2021 Season Chilli Growing

Associate
@Griffo both sets of plants looking really good mate.
Can't believe the size of them, they dwarf anything I have at this stage.

@pooey The stripes on that pod look awesome.
Really hope I get some fun phenos this year!

I have setup the no name Chinese led quantum board and have been running it for a little while now.
Overall I'm pretty impressed, the packaging was very basic but protective enough, speed of postage very good all things considered.
Build quality of the light reasonable although I'm, not convinced on the authenticity of the driver and led diodes. it is however easily as bright or brighter than any of my other led lights I have bough in the same price bracket. The plants seem to be responding to it very well, the nicest surprise was how well the heat dispensation works, it runs pretty cool and doesn't hugely overheat the grow space. In summary it gets a thumbs up from me and in my experience having tried a multitude of budget lights if that is what you want then this is where to start.

Started my hardening off period today getting the plants out in the shade for an extended period of time and some direct sunlight too.
No major disasters so hopefully things will be good to move outside for the season come May. Just going to increase the outside duration day on day then brave the nights in May.

I'll get some pics up later of the grow space and plants :p

Soldato
@pooey

I meant to update you on how your seeds did.

3 out of the 5 germinated.

A: Sugar Rush Peach x Carolina Reaper Burgandy
B: Sugar Rush Peach x Big Mamma Caramel
C: Big Mamma Caramel x Sugar Rush Peach Stripey

Tiny plants but I will overwinter these in my orangery and hopefully have a mega crop next year. I am also going to experiment with Kratky and ground growth on those I have multiples of.

ty in advance...so looking forward to these.

rotters

Soldato
I have setup the no name Chinese led quantum board and have been running it for a little while now.

I'll get some pics up later of the grow space and plants :p

Hi mate, is your LED board in a grow tent? I found your post with links and was poised to buy but wanted to check what else was needed. The photos you're going to post will probably answer the question tbf

Associate
OP
@pooey

3 out of the 5 germinated.

A: Sugar Rush Peach x Carolina Reaper Burgandy
B: Sugar Rush Peach x Big Mamma Caramel
C: Big Mamma Caramel x Sugar Rush Peach Stripey

Hey man, thanks for the update :)
Glad you're having success with some of them, did none of the Antep Aci Dolma and Black Kathumby show up? I've had 100% on those guys!

Associate
Hi mate, is your LED board in a grow tent? I found your post with links and was poised to buy but wanted to check what else was needed. The photos you're going to post will probably answer the question tbf

Hey @Cadder !
Yes my generic Chinese led quantum board is zip tied into the top of my grow tent.
The tent I have is just a mini 60cmx60cmx60cm and the 65W light seems gives a good footprint when centred and an intensity the plants are responding to well so far.
Sorry I can't give any specifics on light values as there is very little info from the sellers on these things and measuring them requires specific tools.
Given how cheap it is though and the results I have seen so far though I think it does the trick.

Tbh you don't need a grow tent specifically you could just mount the light in an old bedside cabinet or a wardrobe or something.
I do like the tent though as it can be folded up and packed away tidily, it is reflectively lined, waterproof, and has drawstring opening for ventilation.
Again it wasn't what I would consider very expensive so felt like it was worth buying.

Pics to follow!

Associate
OP
@Rathian Is the driver on the back of the LED panel or is it located further back along the wire? Looks pretty legit though! That little tent looks awesome, mine is full of shonky plastic connectors, I'm almost as green as those gloriously metal tubes with envy :D And zip ties... why didn't I think of that when I was trying to maximise available height in my small tent!
Plants are looking nice too, what's that one in the top of the pic? He looks keen as beans!

Associate
@pooey yup the driver is mounted on the back of the panel.
It is quite small so doesn't take up too much space and actually helps by adding a bit of weight to the panel so it hangs nice and flat.
Honestly fo the money I'm not sure there is a better budget option out there right now on the market.

When I bought the tent again I wasn't expecting much but for £40 incl. delivery it has metal poles, connectors and a pretty heavy duty canvas.
Trying to hang the light was a bit of a faff with the hangers provided and so I was rummaging through my DIY box and the zip ties jumped out as the perfect solution.
The poles that run along the top of the tent that the light is zip tied to can slide back and forth too allowing for light placement changes.

The plant in the top is a mystery one but it has been growing pretty fast, I did give it a hair cut and chopped some of the big sun leaves to get some inter nodal growth going.
It stunted it a bit initially but it's really picking up pace again now and has a much better shape.

