2006 Spanish Grand Prix - Race 6/18

Man of Honour
OP
Senna to drive a Porsche at Monaco

British Formula Three series leader Bruno Senna will race on the track where his uncle Ayrton scored a record six wins when he races in the Monaco Grand Prix-supporting Porsche Supercup later this month, according to this week's Autosport.

The race will be Senna's third Formula One-related event of this season. The 22-year-old has already raced in a celebrity saloon race in Bahrain and won in the Formula Three support races at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.

Senna said: "I met with Gerhard Berger at Melbourne and we were talking about how it was a pity that there was no F3 race at Monaco this year. He said maybe he could sort something out for me to race the guest Porsche - and he did!"

Senna is trying to build up his experience of Grand Prix circuits, but is not setting his sights too high high for the race on May 28.

"I'll do whatever I can and try to get beat the guys who are there. But a win would be a bonus - I'm mainly there to learn the circuit."

Former World Rally champion Colin McRae made his debut in the celebrity car at the Nurburgring last weekend but was eliminated two corners from the finish after an accident with David Dermont.

Man of Honour
OP
Thursday's press conference - Spain

Participating: Franck Montagny (Super Aguri), Pedro de la Rosa (McLaren Mercedes), Fernando Alonso (Renault), Felipe Massa (Ferrari) and Nico Rosberg (Williams Cosworth).

Q. Franck, life must have changed for you quite a lot.

Franck Montagny: Yeah, just a little bit: from my living room to a race track. Yeah, quite a lot.

Q. Tell us how it all came about?

FMo: Quite quickly and I am quite happy to be here, for sure. Thanks to Super Aguri for giving me this opportunity first. They called me a week before the race at Nurburgring and they asked me to come to be third driver, to do the testing on the Friday, because they could do it with a third car, and when I arrived, they asked me to do the race, because they had a problem with the second driver. I was just glad to do it.

Q. How can you see yourself improving the team, with your experience from Renault?

FMo: Well, I don't think we can improve this car, for sure, but the more we work on this car and all the things we can see from this car, we can maybe make a better car in the future. We all know that SA06 is coming soon so we can still work on new stuff, what I have learned in the past, what Takuma has learned in the past and maybe it's going to be better.

Q. And this race is a bit of a home race for you, isn't it?

FMo: Yeah, kind of, yeah. I used to live for four years here in Spain, in Barcelona, particularly. I really love this city. It's a very beautiful city, nice people, open minds. I have a lot of good things to say about here.

Q. And you still have a business here? Your hairdressing business?

FMo: Yeah, but I don't cut hair, don't get me wrong! I haven't been here this week; no time!

Q. Nico, tremendous race at the Nurburgring. The first time you went out on the track it was as though you had huge confidence, because you instantly set fastest time. Does knowing the circuit give you that much confidence?

Nico Rosberg: Yeah, the Nurburgring is one of the tracks that I know best throughout the year, coming into F1, because I've done a lot of races there, and I've had some great success there too. So I did feel confident going onto the track. Obviously it's always quite different when you tackle the track with a Formula One car, because the way you take the corners and everything is quite different. But I found that in especially the Micky Mouse part in the beginning there, it was actually quite similar to all the other cars (I've driven) so it worked out quite well initially and, yeah, the whole weekend worked out quite well,. It was quite a good result in the end, I think.

Q. Will you have similar confidence at all the circuits you know?

NR: Yes, of course. It's always a help when you come to a circuit and you know where you're going to be going, also for your confidence and everything. It is a slight help, yeah, every time.

Q. What's the pace of development like at Williams?

NR: I think it's probably very similar to all the other teams. They're pushing like hell in the factory, that I know, and I think development has been going very well. We've had some steps nearly every weekend so I think we will be keeping up, for sure, and maybe coming a bit closer too, sometimes.

Q. Have you been pretty pleased with your own performance, basically?

NR: Yeah, I've been pleased. It has been a bit up and down all the way to here, from my side and from the team's side, but I think that that could have been expected. As a whole, I have to say that I think it's gone quite well, but I hope to progress and do even better in the future.

