2006 Bahrain Grand Prix - Race 1/18

Soldato
evulboo said:
Hey guys, 1st off awsome posting Simon bloody nice work been following your posts for some time now :)

Im a McLaren fan and bloody hell kimi did a great job :) real pleased for him.

My question is was McLaren running the car detuned? i think i remember reading about they had something like 60hp missing? was that confirmed? If so surely they have got the fastest car as kimi lap times wasn't far off

hmmm.... I seem to remember something about that as well

Simon??? ;)...... get that underground network of secret agents going :p

Man of Honour
OP
evulboo said:
Hey guys, 1st off awsome posting Simon bloody nice work been following your posts for some time now :)

Im a McLaren fan and bloody hell kimi did a great job :) real pleased for him.

My question is was McLaren running the car detuned? i think i remember reading about they had something like 60hp missing? was that confirmed? If so surely they have got the fastest car as kimi lap times wasn't far off

Cheers. :D

McLaren during the race were running the full power of the engine as far as I am aware - they may have turned the fueling and revs down a bit as they have another tough race this weekend *mental note - start on new thread tomorrow... :eek:*

They ran the detuned engine in the freee practice sessions as it's still not the most reliable engine in F1.

They aren't the most powerfull engine in F1 anyway - they give away something around 20bhp to the Cosworth which is the most powerful at the moment with around 750bhp.

Kimi was something special this weekend - didn't see much of him but he did the job - probably did the best he could as well - couldn't really see him getting any higher without failures. He was also lucky that certain other drivers had issues. He did get held up quite a lot by Villeneuve though - although BMW seem to be continuing where they left off - BBQ time...

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Richard T said:
Simon??? ;)...... get that underground network of secret agents going :p

[MrBurnsMode]
Fly my pretties...Fly!!
[/MrBurnsMode]

mr_burns.gif

Soldato
Dutch Guy said:
Why, he is just a passionate driver and needed to let off steam and seeing the apology from Renault he was right.

Passionate or not he's a professional race driver and should have known that he could have been 'on air' and that sort of thing does nothing to help! I think martin said that during the commentary

Man of Honour
OP
McLaren to investigate Montoya's problems

McLaren will begin investigations this week in a bid to get on top of the minor engine problems that marred Juan Pablo Montoya's Bahrain Grand Prix weekend.

The Colombian suffered from engine mapping issues that left him down on power compared to teammate Kimi Raikkonen when the engine was in certain modes - and that played a part in his disappointing start to the campaign.

McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh has said the team are hoping that they get time this week to track down the problem and resolve it before the action gets underway in Malaysia on Friday.

"I think we had some issues over the weekend with Montoya's engine," explained Whitmarsh.

"We have a number of different modes of operation with the engine. We have economy, super economy and full mode and certainly in the lesser modes of control there was something in the engine that we were trying to track down all weekend that gave him a slight element of disadvantage.

"It's the same engine this weekend but we have got a bit more time to study it now. We cannot change the mechanics of the engine but we are allowed to change the software and the mapping.

"With a bit of detailed analysis maybe we can find something there to give him more confidence in the operating regimes of the engine."

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Richard T said:
Passionate or not he's a professional race driver and should have known that he could have been 'on air' and that sort of thing does nothing to help! I think martin said that during the commentary

Maybe it did help him. I know that whenever I've done anything on a track I find that ranting about an injustice gets me calmed back down quicker than biting my tongue and stewing.

Man of Honour
V8s will sound rough at that sort of rpm, inherently they're not as well balanced as V10s - no idea why, just something I read somewhere...

No idea why it would get better towards 19k but it may be to do with the airbox geometry, apparantly the teams have had to do a lot of work controlling the shockwaves within the airbox and inlet system to try and reduce the vibrations of the new engines.

Soldato
rpstewart said:
V8s will sound rough at that sort of rpm, inherently they're not as well balanced as V10s - no idea why, just something I read somewhere...

No idea why it would get better towards 19k but it may be to do with the airbox geometry, apparantly the teams have had to do a lot of work controlling the shockwaves within the airbox and inlet system to try and reduce the vibrations of the new engines.
I could be wrong about the revs as I noticed it from onboard shots with the rpm meter on screen (which might be inaccurate)

The engine sounds fine (not as nice as a V10) up to ~18,000rpm when it sounded a little different for a very short period, then it sounded fine again until they changed gear at ~19,000rpm

Perhaps it was the onboard shot/audio that messed up somehow and the sound isn't really there.

