2017 MacBook Pro battery service

Associate
Hi have a 2017 13" MBP which this morning has flagged up I require a battery service, 1 month after my AppleCare has run out. Got coconut battery and its saying I have 76% capacity with 227 cycles, which is way below their stated 80% capacity at 1000 cycles.

Apple says it doesn't matter that its not lived up to their life indication on the website and I must pay for replacement. Does this sound right?

Soldato
I’m sorry to say , yes ultimately.

your best bet is to complain to Apple Care on the basis that your battery is so bad, it would’ve been terrible even before Apple care ran out.

And next time get it tested before it runs out

Soldato
I changed the battery once on my 2015 Macbook pro. It was on it's last legs at around 800 cycles but I finished it off with a bit water on the controller.

New battery is at 301 cycles and 87.6%. It's only been a year and a half.

Associate
Is your battery life noticeably bad for you?

My 2017 MBP recently flagged up saying service recommended at 300 cycles but it performs well enough for me not to notice at the moment so I’m in no rush

Soldato
Nope not really battery life is ok. MacOS says condition is 'normal' I don't really do anything intensive on battery power. mostly just browsing or youtube, netflix etc.. 100% to about 50% is 3.5-4 hours of watching shows.

I won't replace the battery until MacOS says it's dead, or won't hold charge for more than a couple of hours. I expect that won't happen for another couple of years yet.

Associate
OP
I’m sorry to say , yes ultimately.

your best bet is to complain to Apple Care on the basis that your battery is so bad, it would’ve been terrible even before Apple care ran out.

And next time get it tested before it runs out

Battery life has been absolutely fine and it was checked before the AppleCare ran out (It was showing the battery capacity at 87%), the battery life dropped quite considerably in the past 10 days It would lose 0-1% if I left it sleeping for 7 hours, now it loses 10% in the same space of time.

Back
Top Bottom