2021 Season Chilli Growing

Associate
Just to add on the grow tent front, mine is a large cardboard box I opened out and then taped kitchen foil to :D.
Can't promise I won't cave and get a proper one though!

Haha I can relate, I can't tell you how many random draws, cabinets etc have been converted with electrical tape and emergency blankets :cry:
Not to mention the gutted and converted PC case. The look on my other half's face when she opens a draw and find yet more plants being grown is priceless.

Anyone growing anything else this year? I have decided to branch out a bit so am growing tomatoes, peas and chard too. Not getting anywhere near as much attention as the chillis of course. Oh and these super weird things called cucmelons just because they looked fun

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've got a small selection of random things:
Couple of bean and pea varieties, garlic, corn, tomato, courgette and 3 squash varieties.

Soldato
Anyone growing anything else this year?

5 varieties of sweet pea.
TOMATO GIGANTOMO F1
TOMATO SNOWBERRY
Tomatillo Pineapple Physalis Ixocarpa
Tomato Currant
Tomato Sungold F1
TOMATO CHRISTMAS GRAPE
Hot Chilli Pepper Poinsettia
Hot Pepper Mexibell F1
VEGETABLE HOT CHILLI PEPPER MONKEY FACE YELLOW
HOT CHILLI PEPPER JALAPENO M
BEETROOT RAINBOW MIX
Vegetables Cucumber Crystal Lemon
Cucumber Gherkin Piccolo Di Parigi
Cucumber Spacemaster
Cabbage Pak Choi White Stem
Herbs Mint Egyptian Round Leaf
Herb Spearmint Mentha Spicata
Vegetable Brussel Sprout Red Bull
Vegetable Brussel Sprouts Darkmar
Broad Bean Pink Karmazyn
Broad Bean Grano Violetto Winter Hardy
Climbing French Bean CobraSeed Count
Runner Bean Scarlet Emperor
Pea Purple Mangetout Snow Pea Shiraz
Vegetables Pea Sugar Snap Pea Delikett
GOJI BERRY - LYCIUM BARBARUM
Lettuce Saladin Iceberg
Squash Blue Hubbard
Radish Crimson Giant
Radish Mixed Coloured Easter Egg
VEGETABLE RADISH MALAGA PURPLE
Kale Borecole Nero Di Toscana Black Tuscan
Strawberry Spinach - CHENOPODIUM CAPITATUM
Spinach Perpetual
Melon Ogen
Passion Fruit
Basil Red 150 seeds and Green
Winter Squash Marina Di Chioggia
Tomato San Marzano Italian Plum
Tomato Marmande VR
More Tomatoes:
Candy's Old Yellow - Candy Stripes
Rozella
Beam's Yellow Pear
Mrs. Schlaubaugh’s Famous Strawberry
Regina's Yellow
Big Orange Stripe
Dwarf Awesome
Blondkopfchen
Green Bombs Green Bombs

Black tail Mountain watermelon
Petit Gris de Rennes Melon
I also have:
Asparagus
josterberries
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Goldenberries
raspberries
blackberries
Garlic
leeks
shallots

a few Chillies:
Jamaican mushroom bonnets
pumpkin spice jalapeno
Jalapenos
Basket of fire
piquants
Aji Lemon
Aji Orange Colorado
Beaver Dam
Jalapeño Dieghito
Pasilla Bajio/Chilaca
Serrano
Turkish Snake

In my orangery I have:
8 apples
3 figs
1 lime
1 peach
6 blueberries
2 oranges
1 mandarin
1 cherry
1 pear
1 charlotte Rousse mulberry
And a Victorian plum

And Ive missed out loads too. sorry for caps, it was copy and paste from emails.

Most important plant on my allotment is comfrey. Its the most amazing plant and the bees love it...but I ferment it and make liquid gold to feed my chillies.

rotters

Associate
@rotters ! Woah! Serious business! Jealous of the space you no doubt have to grow all that! :D
And in Cornish sunshine too!

An allotment is the dream!
Waiting lists here are really long and private ones cost a fortune.
I'm hoping though I'll be able to get something in the next couple of years for when my little one is a bit bigger.
Be great to get him into the action and give him an exciting place to play too.

