2019 Chilli Growing thread

Caporegime
A mate of mine is on holiday at the moment and is growing some chilies, but only things like jals and nothing too hot. He's brought over 23 plants for me to tend to for a week. At the same time, I counted my pots and I'm at 38! I need to buy some new pots to transfer them into their final places on a number. What size do you think is best? 15L? I'll have to amazon them, around here they're like 2.50-5er a pot!

don't they only need like 3-6 litre pots? seems to be what most sites suggest.
most chillies are dwarf anyway it's not like they are huge bell pepper plants with large fruit.

I'd probably move mine to 10 litre square pots if I wasn't so lazy, right now there in like 4-8 litre pots.

benefit of 10> 15 is probably you just have to water less often but I'm no expert

Soldato
My neighbour gifted me one of these last night. It's called Joe's Long Cayenne, and I couldn't get over the size difference compared to my habaneros!

FW56SmQ.jpg
I've got cayennes and habs, my cayennes are about the same as that and habs half as tall.

Got about 4 nicely ripe cayennes per plant with maybe another 10-15 green not far behind. On the habs there's plenty coming but they are taking their time!

Ate the first cayennes last night on some homemade kamado pizza, we had guests round so I warned the heat level is unknown, but I wasn't too worried as they are only cayennes. They were pretty pokey though! There was a bit of coughing and asking for extra drinks, but I found them just right for a good kick on a pizza.

Caporegime
I did cayenne years ago I don't eat spicy food apart from thai green curry which is like mild anyway.

my wife at the time and stepson thought they would be like jalapeno hot, my step son being around 14 at the time decided he would eat a whole one fresh off the plant then quickly ran to the fridge and drank a few pints of milk lol...
I often wonder if people really enjoy the truly spicy ones with insane scoville counts

cayenne are 30-50k scoville which imo is pretty damn hot when you consider a jalapeno is like 2k-8k only

Caporegime
All of my plants are well on their way and production fruit now. My Borg 9, Ghost and Reaper plants have a ton of fruit of varying size, the fruit on one of my Chocolate Douglah plants is already starting to ripen as are all of the fruit on my Moruga plants which I didn't expect until September. Will bite in to one when they're ripe but they look a bit too much like Habs at the moment.

Soldato
All of my plants are well on their way and production fruit now. My Borg 9, Ghost and Reaper plants have a ton of fruit of varying size, the fruit on one of my Chocolate Douglah plants is already starting to ripen as are all of the fruit on my Moruga plants which I didn't expect until September. Will bite in to one when they're ripe but they look a bit too much like Habs at the moment.

They look good! I've still only got one lonely chilli on my Ghost, it has started flowering more recently at least.

Soldato
Just picked some red bonnet's, my Pinocchio's Nose are like 15" long and still growing, my fav chilli Fatalli yellow have started to ripe, Fresno, Cherry Bomb and Jalepeno coming along as well, and a few of my Tomatoes.
20200731-171543.jpg

20200731-172017.jpg

20200731-171944.jpg

20200731-172031.jpg

20200731-173652.jpg

20200731-171914.jpg

20200731-173548.jpg

20200731-171732.jpg

20200731-171857.jpg

20200731-171822.jpg

20200731-171613.jpg

20200731-171700.jpg

Soldato
^Very nice. Lots of plants there!

Many of my plants are on the patio now. Have too many and don't like some of the types and think they're not true either, maybe hybrids. All these seeds came from chillies given to me. Reapers have never turned red and are too long (most of them). Yellow Trinidad bonnets different shape but same colour as the Reapers and not yellow :). These are okay but tasteless. So, I've already started off a few milder more tasty plants from seeds from Suttons to see if I can overwinter those for an early start next year. Have plenty of seeds so if those do die I'll just start again early next year.

A few of my plants have leaves turning a lime colour even at the top of it. Still fruiting fine. On one of the plants the leaves curl up and drop off too. Have way too many chillies though which are being frozen anyway in case the plants die off but wouldn't mind finding out what's causing the issue. The leaves on my tomato plants also turn yellowy/brown/purple and have to cut those off too. Still developing more tomatoes however. Overwatering/under/lack of nutrients. Not figured it out yet.

Soldato
^Very nice.

Many of my plants are on the patio now. Have too many and don't like some of the types and think they're not true either, maybe hybrids. All these seeds came from chillies given to me. So, I've already started off a few milder more tasty plants from seeds from Suttons to see if I can overwinter those for an early start next year. Have plenty of seeds so if those do die I'll just start again early next year.