Q. Felipe, your first podium at the Nurburgring. What does that do for a driver, for his morale?

Felipe Massa: I think it gives you happiness, first of all, and a lot more motivation to keep doing the same job. It was very very important for me, it was a great result, it's fantastic to be on the podium.

Q. How much of a difference did your new engineer make?

FM: For sure. If you have an engineer at Ferrari, he should be a good engineer. My ex-engineer was definitely a very very good engineer. The biggest problem was a little bit on the organisation and on the radio, so I was quite confident in my new engineer, who did a great job, talking about everything, not just the set-up, but everything that's going on and what's happening in the race weekend.

Q. From a Ferrari point of view, is the team going to be at a little bit at a disadvantage here in comparison to Renault who have perhaps done more testing than Ferrari have?

FM: I don't think so. We also tested at this track and we understood many important things, many good things. We improved the car a lot, especially in the last two races, so I think we can probably be very very competitive, as we were at the Nurburgring and also at Imola.

Q. Pedro, what's your role this weekend with McLaren Mercedes?

Pedro de la Rosa: Well, my role is the same as in the past, for the past races. Firstly, it is to act as a reserve driver; if anything happens, I have to be ready. And then just keep in touch with the engineers, the team, the drivers, Michelin, you know, just being involved, as much as I can, if I can help, with the tyre selection, everything. We've done all the tyre testing here, prior to this Grand Prix so I'm quite aware of which tyres are here and why and help, help if I can. Nothing else.

Q. What are the particular characteristics of this circuit, what do you have to look out for?

PdlR: I think that the biggest problems everyone will face here is front tyre graining and blistering. Those are the two major factors that are always the limiting factor. Choosing a soft compound here you have to be careful about graining. The front left tyre has a very hard time on this track because all the corners are very long, you're putting load on that tyre for a long time, and you stay on the throttle for a long time as well. And then you have the blistering factor which happened last year to Fernando and other Michelin runners. That's always a risk here.

Q. Fernando, your home circuit, is it something to be looked forward to or does it make it a little bit more complicated for you?

Fernando Alonso: No, it's the same. It's a normal race for me but obviously with much more support from the grandstands, so for me it is extra motivation for sure, to race here at home, and hopefully to get a good result here on Sunday.

Q. We heard from Pedro about tyre choice, and there was some doubt about the tyre choice at Nurburgring. How difficult is it to make that tyre choice?

FA: It's very difficult. As Pedro said, we normally test here at Barcelona before the Grand Prix in order to chose the tyres. Sometimes we test in Paul Ricard or another circuit, to chose the tyres for a completely different circuit, and you have to guess, a little bit, to believe what the Michelin... things which will be working on that type of asphalt, temperature, conditions etc, and I think particularly here in Barcelona, because we test all winter with five or six degrees temperature. We came here in May with 25. Normally, it's a little bit different. But normally we have been really good, in the last two years, here with the tyres so I have full confidence in the right choice for this weekend.

Q. Should you be scared or worried about Ferrari's form at the moment? How worried are you?

FA: Not much, same worry as I have from McLaren and Honda. I think we're still the four teams which should fight for victory in all Grands Prix. In the first five races, everything worked perfectly for Renault and Ferrari and we won all five races but I think McLaren and Honda have the pace as well and they normally qualify really well, especially Honda. McLaren normally do something more in the race, always close to the podium and I'm sure that if one weekend goes right for them, it will also be a close fight and I think what we have to do is work on our car, on our programme, our strategy, do as good a weekend as we can, as we did in the first five races and the result will be good in the end.

Q. Presumably for every team it's a matter of getting a whole number of factors absolutely right.

FA: Many factors: tyre choice, how the tyres work on the car - last weekend was not perfect for the Michelin runners, I think – strategy, fuel load in qualifying, the single lap qualifying: when you put on the new set of tyres at the end of Q3 (third qualifying) has to be your best lap of the weekend if you want to be at the front. There are many things that have to be perfect all weekend, and that's what we're looking for this weekend.

