6	Williams-Cosworth 	10 	
7	Toyota 			7 	
8	RBR-Ferrari 		2
Click here for a more in depth view of the Constructors Championship

Man of Honour
OP
Video preview of the race

Click the map below for the video.

It's an 11mb WMV file - not great but certainly watchable.

Video: WMV9 @ 320x240 @ 25fps @ 448kbps
Audio: 44.1khz Stereo @ 64kbps

Soldato
This should be a good race, at least i hope it will be. Qualifying could be interesting.

Apparantely ive been told Ferrari are running some uber soft rubber for this track, good for grip, but i dont know how well the tyres will last.

Man of Honour
OP
Bernie takes on GPMA

Just days after it was confirmed that Bernie Ecclestone has signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the five manufacturers that comprise the Grand Prix Manufacturers' Association, it has been revealed that the Englishman's intellectual property division had already filed opposition to the GPMA name.

It is understood that FOM's intellectual property division went to the European trademark authorities citing "detriment to distinctiveness or repute".

Ecclestone is fiercely protective of various words and phrases associated with Formula One, and over the years the Englishman, and his lawyers, have waged war on anyone perceived to be infringing his trademarks. Grand Prix Masters and A1 Grand Prix are just two of the organizations that have found themselves under attack, even though it is widely agreed that Ecclestone has no right to claim the term 'Grand Prix' which is not exclusive to Formula One or indeed motorsport.

Man of Honour
OP
Paris prepares for Grand Prix celebration

The Federation Française du Sport Automobile will be organising an exceptional historic Grand Prix car exhibition to honour 100 years of Grand Prix racing in France. Rendezvous this June 3-4, at the base of the Avenue Champs-Elysées to experience this once in a lifetime event.

This unique exhibition will feature historic cars demonstrating 100 years of Grand Prix racing evolution from it's creation in France in 1906 to the last Formula 1 season. Open from Saturday morning until Sunday evening, the Grand Prix car display will feature such famous cars as the Darac 1906, Bugatti, and Renault. There will be Formula One animations, Grand Prix de France information team, 2006 Formula One show cars, and circuit marshals on site to explain the sport.

Sunday at 11:00, Parisians can discover the excitement of these same Grand Prix cars driving in the heart of Paris. Following closely behind a pace car, these historic cars will parade over 9 kms through the city centre driving past the most famous monuments in Paris; Les Champs l'Elysées, Trocadéro, Tour Eiffel, Champs de Mars, Invalides, l'Assemblée National, and la Place de la Concorde

"What better way to bring the show to the public then to give them the sounds and sensations of Grand Prix cars on the streets of the nation's capital. The public will experience 100 years of race engine development," stated Jacques Regis, President of the Federation Française du Sport Automobile.

"Through this exhibition we hope to illustrate the history and the evolution of Grand Prix automobile racing," Regis continued, "And honour the manufacturers involved in automobile racing past and present."

Discounting the 11 Indianapolis events between 1950 and 1960, which counted towards the Formula One World Championship, even though there was no significant F1 involvement, this year's French Grand Prix is the 750th Formula One World Championship race.

Man of Honour
OP
Hamilton would 'love' Alonso challenge

GP2 front-runner Lewis Hamilton has said he would not be fazed by lining up alongside Fernando Alonso at McLaren next year if he is given the chance.

Hamilton's performances this year in GP2, especially his double victory at the Nurburgring, have propelled him into contention to land the second seat at McLaren next year.

His career is overlooked by McLaren boss Ron Dennis and the team have admitted that it would not be impossible for them to promote the youngster into their outfit for 2007 if Kimi Raikkonen leaves.

Speaking to The Guardian on Tuesday, Hamilton said that he would be ready for the challenge of being Fernando Alonso's teammate next year, although he thinks it more likely that he will be loaned out to another outfit.

"If Kimi's smart he'll stay at McLaren," said Hamilton, "(although)...it gives me a much better chance if he does go.

"But look at Alonso. He started at Minardi, so I expect to do something like that [being loaned out]. But if I end up alongside Alonso it definitely would not intimidate me.