Associate
OP
This little plant pushed out a comparatively huge pod, with a super dense canopy. What a champ! :D

Gonna let it ripen to the point the pod starts getting a little soft to make sure I get the best / most mature seeds from this guy.

Soldato
This little plant pushed out a comparatively huge pod, with a super dense canopy. What a champ! :D

Gonna let it ripen to the point the pod starts getting a little soft to make sure I get the best / most mature seeds from this guy.

That looks unreal. Nicely done with that bad lad/lass! Did you chop up an old wetsuit for that plant pot? ;)

Soldato
So the "Great Cadder Chilli Replant" took place today. I've not messed about with plants much before this but it seemed to go well. I tried to remember the tips from this thread. Anyway, the pics are what's important so here we go. The Naga Viper didn't participate here since my wife bought a 4-pack of pots and saucers. It's going to be my baby so we'll spring for a nicer pot for that one.

We'll start with a before pic, the line-up of the other four. Then a side-by-side of existing and new pot. Following that there's a line-up of the roots and finally, their final homes complete with decorative stones.

y4mHQE25voDNJl-iQGYaXjL-pW3Qs5z9BTbCXdTVOqtEb2j3gEqgoFhwVqEZqiRwZlqK4J-adZMdYOLbZ5OKhGU1NjiAbYTjFeqibqY5ydgXwSwO9BG-xQtlCu_TX3FB5pALOaIMq7NVOHMfycBaiLtVU6IXVBUscnls28HDkRLNUhdVVwgw00i5ildHSpLghtH

y4mR8UF-epidtFBEne3pWuoZxsdheTyvKfcHwErFswgu4sP4p9GB5l7CEU7Z1QhAd-cwCMZ5P1Y-yKCLY6Nv42zgojhtSfqqoNFFp2JMwWPrk6vuuxyVRjbHndXuhe5nnA9ktZj-cqLwkVdY1ADKm32g6KLb8AtmzJEYlpnFjkfAL5TNMZQ_gwZmAWxa-9bjPr4

y4mTgNVsjnMbLJHCvouMjN5XYjgu4zxPaeMl5fcq_QBGI50EnOBcBgcQi46mgM4MpMLQWy0khAbStZi16OPw-fxF2ow9eWQyLdg2xPi6WpI2FhsI4_kETvYTHnT3Jq45GQfEK9feJ3NNYHZqr9hLkMb1VqXt56U02KM6o3mnmLklC59mxgT6ATLjleXJrBHy-K0

y4mSRgsMmNUMl1UKCPgC48_8TW6gki8DqvpGK3Alk-hUxVYRbWFEC71pYz43HgUNPjyiRFyhkVrjqvrab3ZS7tosiGDdBHspqxp3pLQZnRUxwxts6J0z9m1Ci2Vbrkk7mPL2Vwpbl9k7pT5WngQ5v6Bv20UsDeBzy-NW-t5iodIWsVL75YeRpmoBRqn3qpsjS2w

Soldato
looking good @Cadder, mine aren't far behind that, but then I have some tiny little plants...Hoping they beef up soon. How many Litres is that pot?

Nice, post some pics if you can, I'd like to see if I'm doing this right haha.

Theyre just "21cm" Square pots. They taper down so the calculation isn't easy but I work out around 8 litres. Reckon that would do for the final pot or do I need to up size them again later?

Associate
OP

Not only is it one of the prettiest peppers I've ever grown it was probably also the tastiest! So sweet and juicy, not very hot but still a little zing. I only went for a little taste but ended up eating half the pod straight up!

Excellent pepper and a decent amount of seeds from him too, I'm going to keep the plant going for crosses and more pods because he's a champ!

Associate
I planted some chilli seeds (got them from the local garden centre not sure what type) in a pot about two weeks ago alongside pea and tomato seeds (different pots). The pea and tomato ones have sprouted, but not the chilli ones :( any tips? I water them every day and they are on next too a sunny window inside.

Associate
Perhaps put them in a bag, we'll watered, sealed, and in airing cupboard or somewhere constantly warm. That's what I'm doing with a couple. Digging them up and doing the damp tissue thing is probably a bit late heh.

Back
Top Bottom