Questions from the floor

Q. (Sal Zack – Associated Press) Fernando, what's the biggest difference here compared to last year. The media, the fans?

FA: There are not many to be honest. Last year the attention was quite high already from the people and from the media. I came here last year leading the championship with 20 points higher than Kimi (Raikkonen) and (Jarno) Trulli, so already the pressure was quite big and the people were interested. Now arrive leading the championship again. I won last year but already this is in the past. I think people are concentrating on this year's championship –it's getting very interesting in the last two races and obviously people are looking on Sunday for me to do a good show.

Q. (Tom Clarkson – F1 Racing) Fernando, do you get more excitement out of beating Michael Schumacher than with other drivers?

FA: Yes, normally yes. Many times I think that to beat the big names and big drivers and big cars normally gives you more motivation and more excitement. I think that Michael – as a seven-times World Champion – it is always nice to fight with him and there is more pressure than to beat any other one. Always winning races and overtaking people is always exciting even if it is anyone.

Q. Fernando, if you compare the development work of Renault and Ferrari in the last two races, how do you see it?

FA: We saw that in the last two races Ferrari was coming very strong and won the last two races but I think it is difficult to see how the development is compared with them because we have Michelin tyres. I think compared to McLaren we've gone up and then, as well as improving the car race by race, we are beating them normally in the races. And with Ferrari, we don't know because the tyres look to be more important than anything else. The Bridgestone tyres were working very well in the last two races and hopefully here we will come back fighting and McLaren also.

Q. (Kevin Garside – Daily Telegraph) – Fernando, Bernie Ecclestone said that drivers do not in general do enough to promote Formula One and in you, we have a champion who doesn't do much. What are your thoughts?

FA: I don't know what Bernie means with that. I have a team that pay me to do my job. I go testing, I go to promotional events and I have my sponsors, I go to my obligations, I race and this is my job in Formula One. I don't know what more I have to do. I do everything that is in my contract that I have to.

Q. (Dan Knutson – National Speedsport News) Felipe, when you race in Brazil, what are the good things and the bad things about racing in front of your home crowd?

FM: When I race in Brazil, what are the good things and bad things? It's great to be in front of your home people with the flags and really enjoying motor racing. That's really fantastic for me. You can feel a really great feeling to see that from your people. I think the best thing a drive can have in Formula One is to race in front of your home people.

Q. (Alan Baldwin – Reuters) Fernando, we asked about the possibility of Michael Schumacher going to Renault next year and you laughed at that. Now it seems you and Kimi (Raikkonen) could swap places. What's your view on that?

FA: I don't know anything. I have decided after I fight for the championship this year, my future for next year and it doesn't matter what the others are doing, It's always interesting to see what the other drivers are doing, but that is just for fun rather than anything else. Whether the guy who replaces me is a name we all know or a new driver in the championship is not important.

Q. (Dominic Fugere – Le Journal de Montreal) Fernando, when I got here I was greeted by a cardboard cut-out of you at a petrol station. How do you feel about things like that?

FA: Strange, for sure, because in last two years everything grown up in Formula One. Three years ago we had half a million people watching F1 and now there are 10 million people watching the race. It has been a big change because now Formula One is a sport about which everybody is talking in the streets. It's aware of everything in the braces, and for sure my image or my face is in some more places now, but for me it's very strange.

Q. Fernando, is it realistic to think that who wins the championship is dependent on the tyre manufacturers?

FA: No, I think for sure it will be a very important factor. If Michelin or Bridgestone is in a very dominant position from now on then yes. Maybe Ferrari or the first Michelin team will win the championship more easily. The way were now we are quite close, we are fighting every race and there's McLaren and Honda who are also in the fight but they have not had a successful weekend so far. Now it think it is close enough and we are racing still with four teams and anything can happen so It is more reliant on small factors and the guy who finishes on the podium the most and is the most reliable and makes no mistakes will win.

Q. (Dan Knutson – National Speedsport News) Nico, there's been a lot of potential with the car this season but a lot of frustration with reliability problems. What's the atmosphere like in the team now?

