2019 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
Nice, they look evil and knobbly, almost lost my polly tunnel through the night, did not sleep, just in case i had to run out and take it down, all day today been bad as well, think tonight i may loose it, and everything in it. :(

Soldato
My plants outside went over last night but were still okay this morning. Must be one hell of a root structure as very little soil came out despite the pots going right over on their sides :D. These are spare plants as the ones I harvest from are indoors.
About to harvest a load of yellow Trinidad bonnets.

Caporegime
Nice, they look evil and knobbly, almost lost my polly tunnel through the night, did not sleep, just in case i had to run out and take it down, all day today been bad as well, think tonight i may loose it, and everything in it. :(
That's annoying. When I move house I was thinking about a polytunnel instead of a greenhouse but didn't consider the weather. Side on and it gets blown down, face on and your plants get a unhealthy wind tunnel for the night.

Soldato
I bought one of those pop-up greenhouses, i guess similar to a polytunnel. Mine is tucked in the corner of our garden and is tied to the fences. It survived both windy events we've had recently.

Soldato
Plate of yellow trinidad bonnets :). Still plenty of the plants too, both ripe and green. I've put all my plants outside now as had become too big. The plants I put outside a while ago are doing okay and not been stripped of fruit by the magpies. I have a few containers full of chillies now frozen so these will last me all winter now but will take some from the plants as they ripen.
Didn't get away totally free of insects. While putting the pods on the plate I noticed a few tiny grey things running around fast. Any idea what these are? Don't think they're aphids as examining the plants I couldnt actually see any evidence of them, just easy to see on the white plate.
I mostly just have these now. The red finger chilli plant I have has leaves turning yellow and although there's some new leaf growth, they're no buds. No idea what happened with that one, did wonder if might have overwatered at some point. One of the bonnets went similar too, yellow leaves although still new buds on that one.

BonnetPlate.jpg

Soldato
Fatalli ripening well now.
20200830-133302.jpg

Pinocchio's nose ripening also, dam long, loads on plant, 4 feet high.
20200830-133118.jpg
20200830-132954.jpg
20200830-132941.jpg
20200830-144846.jpg

Fresno.
20200830-133102.jpg

Scotch bonnett red, had loads off this already.
20200830-133341.jpg

Jalapeno ready now, but want them hotter and spicier, so will let go red.
20200830-133015.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeh this year i decided to grow mainly chillis that were not that hot, fresno lovely heat just to have in sandwiches, fatalli and bonnett my only two hot chillis, and they were both overwintered, was really surprised by my Pinocchio's nose, as the seeds were from 2013 :), but i keep all my seeds in back of fridge, also i am still eating frozen chillis from 2013, still as good as the day i froze them.

Soldato
That is just weird looking. Interesting too is the plate. How long have had those? Reminds me of plates my parents had many years ago. Brings back memories anyway

Last edited:
Caporegime
My pepper plants had a hair cut tonight, removed most of the ripe peppers which was around 1/3 of all of the peppers on the plants. Only picked 2 Scorpions because it got too dark to see what was ripe but have 4 plants to go through tomorrow.

The Chocolate Reapers are the most consistent in terms of size and shape, the Douglahs are the most consistent in terms of blistering heat and I'm sure two of my Borg 9 plants are actually Habanero plants but they've got the weird underside like the Borgs so I'm not sure.

17 x Chocolate Douglahs
14 x Ghosts
2 x Trinidad Scorpions
18 x Carolina Reapers
40 x Chocolate Reapers
62 x Borg 9
102 x Borg 9/Habanero

Last edited:
Soldato
My pepper plants had a hair cut tonight, removed most of the ripe peppers which was around 1/3 of all of the peppers on the plants. Only picked 2 Scorpions because it got too dark to see what was ripe but have 4 plants to go through tomorrow.

The Chocolate Reapers are the most consistent in terms of size and shape, the Douglahs are the most consistent in terms of blistering heat and I'm sure two of my Borg 9 plants are actually Habanero plants but they've got the weird underside like the Borgs so I'm not sure.

17 x Chocolate Douglahs
14 x Ghosts
2 x Trinidad Scorpions
18 x Carolina Reapers
40 x Chocolate Reapers
62 x Borg 9
102 x Borg 9/Habanero

That's one hell of a haul!

I've only been picking off ones that I'd use, I figured it's too late in the season for it to now start fruiting more.

What are you planning to do with them all?

Back
Top Bottom