Last edited:
Associate
Got some nice density going there for sure :cool:
Looks like a C.Annuum if I had to put money on it.

I think you're right @pooey based on the leaf shape.
Wish some of my other plants would bush out a bit!

The morning hardening off session seemed to go ok but it did get a bit windy and they started drooping so I panicked and brought them in.
they seem fine with the light levels but the wind seems to hit them hard.
I need to add a fan to the tent to simulate some wind and get the stems toughened up!

Some of my plants seems to have quite blotchy / patchy leaves with some dark green bits and some light green. They are also a bit wrinkly.
Any ideas? I'm thinking either bad watering (guilty) or maybe cal mag deficiency....?

Soldato
Another week from mine, just one for example below, doing well. The rest are the same and the neem oil solution seems to be working, although our spray bottle is leaky and the stuff stinks.

I guess this is what is meant by the roots sticking out the bottom (pic below). My wife is currently out and about so she's added bigger plat pots to her list :D

y4mZyd1jKEv8DkenqAhxmPTgW_oFTKguu7zN9LVdVRQIm6tHeE9jz8rw4BMh_nGwOnpPKh5Jsq1YjkuBvybzpDSf6da_1DgHVy2CMurS8tbGVLQD_p313VPFKrYTbky4kQDjnF47ZnO1NAKKplTbr-CW6HTFPfnd0GRhGsckDhDHmytsGGHxnoQwtXsz9hMX_lZ

y4mzdFEbSngny7cokwYXCl8x2HL7bMDNGA2LMJIML-HWxmm2aEzsXbaikoCI0wmCe9K0oW87nDc4PS6mlLxdNqx5xrmE8l48dxyMYQemH3nRZA6ibYkUVL_UHLC_ba_Fzz2Zwsc1SQUJJjpfXCzy2-57Du1doNXF3vf3V9xufKXPXSJmp17hOLdG0B4Xj9p-vju

@Rathian your setup looks great, I'll have a look for something like that. I'll not be going over 5 plants this year and I think I should give them their best chance especially if it won't cost much. I was reading that the Amazon lights come with sunglasses because the light is harmful to human eyes. I take it your grow tent doesn't "leak" light? Don't fancy sitting at my desk donning some cheapo gegs while grafting haha.

Associate
OP
The symptoms of specific deficiencies/viruses/stress are still not so clear to me, I've had so many blotches, wrinkles, curls, discolourations and wilting and haven't really changed anything as a result. Most of my issues have been sorted by changing out the nutrient solution they were in or giving them some water/nutes after neglecting them.

I usually refer to resources like this:
https://www.yara.co.uk/crop-nutrition/sweet-pepper/nutrient-deficiencies-pepper/

Then decide I have no idea what I'm doing and keep on keeping on, no dead plants yet :D

Associate
@Cadder Looking good mate the Choc BBG is looking super healthy. Definitely time to pot up I think based on those roots poking through the bottom.
When you come to do it grab a pic of the full root system once out of the pot, would be great to see what's going on in there fully!

Yup the grow tent is light proof and doesn't leak anything.
To be honest I don't wear any eye protection as the led panel is recessed in the top of the tent and my eyes only come into contact with the light once it has significantly dissipated.
I also of course never look directly at the board when it is illuminated in the same way you wouldn't stare directly at the sun.

@pooey Glad to hear i'm not the only one with various abnormalities in their plants.
It's feels pretty impossible to be certain based on the charts as to what deficiency is occurring if any. The visual symptoms seem to overlap a lot and plants vary from one specimen to the next too. I'm with you on resigning to accepting I have no idea and to hit it with a boost of fertiliser and try to stop overwatering lol :cry:

Soldato
Haha so it's just common sense then when it comes to protecting eyes from the panel? I can do that, I think!

So far we have the option of an 18cm round pot or 21cm square pot to put these chillies in. Ideally this would be the final pot. Can anyone see any issues with that?

I will take a pic when it comes to potting. Might be tonight, might be tomorrow, but should be soon!! :D

Associate
@Cadder I am just following a common sense approach but you can't be too careful at the end of the day.
Again it is a tad difficult as there is so little technical documentation, regulation, quality control etc....

Re the pot I would go for the bigger of the two. Any idea on how many litres the pots are?
Looking forward to seeing the plant settled in its final home, exciting times.

Associate
Just to add on the grow tent front, mine is a large cardboard box I opened out and then taped kitchen foil to :D.
Can't promise I won't cave and get a proper one though!

Back
Top Bottom