NR: Williams is known for their determination of course. Because of the recent problems we've had, we could have done a lot better then we have up until now. The main thing again is that Williams are always pushing ahead and trying to get solutions to the problems and so the main thing I think in the team is flat-out determination.

Q. (Tom Clarkson – F1 Racing) Fernando, how much contact have you had with McLaren recently with a view towards 2007? Have you been to the factory?

FA: Nothing. Nothing at all.

Q. Fernando, would you like to have Pedro as a teammate or test driver at McLaren next year?

FA: For sure, Pedro knows the team very well and has lots of experience working with the team. For sure, it's great to have another Spanish driver in the team and he can help me a lot for sure, and I hope Pedro stays next year.

Q. Fernando, I saw a TV advert with you making some nifty dance steps. Was it really you with the dance steps?

FA: Of course. Two months preparation for this. No it was not me. A joke.

Q. (Dan Knutson – National Speedsport News) Franck, I believe you have two race deal with the team. Is that correct? What are your prospects for staying with the team beyond that?

FMo: I will do the best as I can for sure. Certainly when we get to Monaco it will be tough. To be honest, I don't really know the car so we cannot expect to be mid-grid, so I'll fight as much as I can to do a good job and try to do my best.

Q. Is there a chance of you continuing with the team for the rest of the season?

FMo: I am not the right person to ask.

Q. Would they prefer an all-Japanese team? Is that the case?

FMo: If you look on the sidepod of the car, there is badge that says 'born in Japan' so for sure it would be more interesting to have another Japanese driver in the car. While I'm in the car, I will try to do a very good job.

Q. (Heinz Pruller - ORF) Gentlemen, with the World Cup coming up, who do you think will be World Champions, and who is your favourite player?

FA: Brazil I think. My favourite player is Zidane.

FM: We are quite strong for the world cup and definitely Ronaldinho.

NR: I think Brazil is probably the favourite and Ronaldinho.

FMo: Same as my friend over there, Brazil and Ronaldinho.

PdlR: Spain obviously, and Casillas. We have to give a little bit to ourselves.

Man of Honour
OP
Liuzzi focusses on F1

Vitantonio Liuzzi has denied that he is not a serious formula one racer.

With his distinctive hairstyles, clothes and crooked hats, some observers note that not only is the rookie Italian the perfect fit for Red Bull, but that no other team would hire him.

''I think it is stupid that people think that ... I cannot perform,'' the 24-year-old, who drives for the energy drink's junior squad Toro Rosso, told f1.com.

''When I am in the car I am totally focused on results -- and when I am out of the car (I am focused) on other things.''

Liuzzi, it should be remembered, debuted last year with an impressive record. He dominated the final F3000 championship, and in 2001 beat Michael Schumacher in a kart race.

He insists that Red Bull, host to some of the most spectacular parties ever seen in formula one, is also serious about going racing.

Liuzzi insisted: ''Sure, it takes time, but the world championship is clearly on the agenda.''

Man of Honour
OP
Ferrari rivals to adopt 'flexi-wings'

Leading Formula 1 teams are planning to modify their aerodynamic packages in line with Ferrari’s interpretation of the technical regulations, according to this week’s Autosport magazine.

The Maranello squad was at the centre of controversy at the beginning of the season as rivals alleged it was gaining a performance advantage through the use of ‘flexi-wings’.

They argued that these devices contravened article 3.15 of the FIA technical regulations, which prohibits the use of moveable aerodynamic devices.

Ferrari, along with McLaren and BMW, modified its wings before the Australian Grand Prix, although it claimed it did so purely for performance reasons.

Ferrari has insisted that its aero package has been legal throughout, and its 248 car has passed all FIA scrutineering tests this season.

But the issue was reignited at the San Marino Grand Prix when Ferrari comfortably topped the speed trap figures – an advantage that rival teams claim is conferred by the ‘slot gap’ between the two elements of its rear wing closing under aerodynamic load, thus reducing drag.

Honda Racing technical director Geoff Willis subsequently wrote to FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting to express his concern over the situation.

