, hehehe :p Not like he doesnt need it anyway :p

I would have a guess at Michael leaving Ferrari and going to another team for 1 more year before retireing.
From interveiws ive seen of him lately its almost clear he hates his new car and isnt getting along with ferrari at all.
The reason i say he will go to another tteam is to see if he can become champion one more time and get back at ferrari crap car for this year

Soldato
The only teams that have a Championship winning car are Renault and McLaren, if Ferrari get things sorted with thier pace and tyre's they will become a factor too. Cant see Schummy going to Renault or McLaren atall.

I think with him winning everything with Ferrari, he will retire his wonderfull career with Ferrari...

Man of Honour
OP
Oz track removes Schu bump

Michael Schumacher's words seem to have a lot of influence when it comes to organisers of the Australian Grand Prix.

After understeering at the final corner at Albert Park last Sunday, the German was in the process of recovering his Ferrari when he struck a concrete gap in the grass verge and hit the wall.

He told German television: ''I have to wonder why (the bump) needs to be there.''

According to the local Herald Sun newspaper, road workers will take to the concrete patch with jackhammers this week.

Juan Pablo Montoya also came unstuck over the bump, and former Champion Mika Hakkinen once shunted at the same spot, as did Schumacher a few years ago.

Man of Honour
OP
Rosberg told to qualify quicker

Following his Albert Park exit, Williams' Nico Rosberg has been told to up his qualifying pace in order to avoid race shunts.

The rookie German was sensationalised shortly after making his 2006 debut, but departed round three in Australia at the very first corner after qualifying a vapid 15th.

Rosberg, 20, who collided with Ferrari's Felipe Massa, retired in Australia with damage to the rear of his FW28.

''It wasn't his fault,'' technical director Sam Michael told Speed TV, ''but the main thing is not to be there (at the back) in the first place.

''You have to make sure you qualify higher, and then you won't be in the mess.''

Ferrari boss Jean Todt was also quick to leap to his own driver's defence, after Massa had joined Rosberg near the rear of the grid after crashing in qualifying.

''He is a very talented driver, very good driver,'' the Frenchman told reporters, ''and I'm sure time will allow people to see that.''

Back
Top Bottom