Soldato
rpstewart said:

Seem to remember the v10's having a bad vibration in the rev range only it was a lot lower

Soldato
yup, v10s also had a bad vibration range from around 12-14k RPM, with V8's it higher in the rev range, between 16-18k, therefore the vibration lasts longer and is more noticeable as the engine spends longer between these two points. it was one of the biggest challenges for the car designers this year - to stop the car shaking itself to bits.
Mario Thiessen said:
Indeed, mechanical dynamics and vibrations represent a particularly critical area of development for the new generation of Formula One engines. The V8 units have different firing sequences and intervals from their V10 predecessors, which leads to a totally different situation in terms of vibrations. The V10 entered a critical area in terms of vibrations between 12,000 rpm and 14,000 rpm. However, this was not an issue as the engine did not spend much time in this rev band and smoothed itself out again once the driver stepped up the revs. And, since that was where it spent the majority of its time, vibrations were not a worry. A V8, on the other hand, is not so well off. Its vibration curve enters critical territory later than the V10 – from approximately 16,000 rpm – and continues to climb from there. It is therefore no longer possible to think in terms of getting through a difficult patch and everything will be all right. Now, the problem of constantly increasing vibrations has to be confronted head on.

Soldato
Features: Race Features

What The Papers Say
Monday March 13 2006

'Jenson Button arrived at the Bahrain Grand Prix intent on taking his maiden victory in 100 attempts but his quest spluttered and failed within ten seconds of the lights going out yesterday. A fault, diagnosed as an "oscillating clutch", had bogged down his start and he was helpless as cars rushed past him towards the first corner. It was no more than a momentary glitch in his £1 million Honda, but it was the difference between success and another grand prix that passed without a sniff of victory.

'If only Button could have engaged battle with the two leaders. He is reaching his peak, underlined when he swept past Juan Pablo Montoya's McLaren twice to show the supposedly most combative driver in Formula One that he, too, knows how to overtake. His drive was faultless but from too far back to count.

'Yet the pace of his Honda demonstrated that this is a mouthwatering season in prospect. With Alonso, Schumacher and Räikkönen, Button is a contender and there are still more drivers who could impress. None more than Nico Rosberg...a star in the making' - Kevin Eason, The Times.

'This was a race Button expected to win.

'That Button was able to demonstrate pace equal to the pre-race hype and the cars in front, and brilliant judgment to twice pass the king of overtaking, Juan Pablo Montoya, compounded the frustration. Mistakes are simply too costly in this company.

'While Honda wrung hands, their principal rivals rejoiced in an afternoon of remarkable entertainment. If the season continues as it started, F1 will have no trouble pulling in the crowds. Alonso mesmerised in his flawless pursuit of Schumacher, which ended when he parked his rear wing on the Ferrari's front end as he exited the pits for a second time.

'Raikkonen's signature carve through the field, 13 places in five breathless laps, demonstrated that none is as adept at the knife-through-butter act at 200mph-plus. Nico Rosberg sprinkled stardust over the circuit on debut, setting the fastest lap and ending his first race in the points.

'The major stakeholders in F1 have spent an age wrangling over the future of the sport. This race convinced the only constituency that really matters, the fans, that the future is bright.

'Alonso was the leading actor in Bahrain, but you would not put your mortgage on a repeat in Malaysia on Sunday. Schumacher, Raikkonen and Button are all capable of hitting the front and staying there - Kevin Garside, The Daily Telegraph.

'This was a superb race with wheel-to-wheel battles raging right down the field.

'The German had been slightly handicapped by losing one lap's top-up fuel credit in qualifying after one of his laps was outside 110% of his pole-winning time, reducing by one the number of laps he could run up to his first refuelling stop. This new rule might just have been enough to cost him victory.

'The defining moment came on lap 36 of the 57-lap race when Schumacher ducked into the pits for his second refuelling stop. The Ferrari was stationary for only 8.8sec, resuming third behind Alonso and Jenson Button's Honda. For the next three laps Alonso piled on the pressure before coming in for his own second stop in 7.7sec' - Alan Henry, The Daily Telegraph.

'If Bernie Ecclestone was into writing screenplays, he could hardly have bettered this one.

'This was motor racing in the grand manner, mano a mano, as we used to see with Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost, two top sportsmen at the height of their game. It was also as gentlemanly as these things can ever be.

'If this was a preview of what we can expect for the rest of the year - with a four-way fight between Renault, Ferrari, McLaren and Honda - F1 fans are in for a roller-coaster season' - David Tremayne, The Independent.

Associate
This is last round of pictures, unfortunately I can't make it to Sepang, Malaysia or any or the other GP's as I'm going to be in bahrain till October. But I have got time off in June for the World Cup as I have tickets for all of Englands group games, semi final and final when England get there and win the world cup!! :D so expect some pictures then.
DSC_0049.jpg
DSC_0070.jpg
DSC_0081.jpg
DSC_0089.jpg

Back
Top Bottom