However, the governing body continues to be satisfied that Ferrari’s wings comply with the rules.

According to Autosport, this has prompted other leading outfits to conclude they have nothing to lose by emulating the Italian team’s approach.

One unnamed source told the magazine: “It’s pretty obvious what Ferrari are doing and we’re going to have to do something similar to compete.

“We won’t be the only team doing this, either, and you’ll see the changes pretty quickly – certainly within weeks.”

Man of Honour
OP
Toyota 'B' Car 'Definately Has More Potential'

As the existing car is prepared to race for the last time in Spain, Toyota chief John Howett has played down expectations for the 'B' model.

The team's president told 'Speed TV' that most of the aerodynamic advances have already been passed on to the current car, which will become obsolete after Sunday's Barcelona race.

The 'TF106 B', featuring an all-new monocoque, is set for a Monaco debut.

''(It) may have some small advantage,'' said Howett, ''but (the advantages are) mainly mechanical.

''It's definitely got more potential ... but I don't think it's going to be a quantum leap forward.''

But Toyota, having endured a nightmarish start to the 2006 season, has taken steps forward during the season's first five races.

Howett said the red and white cars trailed Red Bull and BMW in Bahrain, but ''we're now clearly in front. We look as through we're a bit quicker than Williams, frankly,'' he added.

Man of Honour
OP
Renault inform GPMA of plans to sign new Concorde

Renault vice-president Alain Dassas spoke with the other GPMA teams (BMW, Honda, Mercedes, Toyota) at the Nurburgring and revealed that the French based squad wants to sign the new Concorde Agreement and therefore leave their club. However, Dassas was reminded that his predecessor, Patrick Faure, has signed a contract that does not allow any one of manufacturers to take any individual action before September.

According to our spies in Europe, Renault wants to sign up for the 50 percent deal, beginning with 2006, while the others want to sign on for the 60 percent offer from 2008 onwards as they claim that until 2012, the difference is 300 million dollars in favour of the 60 percent solution.

“They are not even able to calculate it,” Bernie said and he is probably right.

Let’s suppose that there is currently 200 million dollars distributed among the teams, which represents 23 percent of all income (TV, race prompters money, paddock club, track advertising). If you opt for the 50 percent offer, than the teams get 434 million (50 %) over seven years and that adds up to 3.04 billion dollars up till 2012. The other option means that in 2006 and 2007 there would be no change in pay-out, so the teams would get 200 million each for those two years. Then, from 2008 on they would get five times 521 million dollars (60 %), making 3.01 billion dollars.

Therefore it is more or less the same, the only difference being that the teams would start to negotiate in 2012 on the basis of 60 percent instead of 50 for the following years, which is obviously is a better starting point. But, this side of things is of no concern to Renault because as world champions they have the best payout now (apart from Ferrari with their extra rights), so it makes sense to go for the 50 percent solution as they would benefit immediately. Who can guarantee them that it will be the same as that after 2007?

Discussions will continue this week.

Well the clause in the GPMA agreement will screw Renault - you leave the GPMA - you get sued by the rest...

Man of Honour
OP
Dutch Guy said:
I can't excactly remember last years race but it wouldn't surprise me if it was and will be a dull race again.

2005 SPANISH GRAND PRIX
RACE FACTS - LAP-BY-LAP REPORT

* Lap 1: After qualifying on pole position for the second time in as many races – and the fifth in his Formula One career – Kimi Räikkönen makes a sharp start, although local hero Fernando Alonso is away even more briskly and outdrags front-row starter Mark Webber to snatch second. Ralf Schumacher passes Webber at the first corner, too, while Jarno Trulli settles into fifth ahead of, Giancarlo Fisichella, Michael Schumacher, Juan Pablo Montoya, David Coulthard, Felipe Massa, Jacques Villeneuve, Nick Heidfeld (up from 17th on the grid), Vitantonio Liuzzi, Rubens Barrichello, Narain Karthikeyan and Tiago Monteiro. The Minardis of Christijan Albers and Patrick Friesacher are left on the grid – Heidfeld almost collects the latter – and the Safety Car is deployed.

* Lap 3: The race resumes and Räikkönen immediately pulls away, leaving Alonso 1.9s behind. Montoya passes Michael Schumacher under braking for Turn One. The Minardis join in from the pit lane.

* Lap 4: Räikkönen extends his lead to 2.6s…

* Lap 5: ..and 3.1s. He is getting faster by the lap and Alonso has no answer, although he is comfortably clear of the pack.

* Lap 7: Montoya spins at Turn Eight but doesn’t lose any positions.

* Lap 8: Räikkönen ups his pace to 1m16.982s. His lead grows to 4.6s.

* Lap 10: Liuzzi spins out of 13th and into the gravel at Turn Seven. He goes no further. Räikkönen – still increasing his speed by the lap – leads by 6.6s.

* Lap 13: Räikkönen laps in 1m16.345s. Karthikeyan runs wide at Turn Eight and loses 14th place to team-mate Monteiro, who runs slightly less wide to pass him.

* Lap 14: For the first time, Räikkönen fails to go faster than he did on the previous lap.

* Lap 15: The distant Friesacher, running a couple of laps down, spins into retirement at Turn Three.

* Lap 17: Räikkönen laps in 1m16.104s to stretch his lead to 15.4s. Ralf Schumacher is catching Alonso.

* Lap 18: Webber pits from fourth and resumes in 10th.

* Lap 19: Albers pulls off.

* Lap 20: Räikkönen laps in 1m16.059s. Ralf Schumacher is right on Alonso’s tail.

* Lap 24: Ralf Schumacher refuels.

* Lap 25: Räikkönen and Trulli pit, as does the lapped Monteiro. Räikkönen is still ahead when he rejoins – about half a second clear of Alonso.

* Lap 27: Alonso, Coulthard and Massa stop.

* Lap 29: Fisichella and Montoya pit – and the Italian rejoins ahead of Alonso. Gifted a clear track, for the first time all race, Michael Schumacher laps in 1m16.3s – almost Räikkönen territory. Heidfeld and Karthikeyan refuel.

*Lap 30: Michael Schumacher sets a new fastest lap – 1m 16.019s. Montoya pits for the second consecutive lap.

* Lap 31: Michael Schumacher laps in 1m15.648s. Villeneuve comes in for fuel.

* Lap 32: Michael Schumacher peels in to the pits and vaults to fourth on his return to the track.

* Lap 34: Webber runs wide and loses momentum. Barrichello passes him but pits immediately.

* Lap 35: With the stops over, Räikkönen leads by 25 seconds from Fisichella, Alonso, Michael Schumacher, Trulli, Ralf Schumacher (the Toyotas running in close company), Webber, Coulthard, Massa, Montoya, Heidfeld, Barrichello, Villeneuve, Monteiro and Karthikeyan.

* Lap 38: Räikkönen laps Barrichello.

* Lap 40: Alonso closes right up on Fisichella, who pits at the end of the lap for a new nose section. He slumps to 11th.

* Lap 43: Webber makes his second scheduled stop.

* Lap 44: Michael Schumacher makes an unscheduled second stop and has a fresh left rear tyre fitted.

* Lap 47: Räikkönen laps Michael Schumacher – who immediately slides wide at the first corner with an apparently soft front left. The German crawls back to the pits to retire.

* Lap 49: Räikkönen and Alonso pit and resume as they were, 25 seconds apart at the head of the field.

* Lap 51: Ralf Schumacher and Coulthard stop to refuel. Villeneuve pits to retire.

* Lap 52: Trulli pits and rejoins ahead of his team-mate. Massa refuels.

* Lap 55: Heidfeld makes his second stop after harrying team-mate Webber for several laps.

* Lap 56: Montoya refuels.

* Lap 57: As the race enters its final stint, Räikkönen is streets ahead of Alonso, who is equally well clear of the Toyotas (Trulli just shading Ralf Schumacher). Webber lies fifth, from the closing Fisichella, with Montoya and Coulthard completing the top eight. Barrichello, Heidfeld, Massa and the Jordans are all lapped.

