2021 Season Chilli Growing

Associate
Soon time to start my seeds for 2021 outdoor growing season..

No greenhouse or tunnel here in London so my chilli's will be rawdogging the outside. I've a tiny grow tent with a 100w LED that I've been growing in for a few months. Not done an outdoor chilli grow before though, will be digging through seeds of over 100 varieties to decide on 20 or so plants.

Any other Londoners growing outside this year?

Soldato
Ohhh yeah, good shout.

I have a polytunnel and have grown chillis over the years but didnt grow any at all last year.

I have had varying sucess but one year grew some dorset nagas that went really well, got tons of fruit and they were really hot. I have grown caroline reapers once.

I will grow some mild "generic" chillis this year as honestly, the hot ones are just not particularly practical for my cooking needs.

But yes, must get ordering some seeds and get them in soon, December is the time to start them indoors until about late April.

EDIT: I have just ordered some seeds, sold as super long chily, but I am familiar with the variety my Dads friend grew some on his alotment and apparently do very well in this country so I will give those a go this year and they are not rediculously hot either and give quite a good bit of fruit.

EDIT 2: Like these:

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Here's my indoor grow. There's 33 plants in there, most are in tiny 100ml bottles.

v5qZNfv.jpg

HoXHUiv.jpg

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion:
N5J4VH8.jpg

Sugar Rush Peach:
5r2XECF.jpg

Soldato
I had a decent crop from mine last year but ended up killing them off early as I was fighting a losing battle with greenfly so I've not had any on the go for a while. I'm just looking at which seeds to buy now but I'll probably limit myself to a few plants again so I'm not taking over the house.

Caporegime
mine are still growing from last year with fruit on them..
They seem okay with less sun just sat in a cold south facing window behind a net curtain

Associate
OP
Got most of my seeds for the outdoor grow this year starting.

TCQkPCn.jpg

The strains I've planted are:

Golden Cayenne
Ariane (sweet)
Jalapeno Lemon Spice
Aji Lemon / Lemon Drop
Sugar Rush Peach Stripey
Aji Mango
Habanero White
Pink Habanero
Skunk Chocolate
CGN 21500
Pockmark Orange
Mini Olive Rocoto
Turbo Pube

Got room for another 6-8 plants so might add a few more soon depending on the number that actually germinate. Been having good results using Root!t sponges so I should have most of these come up.

Caporegime
Here's mine from last year still never dropped all it's leaves and fruiting during winter?

It's in a way too small a pot to now... without the string I'm certain it snaps under it's own weight at least twice
Zy7xZ9K.jpg euqP0aH.jpg
it only dropped the leaves that get shadow from the window frame, everything in the closeup photo is new over winter lol... not even fed it just water....
There's 2 red peppers but I don't know if they are really ripe, they skipped yellow and went straight to red? green to red in like 3-4 days.... a couple of months back lol....

got a bigger one in the kitchen window with peppers on it too lol... the one in the kitchen has a trunk like 3x the width looks more like a tree than a plant...

Last edited:
Soldato
Here's mine from last year still never dropped all it's leaves and fruiting during winter?

It's in a way too small a pot to now... without the string I'm certain it snaps under it's own weight at least twice
Zy7xZ9K.jpg euqP0aH.jpg
it only dropped the leaves that get shadow from the window frame, everything in the closeup photo is new over winter lol... not even fed it just water....
There's 2 red peppers but I don't know if they are really ripe, they skipped yellow and went straight to red? green to red in like 3-4 days.... a couple of months back lol....

got a bigger one in the kitchen window with peppers on it too lol... the one in the kitchen has a trunk like 3x the width looks more like a tree than a plant...

I've got one on the windowsill that's still growing, although full of greenfly/aphids, so I'll need to coat it in soapy water.

Caporegime
check this cutting, been trying to root it for like 3months LOL.....

it's got loads of white stubbly bits where it's starting though.
912R1Qd.jpg
I think erm..... that pepper is stealing all the energy......... it was just a tiny flower I thought would fall off when I took the cutting.

purposely want the cutting because out of my seed pack 1 plant had a completely different phenotype and it's about 3x as wide as the others in the trunk

Associate
OP
Had an order for some nice chilli seeds cancelled by Vertiloom due to Brexit - They're not sending seeds to the UK for the foreseeable due to custom charges etc :(

Associate
OP
if you get stuck Ill send you some of mine.

rotters

Thanks mate, I'm not going to be stuck though, in fact I may have a bit of a problem... Already have seeds of over 120 varieties, most of which I'll probably never grow :rolleyes:
Just there's always something new and interesting coming along :D

Soldato
Just ordered myself some plug plants to be delivered in the spring.

Aji Lemon Chilli Plug Plant
Aji Orange Colorado Chilli
Beaver Dam Chilli
Jalapeño Dieghito Chilli
Pasilla Bajio/Chilaca Chilli
Serrano Chilli
Turkish Snake Chilli

Ive not grown these before and £2.50 a plug plant I am ok with that as Ill have the seeds for next time.

Back
Top Bottom