2021 Season Chilli Growing

Soldato
Exciting evening with the chillis, first one of the freshly picked cherry bombs, cut top off, scooped seeds out, chucked a bit of cheese in and wolfed it down. Probably not the most sensible way to test heat, but hey :) Was a fair bit hotter than I was expecting, had hiccups for 10 minutes! Tasty though.

Had a small portion of chilli that needed eating too, decided to spice that up by roughly chopping an Aji Orange and chucking it in for a few minutes...definitely gave it some zing.

Next year I need to do some superhots again though, need more heat!

Associate
OP
Here's one of the outdoor chaps, got a few early pods going but many more to come, the later ones might not make it due to just how long it takes these guys to ripen, SRPS such a tease!
Not sure how effective the copper tape is really but so far no slug or snail pressure on these guys.

Soldato
Aji Lemon

Sugar rush peach bell x big mamma caramel

Mexibell

Turkish Snake

Pasilia bajio

Dieghito

Serano

Aco

BEN

Papaya

Yuzu

Passionfruit

Pomegranate

Moringa

Magenta tree Spinach

San Marzano 3 tomatoes

More big mexibells

Dulce et Espania peppers

unfortunately, my dad passed away last Saturday..it kep me away from my plot. This whopper was the result... it's a mutant "courgette". TBH its the only thing that has made me smile all week.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@rotters Sorry for your loss mate, glad you can find a little comfort in the garden in the guise of mutant courgettes, thing is a monster!

Peppers looking great mate! Great variety of lovely things.
I've been tempted to start a few yuzu trees - Think they have some OK cold tolerance for citrus

Associate
@rotters saddened to hear about your dad, I hope your faring ok. Your plot looks like some kind of RHS exhibition! Great work and that courgette is astounding and definitely a bit comedic haha.

My plants are getting bigger than anticipated and the depth of the self watering tubs is becoming a bit of an issue. They aren’t deep enough to anchor such big plants especially with the weight of the fruit. I am struggling them up to the fence to give some extra support and that seems to be working :)

All plants have fruit now with more showing up every day and them growing in size super fast. Few pics below showing the overall size of the plants and if you zoom in a bit you can see all the chillis!

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Condolences mate. And that is some marrow. If you can't find a better use for it, buy an old microwave and stick the thing on max (on the patio). It makes a neat lightning show. Clarkson did it on his chatshow way back. Can't find a clip of it sadly.

Or you could try making rum from it. https://huntergathercook.typepad.co...d_fres/2010/08/marrow-rum-farmyard-hooch.html (beware blinding yourself though...)

I love these two options! :cry:

1 - Blow it up
2 - Make moonshine from it.

I feel like they both speak to the human condition on a primal level.

Soldato
love it when chillies turn black..won't be long until they are red.

size of that!!

Lemon Cucumber! looking forward to trying this.

I grafted this apple a year ago...so very pleased to have this fruit.

Associate
OP
Some update shots from today's maintenance. Hoping for a lot of seed stock from the Black Kathumby and Antep Aci Dolma eventually, not really targeting them for crosses ATM. I've got a single cross ripening on the CGN21500, love the look of this plant at every stage although the name sucks :D

My SRP x Reaper cross is looking exactly as I'd hoped it would although it is F1 and I'll no doubt need to crow a shedload of F2s out to find the one that carries all the traits I'm after. Similarly for the SRPB x BMC F1 - Plant 2 - The shape is perfect for what I'm after.

Soldato
Does anyone know which peppers/chilis to grow for that Spanish/Portugese tapas dish Pandrano Peppers, the sort of salty quasi roasted peppers in oil?

Soldato

unfortunately, my dad passed away last Saturday..it kep me away from my plot. This whopper was the result... it's a mutant "courgette". TBH its the only thing that has made me smile all week.

AKA a marrow, reminds of my granddad he loved growing marra's as he called them he was a proper flat cap gardener. Sorry for your loss.

Soldato
Yes the variety is Padron :D

I could have sworn the guy in Portugal used a different name. Maybe the Portugese have a different name for it.

Edit: Yeah, using the correct name/spelling for padron makes searching a lot easier. Wiki page says also known as "pemento de Herbón" which is probably what I'm thinking of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom