1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 MBPro Battery Life & Graphics Switching

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by MacRS4, 21 Apr 2010.

1. MacRS4

Wise Guy

I thought some of you may be interested in these posts:

About battery life and the graphic switching
    Macbook Pro 2010 Poor Battery Life

Few Common Questions on the 2010 MBP
    http://www.markc.me.uk/MarkC/Blog/Entries/2010/4/20_Early_2010_Macbook_Pro_i7.html

The battery one is doing my head in. You cannot currently specify the low power chip. The choices are:

1. Intel HD Lower power graphics
    2. Auto-switching.
    3. Hi-power NVIDIA GeForce

Currently you can do 2 & 3, but you cannot do 1..... which is unfortunate!

2. ps3ud0

Caporegime

Hmm thats a worry - I presume you can switch it back after it all boots to the Intel one and if you use any apps that need the nVidia theyll use the switching properly?

Wondering if its just a boot issue...

Though being able to tell and save which programs should use which GFX chip in what circumstances (i.e. on battery) would be preferred if they can get it sorted to work automatically...

ps3ud0 :cool:

3. MacRS4

Wise Guy

It switches automatically back to the Intel once you stop using the app that forces the switch to NVIDIA.

A choice of which to use would be nice I think.

4. Westyfield2

Capodecina

Interesting stuff :)

At the risk of crossposting... http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=16411791&postcount=463

5. ps3ud0

Caporegime

Westyfield2 - saw your post in the main thread but thought this concern warranted a new thread while its still being discussed. Your thoughts on the Windows bootcamp are interesting - might delay my purchase...

ps3ud0 :cool:

6. Rameses

Sgarrista

Shirley its a software issue with OSX, I'll put a pound on that Apple is already testing a solution....I also bet under bootcamp Windows manages it better because the drivers have been out for a lot longer with regards of auto-switching?

7. MacRS4

Wise Guy

I don't see the Intel used at all on B/c - it's always the NVIDIA :confused:

8. Westyfield2

Capodecina

:(

Suppose that's better than the other way round, but can't imagine it does the battery life any favours then!

9. MacRS4

Wise Guy

It estimates 4-5 hours in Win7 x64 via Bootcamp for me. To be fair I only use B/c for a couple of work specific apps that are quite intense so it could be you'd get longer.

10. HarryPainful

PermaBanned

I find that skype turns on the 330!

A little annoying when on battery.

11. QwaF

Hitman

It needs some tweaking, but I've found the battery life to be brilliant, best out of all the laptops I've owned.

Mind you, this is the first Macbook I've owned.. so that is probably why i'm so wow'd by the battery life.

12. Westyfield2

Capodecina

13. QwaF

Hitman

Yeah, i'm using it now. The force switching is good for the only one program that is randomly started up the GPU on me and that is the mac steam beta, other than that - Apples switching works fine without any other intervention.