* Lap 63: Massa runs wide at the final corner with a deflated left rear tyre and pulls off.

* Lap 64: Fisichella passes Webber on the way into Turn One.

* Lap 66: Räikkönen completes the third victory of his grand prix career, 27.6s clear of Alonso. Trulli and Ralf Schumacher take third and fourth, from Fisichella – who sets the race’s fastest lap, 1m15.641s, right at the end – and Webber. Montoya is a lapped seventh, from Coulthard, Barrichello, Heidfeld, Massa (classified, despite not finishing), Monteiro and Karthikeyan.

Man of Honour
OP
rpstewart said:
Ban refuelling but continue to allow tyre changes albeit with a limited number of pit crew - I'm talking 4-6 including jack men.

Firstly it removes all the problems which have plagued these Intertechnique fuel rigs (which the FIA deny happen.)

Secondly it takes you back to the late 80s style of racing when there were basically 3 ways of running the race.

1) The Senna style - hell for leather for the first third of the race to build a lead then pit and pace the second set to the end.

2) The Prost style - pace the first set for 60% of the race, change to new tyres and charge after Senna.

3) The de Cesaris style - try and make one set last the entire race, making everyone wonder how a Leyton House is leading until Prost and Senna (only!) charge past with 2 laps to go.

At present everyone knows when the pitstops will be as they are determined by fuel load so it's possible to predict where any car will be at any one time. If you remove the predictability of pitstops by limiting them to tyres only then you remove the ability to pre-plan "overtaking" maneouvers. You also end up with cars with varying levels of tyre grip in the last third of the race, at the moment the final stint of a GP is basically between identically fuelled and tyred cars.

I'd keep the crew to the size it is now - allow 4 second tyre changes again - and make the pit lane part fo the track.

200mph into your pit box. :D

No refuelling though. That way pitstops are not strategic.

Although the tyres will need to be harder to withstand the punishment of a fully fuelled car at the start. And will be able, if you choose the harder compound, to go the full race distance.

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
rpstewart said:
Here, that's quite funky. Better than my knocked up in 10 mins GE flyover :)

Am I right in thinking there was less testing at Barcelona over the winter than usual? Resurfacing or something springs to mind. That could throw a spanner in the works if it's changed the characteristics of the track.

Ferrari may also be at a disadvantage as they're rarely seen testing at Barcelona so we'll see what happens.

Ta - the other video's are now up and I'm working on the introdutions to each... :eek:

I think that parts of Barca were resurfaced - there was a lot of testing there though this year.

Soldato
Type_R said:
haha got to love the peeps who love races where a Ferrari doesn't win.

In that case hope this race is as boring as the last one :D
hope thats not directed at me. I wanna see good clean racing ALWAYS... and overtaking ..... NOT IN THE PITS :mad: that aint racing :D

Sadly I have to watch the bikes to see proper racing....... But I still love F1

I'd love it more if that berk Max stopped faffing about with the rules

Last edited:
Soldato
Flibster said:
I'd keep the crew to the size it is now - allow 4 second tyre changes again - and make the pit lane part fo the track.

200mph into your pit box. :D

No refuelling though. That way pitstops are not strategic.

Although the tyres will need to be harder to withstand the punishment of a fully fuelled car at the start. And will be able, if you choose the harder compound, to go the full race distance.

Simon/~Flibster

jus' like the old days.... apart from the 200mph in the pits :eek:

fuz

fuz

Associate
Doornbos to Replace Klien?

F1Racing.net can exclusively reveal that Robert Doornbos will replace Christian Klien after the Spanish Grand Prix weekend. The Dutch Red Bull test driver secured the seat after his sponsor paid a total of 15 million euro to secure the seat, making it the most expensive seat ever in Formula 1 history.

Although Christian Klien is showing a great performance this season the Red Bull team decided to take him out for Doornbos' euro's. Doornbos was already paying total sum of eight million euro for his job as Red Bull's test driver, but his sponsor Muermans will pay an extra seven million euro to have the Dutch man back at the grid.

