1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

205/40/17 Tyres - Price?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Phil W, 29 Jul 2006.

1. Phil W

Sgarrista

I've just purchased a set of 17" alloys for the Astra rather cheap, and was wondering what sort of tyres to look for?

I'm not a non-branded budget man, but i do and have used brands such as Federal, Nankang etc etc.

I've been pricing up a set of 4 new tyres (hate replacing pairs) and the current ones are Falken, and i'm not a fan!

I've done some hunting and sources 4x Nankang NS-II for £36.25 each, making it just under £155 including delivery. I have a friend that is a tyre-fitter so thats not a challenge.

Does that sound like a good deal?

Phil

2. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

I can't imagine 17" tyres that cost less than a decent set of 14" tyres being anything other than awful.

3. Scuzi

Man of Honour

Spend a bit extra and go for Toyo T1-R's. They have excellent performance in the wet and dry and the only tyre I know to outperform them (not by much though) is the Goodyear Eagle F1's but they're quite pricey.

Check out www.mytyres.co.uk

£36 17" tyres are going to be crap. You get what you pay for.

4. Moos3h

Associate

5. Phil W

Sgarrista

Woop woop, just read some reviews on them, basically general concensus is to avoid unless i like drifting, or crashing in the wet!

6. Phil W

Sgarrista

These are what are currently on it, £43 a corner.

[​IMG]

Only thing that appeals to me about these tyres is the sloped sidewall, looks awesome.

7. PeterNem

Sgarrista

The don't seem to have much of a choice.

1 tyre available in the size I need (205/50/17), compared to the dozens available on mytyres.co.uk

8. Scuzi

Man of Honour

9. GT3

Sgarrista

A539s, best cheap tyres.

10. Sirrel Squirrel

Sgarrista

I could do with some of those, I'm selling my car and need some cheapo tyres to replace the semi slick on the front (it's not meant to be like that :eek: ) where abouts can you get them £36 tyres from?

11. Barry Smalley

Wise Guy

Dangerous in the wet. T1-S's can be had at the right money.

12. Scuzi

Man of Honour

T1-R > T1-S.

13. Barry Smalley

Wise Guy

Obviously, but as he's on a budget, the T1-S's are perfect. :)

14. wassap

PermaBanned

I paid £52 a corner for some yoko a539`s from a place called jeffries tyres in bromsgrove (west midlands) and thats the cheapest fitted tyres i came across in that size.

15. Wang

Wise Guy

If you are bothered about looks and performance the Goodyear Eagle F1s are a good choice. Got 4 fitted to my car few months ago and the level of grip in wet and dry is brilliant. (Funky tread pattern too :cool: )

16. Phil W

Sgarrista

Nothing wrong with wanting the tyres to look as good as they perform!

Managed to find a pair of tyres that were originally of a set of 4 that a friend and written the two front wheels off, rears had almost full tread on so haved them changed over today.

Well, here's the new wheels :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the new shocks and springs!

Drums are going to be re-painted black i think and hopefully will have 2.0 brakes upfront soon!

17. Gribs

Wise Guy

The nankangs are very good for the price. I've always avoided cheap tyres in the past but modern v rated cheapies do seem ok. I still wouldn't use a less than v rated cheapy though.

18. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Can I ask why you are putting so much effort into a car which you admitted yourself several months ago was simply a cheap shed to get from A to B?

If you want a decent modding project, and of course I see no reason why you shouldn't, why on earth are you using a bottom of the range, godawful Astra 1.4 Merit? You said yourself the only reason you put up with it was becuase it was cheap, it's hardly cheap if you start fitting pointless wheels and bigger brakes to it.

Wheels don't suit the car at all, make it simply look like the sort of thing you'd expect to see down McDonalds on a Friday night driven by somebody with priorities all mixed up - black plastic bumpers, 1.4 litre 75bhp engine.. huge big wheels. Great.

That car is the perfect bangernomics vehicle for totally cheap, no money transport. But the minute you start actually caring about it it becomes totally pointless..