"I've never had a teammate who's beaten me over the course of a season. So I would love that challenge."

Man of Honour
OP
Newey input to hit Red Bull at Silverstone

Adrian Newey's first major contribution to the 2006 Red Bull racer will be unveiled at the British grand prix next month.

The highly-lauded former technical director of McLaren has reportedly put together an aerodynamic bodywork update for the 'RB2' car, which will be ready to race around the Silverstone circuit.

Man of Honour
OP
F1 stuck with engine 'freeze', Flav insists

Unhappy carmakers are going to be stuck with the engine 'freeze' rule, according to Flavio Briatore.

The Renault principal, who is believed to have actually authored the three-year homologation idea and is backed by Ferrari, predictably did not join the recent vote to axe the '08 regime.

''There is potential for a drastic reduction of costs on the engine side,'' he said this week. ''What people don't seem to realise is that time is running out.''

Italy's Briatore expressed frustration that the issue of technical regulations for 2008, one of the final hurdles to a new Concorde Agreement, cannot yet be settled, despite the fact that any change now requires near-impossible unanimity.

He said: ''We talk and talk, but the 2008 rules are already done. ''We have one month to sort out the technical situation.''

Man of Honour
OP
Abramovich linked with Moscow GP deal

According to reports, Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich is close to securing a deal which would see Moscow host a round of the Formula One World Championship.

Abramovich, who owns Chelsea football club, has had "meaningful discussions" with Moscow mayor, Yuri Luzhkov, and it is understood that the possibility of the Russian city hosting a Grand Prix is more likely than at any time before.

According to reports, Abramovich is prepared to finance the construction of the track, which would be located on the outskirts of Moscow, close to the airport.

There has been talk of a Moscow Grand Prix for some time, with (former Arrows boss) Tom Walkinshaw involved in an ill-fated project several years ago. With Abramovich, a close friend of Bernie Ecclestone, on board, it appears that progress is finally being made.

Man of Honour
OP
Hill: Ecclestone's driver criticism unfair

Former World Champion Damon Hill believes it was unfair of Bernie Ecclestone to criticise Formula One's leading drivers for not putting more back into the sport.

Ecclestone caused a stir earlier this month when he claimed that drivers and teams needed to give more back to the fans. He singled out World Champion Fernando Alonso as the classic example of a champion who was not doing his best for the sport.

Speaking to British television channel ITV, Ecclestone said: "We have a World Champion now, Fernando, who doesn't do too much."

Hill believes that such criticism is unwarranted - and that the entire sport has to take some responsibility for a situation where F1 is criticised for not being fan-friendly enough.

"I think it's very easy to point the finger at the drivers, but I think the nature of the sport is partly to blame," said Hill, who won the World Championship in 1996.

"The sport has become quantifiably more professional - the requirements to be a racing driver are hugely greater now then they were.

"It's more akin to football now, but if you're on the football field, you can display your talents and you can engage with the fans immediately.

"It is a factor that needs addressing and it will have an effect on the way the sport communicates itself. But I think that it's too simplistic to say that the drivers don't put enough back.

"They do what they are told to do, which is concentrate on the job and drive. And it's very difficult to find time to do anything other than testing."

Hill does admit, however, that the interaction between drivers and the fans is vital for the health of Formula One – and indeed provides a key element for any sport.

As a former star, and in his new role as president of the British Racing Drivers' Club, Hill is more than well qualified to talk about the importance that spectators play in making F1 a success.

Speaking about racing in front of a supportive crowd, Hill said: "It is not quite like tennis or football where you are immediately exposed to the rawness of the crowd, but when I was racing and when Nigel (Mansell) was there, it is very obvious when you are in the cockpit you can see the reaction from the crowd.

"It is a very fast Mexican wave that goes around the track as people get their things out and start waving. And if the guy in front is pulling away from you then they start waving and you think, 'oh I better start going faster.'

"You do get a feedback from the crowd, and the crowd reaction is another essential part of the thrill of performing as a sportsman. If there isn't a mass of people there who are emotionally involved in an event then I don't know if it would be as stimulating to do it. That is key and fundamental to the reasons for sport existing."

