2021 Season Chilli Growing

Caporegime
Here's what I'm growing somewhat late... started germination for the majority on the 24th may, courgettes a bit earlier and cauliflowers that hate me also.

I did have some over wintered plants but didn't like the peppers so killed them (romano)
9kRp7a6.jpg
tjHbpVj.jpg
7FBB5yT.jpg

my cauliflowers are useless and keep acting over/under watered I think I will give up on them soon... I don't get it.

everything apart from the courgette and cauliflowers was germinated at the same time, the courgette already flowered 3x too, hope they are self pollinating and I didn't need a male or something, I never bothered to check.
the flowers only open breiefly anyway then close and kinda shrivel on themselves so I guess it self pollinates.

check how fast the 2 climbing beans in the same pot grew.... it's like 4-5ft tall whilst my peppers and tomatoes which I started germinating at the same time are still tiny..., the runner grows 3inches or more each day kinda cool, you could probably watch it and notice it growing even...

way more attractive a plant than I imagined too, I love how vibrant the green leaves are.(doesn't show with my crap cam and there in the shade now)

my peppers seem to be finally taking off, the real leaves pretty much doubled in size over night.

30% pyrite in most, had to do 50% in some though cos was running out of compost.... looks way more cos it floats if you drown your plant pots with the shower :/

Last edited:
Associate
How are those who who have their plants outdoors doing?
Mine are soaked through and could really do with a break in the wet weather to get the soil moisture levels back down.
On the plus side the leaves were due a wash to get all the built up particles off them and the slightly cooler weather I am hoping will encourage some fruit to set.
everything looking very glossy green now :D

Caporegime
Mine look healthy but I only gave them a good watering just before the rain. All of them are flowering but the flowers are pointing downwards, is this normal?
the first flowers will probably drop off ,but if they set then peppers will start growing from the flower.

watch this from seed to ripe peppers time lapse

They will drop if
  • the plant doesn't feel ready (too less light or too less leaves and still in the veg state)
  • it doesn't get pollinated
  • it doesn't have enough of a certain nutrient (epsom salts for magnesium? I think was the fix but google it)

yours are outside by the sounds of it so even if you have no visiting bees or whatever then the wind will do it all for you anyway.

if it were indoors you would shake the plant or flick each flower with chilli/pepper plants ( some plants are different and have male and female flowers, pepper plants are like lady gaga

Last edited:
Soldato
Elephant garlic has worked.

all cleaned up

took my hipster allotment to another level by smoking the garlic in situ at the plot.

Chillies are coming on nicely. I need to pot some on as they looked cramped.

rotters

Associate
@rotters That garlic looks epic!
Seriously good effort, i'm liking the sound of it being smoked too.
Another very wet day here yesterday, outlook is a bit drier today but not that warm.
Could really do with a stint of hot weather again to dry things out.

Associate
OP
@pooey how are you getting on?

Still going although quite distracted with doggo and work!

I have moved a few choice plants outside again but in a better location where they're safe from foxes and other shenanigans. From left to right:
Hainan Yellow Lantern, Skunk Chocolate, Lemon Drop, SRPS, Mini Olive Roccoto

Here's one of my garlic beds (bonus black or rasp berry) that has been savaged by foxo

The tent has been in basic maintenance mode, I'll get some pics of anything notable later since they're due a watering :)

Associate
OP
Got a nice pod from my Big Mamma Mustard, not sure if it was fully ripe but it just fell off when I was fondling it...

Thing was crazy green on the inside! Got some viable looking seed - It's a cross with Cheiro Recife so hopefully they'll germinate.

And here's another look at the Costa Rican Orange x SRPS F1 - Pods coming out all over the place!

Soldato
@pooey they look great! I am just getting flowers out of most of mine.

Hungarian Black has recovered but is just growing leaves, barely any sign of flowers.
Naga has shot up and grown big healthy-looking leaves, now showing some small flowers.
Choc BBG that was heavily pruned is looking happy with plenty of flowers
Aji Mango seems really happy and hasn't been raving recently. It's upright and has had a few days outside when it was hot.
Mushroom Bonnet is really leafy and flowery

It seems all five of my chillies are behaving differently to each other. Not surprising since they have all been treated differently. I know my plants are quite behind but they're looking big now. Only 3 fit on the office windowsill now.

Associate
Elephant garlic has worked.

all cleaned up

took my hipster allotment to another level by smoking the garlic in situ at the plot.

Chillies are coming on nicely. I need to pot some on as they looked cramped.

rotters
Those garlic bulbs look awesome, makes our measly 6 I grew in our tiny garden. redundant. I wish we had an allotment I did contract my local parish about availability on ours.

Soldato

@pooey your Sugar Rush peach V Big mama Caramel is about 80cm tall now and flowering.

I am over the moon with it.

rotters

Looking good there Rotters. Hope you get some decent chillies.

My first pepper emerged recently, from the Choc BBG. Pic below:

y4mX2Q9JiNXW0Gl0qCl5etMuL6I0PPml5yd68l3BZb6H36LjVVJi2KmddJrwvg74iYVDPzMIfyL0kaQeYh_suGs3FFia7MudvOAV9zEANorDaj81B93la66QyCmkWEJWVy5wdzPhbqlMn61FUOrqQe60ahqZLQnskfffk1sqy_OtZbtykg7uZ5Sd7zzaedDXetD

The others aren't doing too much, although three have flowers so I expect something will happen with them soon. The Naga and Hungarian Black have flower buds but nothing exciting happening there. The Hungarian Black is very very leafy so I'm trialling something I saw on a YouTube video - basically the lad decided to stop watering his leafy chilli plant on the theory that it would go into "survival mode" and flower like crazy. Worked for him so I'll give it a bash.

Soldato
My window sill plantation is doing well at the moment. I've managed to cultivate a good crop of little spiders on them that are doing a grand job of keeping the aphids under control. I still check them over once a day, and find the odd one or two that needs squishing, but so far, no major infestations, and no sprays needed.

Got pods on all of them now, looks like I've got 4-5 cherry bomb, a couple of Aji Orange, I think a regular bell pepper, and I'm not 100% sure what the remaining ones are, the pods aren't big enough yet. Think they may be orange habaneros.

The tray got knocked over when they were germinating, hence I have no idea what's what unti it fruits :D

Soldato
@mid_gen that must be kind of exciting - a mystery box of chillies ha! Send me some of those spiders please, in case of an aphid reboom...

In other news, a couple of weeks ago we placed a cut branch from one of the plants (Choc BBG I think) in a glass of water and have left it alone. It hasn't died so we're persisting. Hopefully it will turn into it's own plant. There is activity at the cut site on this branch so hopefully that's roots forming.

Soldato
7 of my 8 plants are flowering and 4 of them are beginning to grow Chillies. One plant, the Fresno, has 4 peppers on the go already. The 8th plant, a cayenne pepper, doesn't look too well at all, so I'm going to euthanaise him.

Back
Top Bottom