A few of my plants have leaves turning a lime colour even at the top of it. Still fruiting fine. On one of the plants the leaves curl up and drop off too. Have way too many chillies though which are being frozen anyway in case the plants die off but wouldn't mind finding out what's causing the issue. The leaves on my tomato plants also turn yellowy/brown/purple and have to cut those off too. Still developing more tomatoes however. Overwatering/under/lack of nutrients. Not figured it out yet.
Thx,
Tomato plants do that, everyone's leaves eventually turn yellowy/brown/purple from the bottom up, thats normal, just cut them off when they go yellow, reason i have ripe chillis now on my bonnett and fatalli, is because they were both overwintered, so got a early start.

Soldato
Looking good there.

^Very nice. Lots of plants there!

Many of my plants are on the patio now. Have too many and don't like some of the types and think they're not true either, maybe hybrids. All these seeds came from chillies given to me. Reapers have never turned red and are too long (most of them). Yellow Trinidad bonnets different shape but same colour as the Reapers and not yellow :). These are okay but tasteless. So, I've already started off a few milder more tasty plants from seeds from Suttons to see if I can overwinter those for an early start next year. Have plenty of seeds so if those do die I'll just start again early next year.

The leaves on my tomato plants also turn yellowy/brown/purple and have to cut those off too. Still developing more tomatoes however. Overwatering/under/lack of nutrients. Not figured it out yet.

If the original plants were F1 hybrids they won't come true. Yellow brown leaves doesn't sound right if the veins are still greenish but the rest yellow thats a deficiency, can't really say without photos. Mine are green until the time comes to grub them up in november, commercial growers keep them going for 18 months or so but they have heat.

Soldato
He is on about his tomato plants, yellow leaves is normal as the season goes on, for most people, i always get them eventually, i just cut off every leave below bottom truss when that happens, a lot cut them off regardless as well, to keep air circulating around base of plant, especially in greenhouse/polly tunnel.
Why are leaves on my tomato plant turning yellow or brown?
There are yellow and brown leaves on the bottom of this tomato plant, but that’s normal.

https://buffalo-niagaragardening.co...s-on-my-tomato-plant-turning-yellow-or-brown/

Soldato
Looking very good @Daytrader. I've got quite a few chilli plants now growing chillies, although small ones. We've had a pretty poor summer so far, so i think they've taken a bit longer to grow than normal.

I'm feeding them once a week, hopefully they'll soak up some sun during August and grow to good sizes.

Early topic: how do you prep a plan for overwintering? I've got quite a few big ones that took quite some time to grow, so thinking it would be ideal for next year to not have to go through the full growth stages again. Can a chilli plant survive winter as a full plant? Or do they need to be cut back down to the stems?

Soldato
I cut mine back to like around 8" stem with a v, i did post some photos back in this thread for someone else, once in doors there loose all there leaves eventually, i got all my info from this link https://www.thechileman.org/guide_overwinter.php

Over-wintering -

Q: I would like to keep my chilli plant over winter, what should I do?

A: Chilli plants tend to stop growing and flowering during the winter months in the UK. If the plant is coming in from a greenhouse or patio, you may need to prune it to fit the available space. You can lightly prune to re-shape the plant or heavily prune to just leave the main stem. If the plant grew to an ideal size, then a hard pruning will allow it to re-grow with the same fruit cover and size the following season. Keep the compost just off dry while the plant is dormant and keep it somewhere light, but not with extremes of temperature. In the UK, overwintered plants usually start to become active in March or April, depending on where they are being kept. Fresh compost in the Spring will help to get them going.

Also :)
http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=chilli+overwintering

Last edited:
Soldato
@Daytrader that's an epic haul!

@Pigeon_Killer That tail!! Gnarly AF what is it? Looks like a reaper with that tail!

My plants are slowly growing...

The padrons, jals, sweet pickle chilies and birds eyes are all flowering nicely now. I have white bhut, naga morich, lemoncello, trinidad scorpions, katie, hab moras, white bhut, Aji habs, fattali lemon, black scorpion, 7 pot and reapers! I'm looking forward to making chili sauce :p

Soldato
@Daytrader that's an epic haul!

My plants are slowly growing...

The padrons, jals, sweet pickle chilies and birds eyes are all flowering nicely now. I have white bhut, naga morich, lemoncello, trinidad scorpions, katie, hab moras, white bhut, Aji habs, fattali lemon, black scorpion, 7 pot and reapers! I'm looking forward to making chili sauce :p

Cheers, think we got a week or two of good chilli weather coming up, i love fatalii chilli, my fav hot chilli, your fatalii lemon sounds interesting, never made sauce before, got loads from last year still to try and make chilli sauce.

Back
Top Bottom