2019 Chilli Growing thread

Associate
Following on from 2018 what are people growing this year?

I have a few plants that look like they'll survive over-wintering so just adding/changing a little this year.

Padron - 6 plants, up from 3 last year but will probably try and stagger them as these bore fruit really early but slowed down a-lot towards the end of summer but are fantastic pan-fried with a sprinkle of salt (and unlike most I've tried in restaurants mine had a fair few with a nice kick to them)

Aji Limon - overwintering ok and a really lovely chilli so back on the list.

Hungarian hot-wax - over-wintered and quite a heavy cropper last year so back on the list.

One mystery chilli - think it's a paper lantern chilli that came out of a pack of Aji Limon seeds, over-wintered OK and did well last year so that can stay.

Think I'll replace last years Italian pepperoncini with a frigitello for pickling - really trying to find something to replicate the mild pickled chilli's you get in the kebab shop.

I'll choose a habanero or two to use in hot-sauces and relishes as well.

The propagator and heating mat are ready to get them going in next couple of weeks and then they'll be shifted into a cold-frame in the conservatory, more to protect them from the cat than anything else before finally going outside when it's warm enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love Aji Limons for cooking. I hope my 2 year old plant will survive another winter. It needs repotting in the spring. Got about 5 different chilli plants in the shed attempting to over winter. Will see how they all go.

I need to start propagating some seeds shortly, this is a great reminder!

Soldato
I love Aji Limons for cooking. I hope my 2 year old plant will survive another winter. It needs repotting in the spring. Got about 5 different chilli plants in the shed attempting to over winter. Will see how they all go.

I need to start propagating some seeds shortly, this is a great reminder!

I hope mine survive too, all 10 of them!

thanks to ocuk and a friendly neighbour I decided to prune them and leave them in the greenhouse
but been told no to expect life
we will see.......

Soldato
Oh it is that time of year again! Last year I grew 6 plants. This time I'm going to grow less. I had more chilies than I knew what to do with!

Soldato
Forgot to overwinter my Basket of Fire plant that Street kindly donated me last year and it's now probably too late.
Will definitely be getting some seeds for this year! @Street where did you get the seeds from please?

Would also like some sweet chili / peppers seeds to try this year. Any recommendations?

Also have 1 ghost chili that I need to take the seeds out of to see if I can get them to catch. should be interesting.

Soldato
Forgot to overwinter my Basket of Fire plant that Street kindly donated me last year and it's now probably too late.
Will definitely be getting some seeds for this year! @Street where did you get the seeds from please?

Would also like some sweet chili / peppers seeds to try this year. Any recommendations?

Also have 1 ghost chili that I need to take the seeds out of to see if I can get them to catch. should be interesting.

Did it fruit well? I used Sow Seeds for the Basket of Fire, but I've used UK Chilli Seeds as well.

Oh it is that time of year again! Last year I grew 6 plants. This time I'm going to grow less. I had more chilies than I knew what to do with!

I always say that then always seem to get over run by plants and have the missus complaining! This year I'm going to try and limit it to a few plants..

I got hammered by greenfly towards the end of the season and ended up fighting a losing battle. Hopefully I can avoid them this year.

Soldato
Soldato
Hi chaps,

Been out of the game for a few years -whats the best way to germinate these days? I could have sworn I started the seeds off using damp kitchen roll in my airing cupboard then tranferred them to a coir plug - is this still the preferred route?

Soldato
I had some success last year with cayenne, jalapeños and California wonder peppers bought from B&M they came in a blister pack that doubled as propagator.

I'm fancying trying my hand at some others this year, where do you all tend to buy your seeds?

Associate
OP
Hi chaps,

Been out of the game for a few years -whats the best way to germinate these days? I could have sworn I started the seeds off using damp kitchen roll in my airing cupboard then tranferred them to a coir plug - is this still the preferred route?

I germinated in some plain old potting compost last year but going to try some coir plugs this year.
Think the key thing is getting them into a propagator and ensuring it's warm enough to germinate.
Adding a heated mat under the propogator made massive difference last year - lot of plants failed without it in a relatively cold kitchen.

Soldato
I germinated in some plain old potting compost last year but going to try some coir plugs this year.
Think the key thing is getting them into a propagator and ensuring it's warm enough to germinate.
Adding a heated mat under the propogator made massive difference last year - lot of plants failed without it in a relatively cold kitchen.

Thanks mate - I do still have the heated propagator from last time - I moved the seeds from the kitchen roll to coir plugs in the propagator.

Soldato
I had some success last year with cayenne, jalapeños and California wonder peppers bought from B&M they came in a blister pack that doubled as propagator.

I'm fancying trying my hand at some others this year, where do you all tend to buy your seeds?

I've purchased from Devon Chilli Farm: https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/online-shop/chilli-seeds/ Good selection and a worth a visit if you are in the area to see their show / display tunnel.

I'm going to get the propagator out this week to get the first tomatoes and chillies going.

Soldato
I've purchased from Devon Chilli Farm: https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/online-shop/chilli-seeds/ Good selection and a worth a visit if you are in the area to see their show / display tunnel.

I'm going to get the propagator out this week to get the first tomatoes and chillies going.
Thanks I'll have a look, I had mine the spare room, window, it's south facing and always warm in there as the radiator is always on (and heated airer) at this time of year.

Soldato
Think i might get back to growing again as ive not bothered for the last few years.

Def going for Aji limons again if i do as they grew stupidly well and i had a freezer full of them at one point. The scotch bonnets i tried had hundreds of flowers across all the plants but i only ever had about a dozen chillis as the flowers all dropped off

Soldato
Got a lot of super hot seeds from last year.
Not even sure what they are any more, but they're the type to melt your face off, you know, stuff in the top 5 hottest in the world :D
Also picked up some of these seeds online....
Not even sure they're real!?!
Does anyone know?
Hahah !!

23hq6mq.jpg

Quick question though.
I've been reclaiming some of the soil from failed overwintering and basically, it's dust.
I'm trying to re-hydrate it, but now it just feels like wet dust.
Is it useless or it's all fine and doesn't really matter?

- Cheers

Associate
OP
Got a lot of super hot seeds from last year.
Not even sure what they are any more, but they're the type to melt your face off, you know, stuff in the top 5 hottest in the world :D
Also picked up some of these seeds online....
Not even sure they're real!?!
Does anyone know?
Hahah !!

23hq6mq.jpg

Quick question though.
I've been reclaiming some of the soil from failed overwintering and basically, it's dust.
I'm trying to re-hydrate it, but now it just feels like wet dust.
Is it useless or it's all fine and doesn't really matter?

- Cheers

No idea what those chilli's might be, though reckon good chance it's just been photoshopped to makem look 'interesting' (google image search has that stock photo showing up in quite a few places).

If it's old stuff that plants have already grown in then a lot of the nutrients will have been drained, I'd suggest getting some fresh potting or general purpose compost if you're growing from seed to give the plants the best chance.

Soldato
If it's old stuff that plants have already grown in then a lot of the nutrients will have been drained, I'd suggest getting some fresh potting or general purpose compost if you're growing from seed to give the plants the best chance.

The soil should be ok. I re-potted my plants only a few months before the failed overwintering, also I got some Chilli Focus on the way, so I think I'm fine for nutrients.
I hope the soil re-hydrates though. I did some googling and apparently I just need to wait longer.

Soldato
I've just ordered myself some Reaper, Habanero and Basket of Fire seeds. I've had good success with them in the past and I actually use them so figured I'd try and restrain myself this year and stick to a few plants.

Back
Top Bottom