The last Grand Prix Doornbos raced was the Chinese Grand Prix in October 2005 with the Minardi team.

Liuzzi is not a happy man in the paddock as he would have expected to race for Red Bull when a seat would come available. Liuzzi has been a Red Bull driver for many years, and shared a seat with Klien in 2005 at Red Bull Racing.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=117789

I don't know how true this is, but I've felt that despite his nationality, Red Bull have been getting a little annoyed with Klien this season, although I would've expected Liuzzi to come in instead... still Robert is a nice guy and deserves another shot in F1 imo.

Man of Honour
Alibaba99 said:
I seem to remember a race where Senna stayed out and Mansell pitted for new tyres, then closed down Senna at a rate of knots but just couldn't pass him.

I take it you're thinking of Monaco '92. At any other track Mansell would have strolled past. Take Silverstone '87, a tyre problem forced Mansell to pit for new boots leaving him 30s behind Piquet in the sister Williams - he made that gap back in 20 laps before making one of the all time overtaking moves down into Stowe.

Soldato
1. MASSA Ferrari 1m15.796s

2. M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 1m16.099s

3. WURZ Williams 1m16.125s

4. KUBICA BMW 1m16.628s

5. DAVIDSON Honda 1m16.961s

6. DOORNBOS Red Bull 1m17.424s

7. JANI Toro Rosso 1m19.720s

8. MONDINI Midland 1m20.708s

9. SATO Super Aguri 1m20.744s

10. MONTAGNY Super Aguri no time

11. SPEED Toro Rosso no time

12. WEBBER Williams no time

13. TRULLI Toyota no time

14. ALBERS Midland no time

15. ROSBERG Williams no time

16. MONTEIRO Midland no time

17. R.SCHUMACHER Toyota no time

18. BUTTON Honda no time

19. LIUZZI Toro Rosso no time

20. HEIDFELD BMW no time

21. MONTOYA McLaren no time

22. VILLENEUVE BMW no time

23. COULTHARD Red Bull no time

24. KLIEN Red Bull no time

25. BARRICHELLO Honda no time

26. ALONSO Renault no time

27. FISICHELLA Renault no time

28. RAIKKONEN McLaren no time

As soon as we get rid of this 2 race engine stuff the better

Whats the point of this? All these no times...... pfft

I'd be well peeed off if i'd paid to watch this

Soldato
1. Anthony Davidson (GB) Honda 1:16.533
2. Robert Doornbos (Ned) Red Bull 1:16.824
3. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Renault 1:16.860
4. Alexander Wurz (Aut) Williams-BMW 1:17.075
5. Christian Klien (Aut) Red Bull 1:17.086
6. Michael Schumacher (Ger) Ferrari 1:17.100
7. Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Renault 1:17.291
8. Jenson Button (GB) Honda 1:17.414
9. Rubens Barrichello (Bra) Honda 1:17.417
10. Ralf Schumacher (Ger) Toyota 1:17.506
11. Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota 1:17.610
12. Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:17.622
13. Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 1:17.844
14. Mark Webber (Aus) Williams-BMW 1:17.908
15. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) McLaren-Mercedes 1:17.933
16. Jacques Villeneuve (Can) BMW Sauber 1:18.007
17. Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari 1:18.223
18. Juan Pablo Montoya (Col) McLaren-Mercedes 1:18.261
19. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams-BMW 1:18.283
20. David Coulthard (GB) Red Bull 1:18.410
21. Neel Jani (Swi) Toro Rosso 1:18.774
22. Giorgio Mondini (Swi) Midland 1:18.910
23. Scott Speed (US) Toro Rosso 1:19.257
24. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Ita) Toro Rosso 1:19.334
25. Christijan Albers (Ned) Midland 1:19.358
26. Takuma Sato (Jap) Super Aguri F1 Team 1:19.616
27. Tiago Monteiro (Por) Midland 1:20.311
28. Franck Montagny (Fra) Super Aguri F1 Team 1:22.222

Got to be woth a bet on Klien getting a podium - betfred offering 50/1 on that!

Back
Top Bottom