Hill's belief that the entire sport needs to look to itself for the answers on how to improve the show come on the back of comments from McLaren boss Ron Dennis that the fun needed to be put back in F1.

"It's important that we think about humanising F1 and encouraging fun back into the sport," said Dennis. "We have to keep Formula One's mystique of course, but the drivers need to be more known."

Those comments did not go down well with Ecclestone, however, who claimed that Dennis was one of the men who had done the least to help improve F1's image.

"I'm concerned with Ron and his statements because he's the last person to do any of those things," said Ecclestone in the ITV interview.

"You can't get his drivers to talk to anybody and they never participate in anything.

"It would be great if he started doing what he's saying we should be doing. I think what he's saying (is what) everybody else should be doing except McLaren. Hopefully the teams and drivers will realise they have to give a little bit more back to the sport."

Man of Honour
OP
British GP bosses want July date for 2007

British Grand Prix bosses have asked Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone if they can get a July date back for next year's race, with this year's June date believed to be a major factor in slow ticket sales.

Silverstone has sold just 72,000 out of its maximum allocation of 85,000 so far and, although the June 9-11 weekend's clash with England's opening soccer World Cup game with Paraguay has had an impact, it is the shift of date that organisers think has actually hurt them more.

Circuit boss Richard Phillips said on Tuesday that he has asked Ecclestone if the event could return to its traditional mid-July event in 2007 because of what has happened this year.

"I have asked Bernie if we can go back to July and we haven't had a response yet," he said. "July would be our preference because it is our traditional date.

"The April date a few years ago threw everything out and this June date has done the same. It would be great to go back to July, but I'm sure he won't be telling me that just yet."

Phillips' belief about the date factor has stemmed from the fact that ticket sales have shown a similar selling pattern to previous years - which makes him believe many fans are not aware of the race date moving forward by four weeks.

"It is the June date that has caught us out this year," he explained. "The profile for selling tickets has been exactly the same as previous years compared to when we started the European rounds.

"When we started that we started to increase our communications with the public and ticket sales have moved much, much better and much, much faster, so we are much happier than we were six weeks ago. So it is definitely the date and people do not understand that it is in June.

He added: "Last year we had an amazing year. I went around the track during the race and had a look at the people and I wasn't totally happy with the comfort levels, so this year we have moved back the size of the crowd.

"A capacity crowd at Silverstone now is 85,000 and this year we are on about 72,000. We are not that far off. In fact we are doing amazingly well and compared to other circuits we are doing fantastically well.

"In the next couple of weeks we would expect quite a lot of those tickets back but whether we will get to a sell out is still debateable."

Former world champion Damon Hill, who is president of the British Racing Drivers' Club, backed claims that the race date shift was the major factory.

"It is very simply that the date is earlier – and most people think it is later," he said. "And it is clashing with the World Cup."

Man of Honour
OP
Monaco: 40th anniversary of McLaren

The 2006 Monaco Grand Prix marks the 40th anniversary of McLaren, with the team making its Formula 1 race debut at the event in 1966 with founder Bruce McLaren at the wheel of the M2B. Bruce, who had previously won the event in 1962, became the youngest ever Formula 1 Driver / Constructor to enter a race, at the age of 29.

Since this time McLaren has won the prestigious race on 13 occasions, which is more than any other Formula 1 team. McLaren’s first Monaco Grand Prix victory occurred in 1984 with Alain Prost and the team went on to win every single year, apart from 1987, until 1993.

Ayrton Senna won the event a record six times, for which five of those victories he was driving for McLaren. Since the partnership with Mercedes-Benz began, Team McLaren Mercedes has won the Grand Prix on four separate occasions. Mika Hakkinen in 1998 and David Coulthard in 2000 and 2002. Last year Kimi Raikkonen won the race with a dominant victory from pole position. As Juan Pablo Montoya took victory in 2003 (with BMW Williams), Team McLaren Mercedes is the only current team that has two drivers who have won the legendary race.

"The Monaco Grand Prix is the most prestigious event of the year, this is partly the location but also the heritage. The race holds particular significance for the team, as McLaren made its Formula 1 debut at Monte Carlo 40 years ago,” said CEO Martin Whitmarsh. “Whilst we are pushing hard to develop the performance of the MP4-21, we are aware we have a challenge ahead on the streets of Monte Carlo if we are to build on this record.”

Man of Honour
OP
Coulthard expects to know future soon

David Coulthard believes that his future in Formula One should be decided within a month, as he pushes to remain at Red Bull Racing next year.

The British driver's contract with the team runs out at the end of the season and, although there have been rumours of interest from Toyota, Coulthard has made no secret that his first choice is to stay where he is.

Speaking in his official column in the News of the World, Coulthard said he was fired up to remain in F1 next year and hoped an answer would come within the next few weeks.

"My Formula One future should be decided soon, possibly in a month or so," he said. "But I want to stay with Red Bull (Racing) and I have started talks with them about next year."

He added: "I intend being around for a few years yet - and I haven't given any thought whatsoever to what I will do when I retire.

"Remember, I'm only 35. I don't recall people saying Nigel Mansell was too old when he won the title at 39."

Coulthard is adamant that his age is no barrier to success, and that the experience he has gained in F1 in his 200 races is worth more than anything any of the sport's younger stars can offer.

"I'm racing young guys who still live at home, but they need time to develop. They aren't going to be any quicker than I am. If you rush someone in and they aren't ready you can crush their career."

Man of Honour
OP
Ide lacked experience and English

Super Aguri team principal Aguri Suzuki has revealed just how unprepared Yuji Ide was for Formula One, saying inexperience and language barrier led to the Japanese driver's replacement at the team.

Ide made his Formula One debut with the new team in Bahrain, but he was too slow and got involved in on-track incidents with other drivers, which ended with the FIA advising Super Aguri to replace Ide.

Suzuki himself says he has not given up on Ide just yet but admitted the rookie driver was too inexperienced for Formula One.

"It was extremely difficult for him," Suzuki told F1 Racing. "He didn't know the circuits; he'd run just 200km in an F1 car before Bahrain - that was really tough.

"He didn't know how to drive an F1 car. He didn't know how to load up the tyres. He still needs to practice and study. But we're working on that."

The Japanese team principal and former F1 driver also revealed Ide's undoing was largely due to language barrier.

"I hope he'll learn from Takuma [Sato] as well as his race engineer, because he doesn't speak English (at all)," Suzuki told the magazine. "On the pit-to-car radio, I had to translate. That was very awkward for him and his race engineer.

"In the practice sessions on Friday and Saturday I had to ask, 'Yuji, what do you need now?' And, because he's so inexperienced in F1, even I found his answers, given in Japanese, hard to understand."

Man of Honour
OP
Sole tyre supplier to be revealed in July

Formula One teams will find out by the start of July who has won the contract to supply tyres in the sport from 2008, after the FIA opened up the tender process on Monday.

The FIA have given those companies interested in becoming F1's official tyre supplier until June 23 to submit their tenders, with a decision on the matter due to be taken on July 5.

Bridgestone are currently favourites to win the contract, but they could face competition from Italian company Pirelli.

French tyre manufacturer Michelin could also lodge a surprise entry, even though they announced their withdrawal from the sport at the end of this year because they were unhappy about the move to control tyres.

The winning tyre manufacturer will have to supply the same specification of tyres for the 2008, 2009 and 2010 championships - unless the FIA demands that the type changes in a bid to reduce cornering speeds.

There will be a choice of four compounds of tyres, although only two of these will be made available at each event.

As well as supplying all the tyres teams need to compete at Grands Prix, the tyre manufacturer will have to give each team a maximum of 300 sets of tyres for testing, a maximum of 12 sets for wind-tunnel testing and a number of tyres for show car use.

A prototype of the tyres planned to be used in 2008 must be made available to teams no later than April 1, 2007, with the actual tyres available to the teams from September 1, 2007.

And in a bid to ensure that F1 is not compromised by the winning tyre manufacturer not fulfilling their contractual commitments, the company will be asked to have available a guarantee from a 'top-ranking international financial institution' of 100 million Euros to cover any damages or compensation that the FIA deems necessary if there is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom